Your favourite pre dinner cocktail ?

Delboy1

Faced with a long list of cocktails I rarely feel adventurous enough to go beyond ordering a Martini or a Gin and Tonic. What am I missing out on ?

Lots! :D

Be adventurous. Start with that martini - try a dirty martini, or a vodka martini, and then you can go on to flavoured vodka martinis (but you might want to pass on a cosmopolitan, they are a bit girlie ;) although my DH has tried the odd one or two).

Negronis are really nice as a pre-dinner drink.

Avoid creamy cocktails before dinner, they are better after dinner, or maybe by the pool in the case of pina coladas.

Pick your favourite spirit base and be adventurous :D

We had a hilarious time in March when we were in Bangalore in India. The hotel we were staying at had an exceptionally good cocktail list and we tried some very interesting ones. I remember one with whisky ... :eek: :p

I'm not keen on cocktails with lost of different flavours, I prefer to keep things simple. As has been mentioned, Negroni is nice ( a mixture of gin and campari, very bitter) and I really like 'GTEs' (gin, tonic and elderflower, lovely!). Other than that, I have had several very nice martini varieties, the 'breakfast' one sounded as if it ought to be bacon and egg :p but was actually orange marmalade and very scrummy, coffee martini is also tasty, especially after dinner (as long as you like coffee, of course!).

Usually just a glass of chardonnay on my balcony. Sometimes a Crown & Sprite (prefer Fresca, but can only find Sprite on board ship). After too many nasty hangovers in college that came from mixing my liquors, I try to stick with one "type" - still get the extremely rare hangover, but they aren't nearly as bad.:o

My new favorite on Princess ships is the Beverly Hills iced tea: Cointreau, Bombay sapphire gin, Bacardi white rum, Grey Goose vodka, Cuervo tequila, and sparkling wine with a bit of lemon.

My new favorite on Princess ships is the Beverly Hills iced tea: Cointreau, Bombay sapphire gin, Bacardi white rum, Grey Goose vodka, Cuervo tequila, and sparkling wine with a bit of lemon.

Couldn't agree more, the best cocktail in the world! :)

Nothing with Tequila since my 40th birthday party. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor!" :cool: :o :confused:

I like Moscow Mule. It is Vodka, lime juice and ginger ale. On the ship I get a bottle of vodka from room service, some lemonade from the buffet and add diet ginger ale or diet tonic. Room service will give us limes in our fruit basket if we write it in. :)

old school drink - vodka gimlet straight up...

interestingly enough i had the best ever yesterday at a pub in uptown Charlotte while watching the World Cup. the bartender made it with fresh squeezed limes - absolutely delicious...had to have a second!

Nothing with Tequila since my 40th birthday party. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor!" :cool: :o :confused:

I like Moscow Mule. It is Vodka, lime juice and ginger ale. On the ship I get a bottle of vodka from room service, some lemonade from the buffet and add diet ginger ale or diet tonic. Room service will give us limes in our fruit basket if we write it in. :)

We make our Moscow Mules with ginger beer - it's non-alcoholic and has a stronger ginger flavor. We love them in the summer while sitting in the sun reading a good book at the pool. Oh man, now I want to make a pitcher and head to the pool, but I need to pack for vacation.:)

Ratio lime to vodka please? it sounds really good!