Celebrity Doesn't Want Us Anymore??

cynbar

I've really been enjoying prim8keeper's review and pictures of his recent trip to Bermuda on the Summit, brings back some great memories. But one part caught my eye. He reports that the Captain's Club hostess confirmed that Celebrity is now marketing towards cruisers of his age, he is 31 and his DH is 28. I know it's been discussed before on these boards, but this seemed to be confirmation from an employee of Celebrity. Does this bother anyone else who is, shall we say, a little older than 31? We are longtime Celebrity cruisers, recently back from a Med cruise on Reflection, and we are spenders who book suites or AQ, take shore excursions, and so on. I guess I'm just not sure what to make of this attitude that our business is not what they are looking for.

If they targeted only the "a little older than 31" demographic, eventually they would run out of customers as these older people stop cruising due to limited finances in retirement, health issues, or even dying off. They need to market to the younger generations to bring in new customers who have many years left to be customers. Any business that wants to stay successful must bring in new customers.

If Celebrity is still providing you with a product you like, it should make no difference what demographic they are marketing to. As long as you are satisfied, that is all that should matter.

I'm 65 and I have no issues with their marketing strategy. It is because of their marketing towards younger generations that made it possible for them to afford to build the spectacular S-class series of ships which are now my favorite ships, especially Reflection. To me this is a win-win situation.

Edited by boogs

Agree with Boogs. I am older than the target market referred to, but I quite like the actions taken on Summit and Equinox to appeal to newer younger cruises - they appeal to me, too!

I also don't think that appealing to one segment of the market means X isn't interested in other groups. Every company needs to constantly evolve or they won't continue to exist.

I also don't think that appealing to one segment of the market means X isn't interested in other groups. Every company needs to constantly evolve or they won't continue to exist.

Bingo! Early fifties here and enjoy the current product that Celebrity is offering. They have yet to not make me feel welcome.

Edited by cruisingator2

I don't feel neglected if they go after a younger demographic. If they do not, then market share will decline as the older demographic quits sailing for a variety of reasons over time, which they will. Not all, but for sure as many get older, they travel less due to health and other issues.

I just hope that the transition is smooth. I like a lot of things that people in their 30's and 40's like. I like good food, good wine, value for my dollar spent. Don't like real loud music, but not sure that is a trait of those in their 30's and 40's.

I would also suggest suite passengers are a targeted demographic. Celebrity is pursuing a theme of 'a ship within a ship', i.e. passenger segregation based on cabin category and money being spent.

As long as they don't charge for sun/ocean breeze and views, I can live with many other minor changes. When they add up to more than I see the 'value' for my money, I will sail with another line or not sail.

I hope you have a GREAT next cruise and a relaxing one! :)

I have been saying for a long time that Celebrity has been targeting the younger, more affluent cruiser. This is why they're attempting to revamp entertainment and are introducing more Suite perks. It makes perfect sense to me to go after younger cruisers who may become brand loyal for many years to come and high margin passengers. I don't feel in the least "unwanted". Those who are a bit older and have demonstrated loyalty over time have been rewarded by an enhanced loyalty program. (Yes,I know there are younger frequent cruisers like Eric and Dawn,) Right now the approach seems to be working. As someone once said:"it's not personal, it's business".

I've really been enjoying prim8keeper's review and pictures of his recent trip to Bermuda on the Summit, brings back some great memories. But one part caught my eye. He reports that the Captain's Club hostess confirmed that Celebrity is now marketing towards cruisers of his age, he is 31 and his DH is 28. I know it's been discussed before on these boards, but this seemed to be confirmation from an employee of Celebrity. Does this bother anyone else who is, shall we say, a little older than 31? We are longtime Celebrity cruisers, recently back from a Med cruise on Reflection, and we are spenders who book suites or AQ, take shore excursions, and so on. I guess I'm just not sure what to make of this attitude that our business is not what they are looking for.

Hogwash! Chicken little said the sky was falling too.

Ok, now really, do you truly think that any company is going to turn away anyone with money to pay for their product? We that book and sail have the final say on the demographics of the pax on ship. Not some advertising person, PLEASE.

Edited by wallie5446

Celebrity knows it has us. What they now want is our firstborn.. and second and our grandchildren...

However what Celebrity has to do is offer a better product for their targeted demographic than the competition. A superior product on X will be better than the cruises marketed by others... otherwise we would not be here posting on a Celebrity board.

