Help me decide what cruise I should go on! (please read thread before voting)

coolcruiser777

What cruise should we go on?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What cruise should we go on?

• Carnival Fascination from San Juan- 7 day Southern Caribbean (port intensive)
    • Anthem of the Seas from NYC (Cape Liberty)- 7 day Bahamas
    • Norwegian Breakaway from NYC (Manhattan)- 7 day Bahamas
    • Carnival Pride from Baltimore- 7 day Bahamas
    • Carnival Vista from Miami- 8 day Caribbean
    • Norwegian Epic from Orlando- 7 day Caribbean
    • Celebrity Silhouette from Fort Lauderdale- 7 day Caribbean
    • Adventure of the Seas from San Juan- 7 day Southern Caribbean (port intensive)
    • Oasis of the Seas from Orlando- 7 day Caribbean
    • Harmony of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale- 7 day Caribbean

We are looking at spring break cruises for next year and we have narrowed it down... to ten options. We can't decide what I should book or look into more. We need two balcony cabins. The options above are listed from lowest price at the top to the highest on the bottom.

Things we are considering:

• Where we live (Northern Virginia) and if we have to fly/flight prices (we can drive to NYC or Baltimore)
  • Where we are sailing out of (if we don't fly, we will have to sacrifice our balconies for a few days)
  • The itinerary
  • The ship itself
  • The price

I think it a bit unrealistic for us to check out each cruise to figure out the ports and other considerations.

It looks like you have cruised before- based upon your signature, which, by the way, not everyone can see. Do you have any preference for cruise lines? Our preference is Holland America, so sorry, but we wouldn't pick any of your shopping list.

Rather than allow a bunch of strangers who know nothing about you to do the research for you and 'vote', why not do a simple spreadsheet and allow those who will be on the cruise with you to vote. List the price for each, the ports, and the pro's & con's for each. I'd never allow or expect anyone else to decide for me - doing the research is part of the fun of cruising!

Agree with above comments. It is up to you to, for example, weigh the cost of flying to Ft Lauderdale or San Juan against obtaining the benefits of an itinerary not limited to the Bahamas and not with potentially cool weather at the start and finish.

Though speaking from a strictly budgetary standpoint (even with no specifics provided) it is certainly likely when adding the airfare to the higher cruise fare for the Oasis and Harmony you will eliminate them when comparing per-person expenses side by side. Anthem and Breakaway are fine ships on their own but again it is up to you whether their lower per-person cost represents a better value for the money when comparing their itineraries to the Florida departures.

Not sure how you think we'd know which is best for you.

Ditto. One of my pet peeves. Asking strangers to choose a cruise for them. I have never understood this.

OP, if you cannot decide which one is best for you, then I would seek a good TA to help you. Good luck and happy cruising.

I know you said please read before voting, and I did, but I honestly have no idea from your post what best suits your likes. You really don't say. That's a large span of choices and there are some huge differences there. Give us a little more on what you're looking for in a cruise and I'd be happy to make a suggestion.

Since you asked, I would strongly suggest Celebrity Silhouette - not because I know its itinerary, or have any idea of what you or you group would like, but because I, personally, would have little interest in any of the other choices and could not in good faith suggest to a perfect stranger something I would not want to do myself

I can only share which options I would most strongly consider, but my wants may be different from yours.

I would not be interested in a 7 night Bahamas cruise from the Northeast. Those itineraries are usually not very good and frequently include Port Canaveral in Florida.

If I were to book Carnival, it would most definitely have to be on one of their newer ships. Fantasy-class ships like Fascination are awful. Outdated and ugly as hell.

Prior experiences on NCL make me not too inclined to choose them, indifferent service and awful food unless you do specialty dining.

Your last four options I would consider. We have sailed Celebrity Silhouette twice and loved it. The larger Celebrity ships have a nice variety of on board amenities, no loud music and constant announcements and the Lawn Club is great. So if I have to pick one this would be my choice.

Adventure Oasis and Harmony I would definitely look at as well as we enjoy Royal's larger ships . A lot of "wow" factor", good service and fairly good food.

What do you - and those sailing with you - really want from this vacation? I don't know when spring break is next year, but assuming it is in the vicinity of March, I would say any cruise from the Northeast needs to be for the ship, not the ports. You've been to the Bahamas. Weather will not be real hot and water perhaps a bit cool for swimming yet. If you are sailing for the ports, and want full use of your balcony,then choose one from further south. Also, since you haven't listed the ages of the guests, it is had to tell is Silhouette would be appropriate, without all the bells and whistles for kids. So, if you decide to fly, consider the port with the best airfares. If you decide on Port Canaveral (Orlando), you might also consider taking the Auto Train from Lorton VA to Sanford (Orlando area) FL. Then you wouldn't have to worry about packing limitations and flight restrictions. EM

As others have stated, it can be a little difficult to choose a cruise for someone else because there is so much involved in planning, getting there, and interests vary from person to person. However, I voted for the Fascination out of San Juan based on the itinerary. We also live in Northern Virginia and have done that same itinerary, twice, since 2013 (Carnival Valor in May 2013 and again on Carnival Liberty in September 2015). It is, hands down, our favorite itinerary. We love that it is port intensive and the islands are some of the most scenic and offer things to see/do for all interests and ages. We've flown down to San Juan from Dulles a day before the cruise both times and stayed at a hotel near San Juan airport that is right on Isla Verde Beach both times and have enjoyed the afternoons on the beach. After checking in for the cruise the next day, we've gotten back off the ship to explore the two forts and old San Juan. We love the nighttime sailaway and seeing the walls and fort lit up at night. This is one itinerary we would love to do again and I'm doing some "arm twisting" on my husband since they've added Dominica (a 6th port) in place of the sea day on some of the cruises in April - August 2018. We were there on our honeymoon years ago on a similar itinerary and LOVED it. The next time we get to do this, we'd actually like to fly down to San Juan several days before the cruise since there is so much to see and do in Puerto Rico.

Carnival Vista!

That's my vote!

Why you ask?

Well, I closed my eyes and threw a dart and it hit the Vista. :D

BTW you owe me a new computer screen.:o

Best answer!

Never understand why someone would ask total strangers what they should do.