Princess cruise to Hawaii on April 8.

johnvhermes64

As a general rule, Hawaiian waters average 77 degrees in the wintertime to 82 degrees in the summertime. Now, compared to the U.S. West Coast, Hawaiian waters are definitely much warmer (10-20 degrees warmer) than the waters off Southern Calif

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

John, come check out the rollcall for the April 8 Hawaii sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone have any reviews on the ships that go to Hawaii. We're looking & I want to make sure these are good ships. We've done a 14 day B2B on the Regal. We liked the ship overall.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any reviews on the ships that go to Hawaii. We're looking & I want to make sure these are good ships. We've done a 14 day B2B on the Regal. We liked the ship overall.

I've only been on the Royal (sister to the Regal) but this is my 4th or 5th cruise on the Grand. The Grand is smaller, older and not as regal (pardon the pun) as the Regal but I personally find it nicer. I like homey :) Grand, to me has the feel of a small ship and Royal/Regal are definitely big ships. Service is comparable and both styles are nice.

One HUGE difference between the two is that the grand has a promenade on Deck 7 (ok, part of it is on deck 8 - but gets the old heart rate up to do stairs!), Royal/Regal do not have this and it's quite a lovely experience to walk so close to the water. The other major difference is the buffet, Royal/Regal has the better buffet setup.

Them's my 2 cents

I've only been on the Royal (sister to the Regal) but this is my 4th or 5th cruise on the Grand. The Grand is smaller, older and not as regal (pardon the pun) as the Regal but I personally find it nicer. I like homey :) Grand, to me has the feel of a small ship and Royal/Regal are definitely big ships. Service is comparable and both styles are nice.

One HUGE difference between the two is that the grand has a promenade on Deck 7 (ok, part of it is on deck 8 - but gets the old heart rate up to do stairs!), Royal/Regal do not have this and it's quite a lovely experience to walk so close to the water. The other major difference is the buffet, Royal/Regal has the better buffet setup.

Them's my 2 cents

I don't have the stats in front of me but I seem to remember that technically the Grand and Royal are very similar in size at the beam, the length a bit more than 100 ft longer. The big difference is that the Royal has 2-3 more decks and carries 100 more passengers. The Royal has quite a bit more WOW factor, especially in the Atrium and the casual dining (food choices and space) in the Lido area is far superior to The Grand. Most people rave about the staff on the Grand and I do have to agree with them.

Yes, I realize you were referring to the Regal but the Royal and Regal are sister ships.

Actually I was wondering about sea temperatures between San Francisco and Hawaii

He is asking about the SEA temp between SF and Hawaii, not AIR temps or water temp at the beach in Hawaii.

As the ship doesn't stop enroute to go swimming, I have to ask...are you stressed or depressed lately? Get some help if so....nothing is that bad. Sea temp doesn't matter, you won't make it. We had someone jump on a cruise last May, first time that I am aware of in 34 cruises. Hopefully I am misreading or misinterpreting.

AE_Collector

He is asking about the SEA temp between SF and Hawaii, not AIR temps or water temp at the beach in Hawaii.

As the ship doesn't stop enroute to go swimming, I have to ask...are you stressed or depressed lately? Get some help if so....nothing is that bad. Sea temp doesn't matter, you won't make it. We had someone jump on a cruise last May, first time that I am aware of in 34 cruises. Hopefully I am misreading or misinterpreting.

AE_Collector

I was taking it as wanting to know the air temperature on the way to Hawaii. Maybe trying to figure out what to bring to wear the first few and last few days.

We've done this cruise three times but out of LA and always in December and I would bring some warmer clothes for the first few days and wash them for the return trip.

Actually I was wondering about sea temperatures between San Francisco and Hawaii

Temperatures are likely to be very cool for the first two to three days. The last day or day and a half before reaching the islands things should warm up quite a bit.

Try to book the Star or the Ruby. I'd suggest that you wouldn't probably care for the Grand after reading your comments on CC. The Star is older, but, the Ruby has more cabins (Riviera deck added). We like them both. YMMV.

Looking for Recommendations for shore excursions in the Hawaiian islands

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got back from the Grand to Hawaii and I did a short review on this Forum titled "So Happy we tried Princess'. I added a post with what we did on each island. We went independent, though, so if you are looking for Princess excursions it won't help. I spent quite a bit of time on both the CC Hawaii boards and Trip Advisor before we made our decisions. It was time well spent as we loved everything we did.

"So happy we tried Princess" is my review posted a day or 2 ago on this forum. We cruised the Grand to Hawaii on March 10th. We loved the Grand but from reviews I read, not everyone will. This was my first Princess cruise but 44th overall, and one of my very favorite cruises.

I am happy to answer any specific questions.

Very interested in the excursions that you took independently on that Hawaiian cruise how do I find that or can you get back to me with specifics

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2476635 That's the thread for my review. The excursion info is on the fifth post. I posted some pictures towards the end of the thread, and I may add some from our excursions if I have time later on.

I just noticed you are new to this forum. Welcome!

• 11 months later...

You mentioned you have been on 44 cruises. May I ask which lines? We have done NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Our friends want us to go on the Princess to Hawaii, but we don't know how Princess compares to the other lines. Right now, NCL is our favorite due to the freestyle dining and the UBP (nice not to have to sign papers for every drink).

I think you really are asking about the air temperatures while at sea. Expect cooler temps during the first 2 to 3 days and turning pleasantly tropical once you cross the Tropic of Cancer.

Seas could be choppy during the crossing.

Next season the main vessels are the Emerald Princess from San Pedro and the Grand Princess from San Fran. There are also a couple of late seas sailing on the Ruby (sister to the Emerald.

The Grand Princess holds 2,600 passengers. Though it will be 20 years old it is still a very nice ship.

The Emerald is a super Grand class ship with 500 more passengers than the Grand, 3,100.

I prefer the Grand class layouts to the Royal class. Full promenade, lots more lounges, Explorer's Lounge, Club Fusion or Vista Lounge*, Skywalkers or Club One5*, Adagio Lounge**, Separate Wheelhouse Bar and more space around the pools, Terrace Pool, elevators not as crowded, no charge steam and saunas, Grand Princess has an indoor pool. Cabins have larger balconies than the Royal Class ships.Take a look at the deck plans

*Grand

** Emerald

You mentioned you have been on 44 cruises. May I ask which lines? We have done NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Our friends want us to go on the Princess to Hawaii, but we don't know how Princess compares to the other lines. Right now, NCL is our favorite due to the freestyle dining and the UBP (nice not to have to sign papers for every drink).

Princess has the Premier Beverage Package you can view the package at the below web site. The price of $ 68.99/pp/day includes the gratuity. No further tipping or charges added to your account. Includes drinks priced up to $12 menu priced which is about 95% of all drinks on the ship. No signing no papers. There is a 15 alcoholic drink limit/day It takes around 6 to 7 cocktails a day to break even, more if you drink beer or straight whiskey. No limits on non alcoholic drinks such as espresso. During the past two summers Princess has offered a Sip&Sail promo.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/