Female Cabin Attendant

anandaindonesia

Does Celebrity has many FEMALE cabin attendants? Can we request to be served by a female cabin attendant? Or is it not possible?

For some reason DW feels uneasy if a male enters "her room", and prefers a female to do service to the cabin.

So what do think our chances to get a female cabin attendant onboard Celebrity? Thank you.

On our 2010 cruise on the Equinox, the cabin attendant entered our room on two occasions while I was getting dressed (knocked once and entered). I will be on the Silhouette next week by myself and would also prefer a female attendant. Guess I'll be using the DND sign a lot.

In this crazy politically correct world you'll be accused of sex discriminationicon12.gif

I worked for (now long gone) Royal Viking Line in the 1980s. All the cabin stewardesses were young women from Scandinavia who wanted to travel the world. They were fantastic and cleaned like world champs. They were often very pretty blonds and there were sometimes gentlemen passengers who fell in love and had to be spoken with by the Hotel Manager. They got a lot of job offers, too.

That's what the do not disturb sign is for, always use it if you are in your cabin and likely to be in a situation where you would be uncomfortable if one of the staff saw you.

It's no different in land based hotels, very high % are now male room attendants, difference on a ship is the extent to which their actions are monitored by CCTV etc is much, much higher, so hopefully your wife can relax and enjoy her cruise

That's what the do not disturb sign is for, always use it if you are in your cabin and likely to be in a situation where you would be uncomfortable if one of the staff saw you.

It's no different in land based hotels, very high % are now male room attendants, difference on a ship is the extent to which their actions are monitored by CCTV etc is much, much higher, so hopefully your wife can relax and enjoy her cruise

Bingo! Of all my cruises I think I have had one, maybe two female attendants most recently on Eclipse (Juvy who is now on Silhouette) so the chances of getting a female attendant are quite low.

Phil

There are definitely female cabin attendants. But it is the luck of the draw if you get one. As has already been noted, there are two people who service the cabin and they have specified areas for which they are responsible.

I believe that if you flip the deadbolt lock button inside the cabin door when you are in there, that the attendant will not be able to enter. (That is the same lock that you can flip should you wish to not have the door lock itself in the closed position while you step out in the hallway for a moment.The deadbolt prevents the door from latching.)

Bill

Wow! Didn't know that; thanks for posting. :)

There are definitely female cabin attendants. But it is the luck of the draw if you get one. As has already been noted, there are two people who service the cabin and they have specified areas for which they are responsible.

I believe that if you flip the deadbolt lock button inside the cabin door when you are in there, that the attendant will not be able to enter. (That is the same lock that you can flip should you wish to not have the door lock itself in the closed position while you step out in the hallway for a moment.The deadbolt prevents the door from latching.)

Bill

In 9.5 years of cruising on Celebrity, I remember having 2 female

cabin attendants. And no, I do not believe you can request them.

Every deck has whoever...and they have a section of their own.

Attendant and Assistant.

I agree, use the DO NOT DISTURB sign on your door.

Hi Phil:).....Happy New Year to you my friend. Hope you enjoyed

Silhouette....I just booked her for April:D....oops sorry got OT:eek:

guess you can skip the cruise, I be happy to go in your place.:D

Put yourself in their shoes. and then you change your mind.

I am sure we all would love to have our own personal butler, I guess you want the same type service on an airline as well.

the choice is not ours, that make a call and request a room change, maybe the other cabin is thinking the same? why I do not have a Male staff.

no pun intended.

Given the average age and condition of those I've sailed with on Celebrity, My biggest fear would be that my cabin attendent went into trauma having seen me naked and my cabin would not be cleaned for the rest of the trip.

For most of us, I think it's safe to say that the cabin attendant, male or female, would prefer not to see us other than fully clothed.

Before you flame me, look in the mirror :)

Given the average age and condition of those I've sailed with on Celebrity, My biggest fear would be that my cabin attendent went into trauma having seen me naked and my cabin would not be cleaned for the rest of the trip.

For most of us, I think it's safe to say that the cabin attendant, male or female, would prefer not to see us other than fully clothed.