Now some of you may remember the phrase: "This is not your father's Oldsmobile"

Just because you change a product that attracted a loyal following in the past, it does not mean it will attract sufficient new customers to make up for the loss of former fans. The secret is in attracting younger passengers while keeping the traditional base.

Celebrity knows it has us. What they now want is our firstborn.. and second and our grandchildren...

The secret is in attracting younger passengers while keeping the traditional base.

After sailing on the RCCL Freedom in 2011, the Ruby Princess in 2012, and the Reflection last year, compared to those sailings, yes, Celebrity has us. So they know they need not market to us in the future.

Yet! When they had their big flop of an 'event' here in Dallas a few months back, 90% of those attending were in our age (60) bracket. Which is why I say hogwash to the original thought.

They want all of us who are willing to choose Celebrity. So doesn't it make sense to market to the "young fabulous and broke" who love to spend! Besides, with the new rules for earning loyalty points, it will take a lifetime to move up...gotta start young! :):D:)

Edited by royalcruz

The secret is in attracting younger passengers while keeping the traditional base.

DING DING DING...We have a winner. You can pick something off the top shelf. :D

Marketing is a slippery slope. It is finding that balance. You want/need to keep what you have, yet bring in new clients. A good marketing exec. will tell you that....

One has to keep up with the Jones and not lose clients to them is why changes happen in the cruise industry.

Every cruise I have been on the avg age is much greater then 31 but I have only done meds and TA

Really if you believe marketing agency , no one buys anything once they over 25 :p

That is most likely why they are targeting a specific market demographic - because this demographic is not currently sailing on its ships. To target this specific group doesn't mean that it is doing so at the expense of its other passengers. It just means it is trying to complement its customer base.

I agree with others, its not that they don't want you, but that they want us as well. Many of our friends find it odd we cruise so much and have a very different picture of what a cruise is vs. the reality. So it makes sense that they would try to market to this group to help break that stereotype. I fully admit that before our first X cruise I also had a different idea of what a cruise was and now I'm hooked. Every time I post all our cruise photos to FB more and more of our friends ask us about it and decide to give it a try.

~Cruisenut~ I love your line about X wanting your first born. Fantastic! :D

No problem here with "targeting younger" idea.....sure prefer that to the idea of targeting to the older as I gather is more common on lines like HAL....as I, for one want things to do, still listen to current music and not ready to settle in for a long winters nap, I like an active ship and Celebrity has made me happy as I grew from that VERY younger demographic to a "slightly" older one....:eek::):D

We have 2 children in their late 20s who have lots of friends who cruise quite regularly. However, they cruise on other lines that have a party hearty reputation. Celebrity is wise to focus marketing on this age group. This way they can capture the "I love to cruise" group at a stage when they're ready to settle down and enjoy the finer aspects of cruising.

Celebrity still wants us.

I first started sailing Celebrity in 1990 and have sailed them almost exclusively ever since.

I am in my early 60's. In the "early years" we sailed inside cabins - 4 women in one cabin sometimes!! We slowly graduated to outside then balcony. I am now Elite Plus and sailing in Penthouse and sometimes Royal Suites.

I KNOW that Celebrity still wants me. BUT they also want a younger demographic, which is quite fine with me. Let's face it - we're not going to last forever and we were once that "younger demographic" on Celebrity ships! ;)

Edited by jcpc

Now some of you may remember the phrase: "This is not your father's Oldsmobile"

Yeah, & where did that get them? I don't think my 16 yo grandson ever even heard of Oldsmobile.

I totally think they can market toward a younger demographic while STILL appealing to us "OLD CRUISERS". It's not really an either or. And I do think if an older person asked the same question of the same Celebrity rep, their answer would be skewed differently.

Lots and LOTS of cruisers in their 30's and 40's have kids, (maybe most ??) and this isn't the demographic that is choosing Celebrity in large numbers and this is not the group that "Modern Luxury" seems to be targeting. I think that Celebrity is going to move with the times while trying not to alienate the tried and true Celebrity cruiser.

However if they don't try to lure the 40, 30 and even 20 somethings toward trying the product, we oldsters will all have died off and the ships would sail empty! :eek: :D

I guess I'm just not sure what to make of this attitude that our business is not what they are looking for.

They already have a hold of your demographic, just searching for someone to replace you some day! That's product marketing 101.