Would You Feel Short-Changed?

cdamion

With all the cruise directors at a conference, all of the ships have assistants running the show this week.

Would you feel short-changed cruising this week?

Just curious. For me personally, I only remember the best and worst cruise directors. The in-betweens I honestly forget (which is a good thing because that means they did their job well). I know others are fans of certain cruise directors.

Not in the LEAST. I definitely do NOT cruise for the Cruise Director.

Quite honestly, I don't know who they are usually.

Never talked to one, and just see them on the morning show, or hosting various activities throughout the week.

DEFINITELY does not make or break our cruises.:D:D

We are there to make our own fun and memories, and not depend on someone else to do that.

What is a Cruise Director? :) Just kidding.

After my first couple of cruises, I hardly ever do anything that involves the CD. They are typically just the voice from above in the PA system telling me about the latest sale going on in the shops, or another exciting BINGO that will be happening, or about the very import shore tour lecture they recommend everyone attend so they can tell me about all the shops I should visit because they are approved vendors.

With all the cruise directors at a conference, all of the ships have assistants running the show this week.

Would you feel short-changed cruising this week?

Just curious. For me personally, I only remember the best and worst cruise directors. The in-betweens I honestly forget (which is a good thing because that means they did their job well). I know others are fans of certain cruise directors.

CDAmion,

If John Heald were scheduled to be my CD for the week and he was in a conference I'd be disappointed; he's that good. Sailed with him once and have missed him a few times since.

Any other CD is another CD. I know his reputation here on CC has taken a hit lately with the Facebook crowd, but I'm not one to be swayed by other's opinions once I've formed my own.

While I agree with the comment on missing John Heald, and he is great, it is not the reason I choose a particular cruise.

So no, no big deal for me. :)

I would love an announcement free cruise! I have cruised often enough I can recite their spiels - it's all the same from ship to ship, only the accent is different. Carnival CD announcements seem to come every 2 hrs, while other lines are less frequent.

My favorite CD always has laryngitis!

Edited by evandbob

If John Heald were scheduled to be my CD for the week and he was in a conference I'd be disappointed; he's that good. Sailed with him once and have missed him a few times since.

Any other CD is another CD. I know his reputation here on CC has taken a hit lately with the Facebook crowd, but I'm not one to be swayed by other's opinions once I've formed my own.

I agree with Paul- I'd love to cruise with John Heald, he's a hoot (I too have formed my own opinion and don't choose to listen to the negative nellies) but I wouldn't pick my cruise just because he was the CD, and I could care less about any other.

It was a serious curiosity question. I hear so many people go on and on about cruise directors and friends that go take pictures with them and stuff like they are rock stars and I don't get it. I thought maybe people would be disappointed.

CDAmion,

What does he do that makes him different? I have only had one that was really funny that stood out and I can't remember his name.

Not at all. I cruised on the Liberty last week, and had the worst cruise director in the 18 cruises that I have taken. I don't even know who the assistant cruise director was because the Cruise Director would host all of the activities. She was super loud, and didn't have a funny bone in her. This is the first time that I have not liked the cruise director. Some have been better than others, but never this bad.

Best cruise director we ever had was during the CD conference. We had a fill in named Marcello who said he liked to be called "Marshmellow". My kids got a kick out of him. He was entertaining without being over the top.

Fwiw, you still get the announcements, just from someone else lol!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app