Before you flame me, look in the mirror :)

LOL. That actually happened to my MIL years ago on Princess. I don't think she's recovered yet;)

I didn't realize that female attendants were unusual. We have had 2 - on Equinox and Summit - and they were both absolutely excellent - really made our cruise. Didn't equate that with being female though. Interesting post - dint recall seeing this topic before:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

To the OP : You will not be able to request a female cabin attendant. I'm fairly confident that Celebrity will not make that type of accomodation. There's a chance you might get one, but as most are male - the odds are fairly slim.

However, for those that are worried about getting caught in an uncomfortable situation... Spearmint provided the ideal answer. There's a deadbolt lock in the cabin. Just flip the knob, and the cabin attendant will not be able to enter the room via their keycard.

I hope this helps. Happy New Year !

I am female, I travel alone, I am very much a senior, it is my responsibility to attend to my own safety.

I always place the "Do not Disturb" sign on the door when I am in my room,- and I also LOCK the door.

Not because I am paranoid, frankly at my age no one would get "a thrill" if they saw me me naked!

I use the sign and the lock because I cannot expect the cabin attendent to know if I am in there unless I do this. This is ordinary common sense .

I also do this in any hotel room I am in for the same reasons.

If you really do not wish to be disturbed, put the DND sign out, lock the deadbolt, and put a chair or suitcase aginst the door!

We have resorted to putting objects against the door in hotels where no means of making the door secure have been provided.

Not recommended if you are on you own, for safetly reasons.

Richard

We travel multiple times a month and stay in hotels, cruiseships, etc.

We always turn the deadbolt. Just a habit. Sometimes we are sleeping. Sometimes we want quiet time. Sometimes in shower. Sometimes we are... well, you know.

NDN and deadbolt work just fine.

On our 2010 cruise on the Equinox, the cabin attendant entered our room on two occasions while I was getting dressed (knocked once and entered). I will be on the Silhouette next week by myself and would also prefer a female attendant. Guess I'll be using the DND sign a lot.

And use the internal lock. They can't get in that way :)

And use the internal lock. They can't get in that way :)

Of course they can get in, even with the internal lock locked. Imagine a passenger calling with a heart attack...or a dead passenger. They can however tell if you have locked the door from the inside.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I (the OP) always put the DND on, and DW always insist to turn the lock on at night. So in a way, when we are in the cabin, we are safe, and nobody will see 'what they rather not see' :p

Actually it is something with when we are NOT in the cabin.

DW has a habit (a good one, I must admit) to clean and wash her used 'dainties' every night. She hang those somewhere in the bathroom to let it dry. Well, as you know, sometimes it is not dry enough in one night. So in the morning, before we go to breakfast and before somebody enters the cabin to clean it, she has to make some efforts to keep her 'dainties' away, lest it be seen (or -God forbid- touched) by the attendant.

If we have a female cabin attendant, she can be more relaxed and sometimes will allow those cute little things keep hanging to dry some more.

It is not a matter of life and death. It is just more convenient and preferable to have female cabin attendant.

So to sum up, it seems there is only a small percentage of chances that we'll get a female cabin attendant on board our next Celebrity sailing. I hope we'll be in that small percentage. We need your blessings. :)

Thank you. Keep cruising, and enjoy!

Michael

Of course they can get in, even with the internal lock locked. Imagine a passenger calling with a heart attack...or a dead passenger. They can however tell if you have locked the door from the inside.

Well, yes, I realize that, but they won't enter without reason. I don't even think the room stewards can enter. My friend used the deadbolt and fell asleep. The room steward couldn't help; we had to call security. This was on Carnival.

So in the morning, before we go to breakfast and before somebody enters the cabin to clean it, she has to make some efforts to keep her 'dainties' away, lest it be seen (or -God forbid- touched) by the attendant.

If we have a female cabin attendant, she can be more relaxed and sometimes will allow those cute little things keep hanging to dry some more.

At the risk of sounding too blunt, you ought find a polite way of telling the wife to get over it. These cabin attendants do this day in and day out. There's nothing they haven't seen.

This is the reality with travel of any sort. It requires us to come out of our proverbial bubbles. Granted a mass market cruise ship is about as "within" the bubble as one can get while actually leaving home (God forbid your wife ever travel to a third world country!), but that's the price you pay for enjoying the good things in life.

Seriously, they're professionals. Have her hang whatever she wants, wherever she wants and move on....

Archived