$20 meat upgrades in MDR?

sandinmyshoes

Are the expensive meat upgrades in the MDR worth it? Are the cuts better than those in the steakhouse? I'm trying to understand why someone would order them if there is a steakhouse on board. I'm pretty sure my hubby will want to, but should I convince him its not worth it? Do they come with steakhouse style sides, or regular menu sides?

Thanks for the help!

Are the expensive meat upgrades in the MDR worth it? Are the cuts better than those in the steakhouse? I'm trying to understand why someone would order them if there is a steakhouse on board. I'm pretty sure my hubby will want to, but should I convince him its not worth it? Do they come with steakhouse style sides, or regular menu sides?

Thanks for the help!

we always do the steakhouse the first night (free bottle of wine). i recommend it. its worth the $35pp for the food you get!!

and as to why someone would pay extra $20 for the steakhouse menu in the regular MDR....because the MDR steaks arent that great (IMO)

Thanks for the help!

I suppose, if you absolutely do not like any of the selections offered on the MDR's menu, and just have to have a steak, then it might be worth it to you to buy a steak. We typically make a steakhouse reservation for the first night. The MDR menu is posted early in the afternoon, before the MDR is opened for dinner. We take a look at it and decide if we want to eat in the MDR or go to the buffet. Since we choose Any Time Dining, we don't have to worry about letting others know if we'll be eating in the MDR or not.

Thanks for the help!

I don't consider the steakhouse selections "upgrades", they're main course substitutions. As far as I know, they're the same cuts of meat you would get from the steakhouse, no better and no worse. They don't come with any of the steakhouse appetizers, sides, or desserts; for those you're stuck with what the MDR is offering on that day.

As for why someone would do this, I can think of several scenarios:

* Some Carnival ships don't have a steakhouse

* If one person in your party is a big steak fan, but the others are not, then there's no need to pay for everyone to dine in the steakhouse

* For traditional diners, you get to keep your companions for the evening and make everyone else jealous (maybe)

* For YTD diners, you can go when you're hungry and not have to worry about a reservation and keep your regular servers (if you've decided to have regular servers)

* You really, really want to see the show the waiters put on each night - there's no such foolishness in the steakhouse

* You don't want to allocate the 2 1/2 hours they ask you for at the steakhouse (though you can, of course, eat a lot faster there if you want)

Is the free bottle of wine only if you book a reservation on ship or can you book ahead of time. I know the reservation has to be for the first night of the cruise. TIA>:)

Also, on our last cruise, on the Sunshine, we ate at the steakhouse and loved it!!! Best meal ever!! The steak was good but the sides and appetizers were amazing.

There are 4 items from the steak house every night

Some nights these change.

My wife always get the big lobster in the MDR

My thought is I can get 2 steak house selections for $40

I still get apps salad from the MDR

Or I can get 1 steak house dinner for $35 plus tip.

I order steak house selections from the MDR

Per Carnival, the tip is included in the Steakhouse pricing.

My husband and I went to the steak house every cruise. He went there because I liked to go there. He had a very small appetite and hardly ate anything.

When the steak house steak became available in the MDR, it offered me a better piece of steak and I didn't have to drag my husband to the steak house. To me, it was a win, win.

The Steak House used to be a special evening with intertainment and really really good service. No longer, now it's just a different menu in a different room with the same quality service for a lot of money. I think ordering a good steak for $20 in the MDR is a pretty good idea.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

Thanks for the help!

personally, I refuse to pay extra to eat on a cruise ship.

The first and only time we ate at the steakhouse we left hungry and went to eat on lido. Some people like it but maybe it was just a bad night for it when we ate there. After my experience, I will never order the plate in the MDR. The flat iron steak is fine for me.

Has anyone asked about getting any of the Steakhouse entrees not listed on the MDR menu?

I only want to try the ribeye, and it's not on the MDR menu. Going to the steakhouse probably isn't an option since it will only be myself and 4 children.

Agree. I tried both steaks on our last cruise. They were very,very good.

Most of the posts to the question missed what was asked.

To your question are the upgraded costs for steakhouse quality cuts of meat delivered to you in the main dining room worth the extra $20.

To me, no. Plus, it makes everyone at your table stare at you and want to sample what you bought!

I've done it once, and that's enough for me.

Edited by BallFour4

Both the steak and lobster were steakhouse cuts and were prepared perfectly. They were worth the $20 if you want good lobster and an excellent steak.

We had reservations at the steakhouse but for some reason had to cancel, so we splurged in the MDR instead.

Worth it to us.

That said you can't get the spice rub that they have at the steakhouse so that was a bit of a letdown, but the steak was so good it really didn't need it.

The flat iron has always been delicious for me, I would compare it to a steak like at Outback Steakhouse. Now if I wanted a Ruth's Chris steak, then I would go for the steakhouse. I really like the offerings in the MDR and haven't had a bad meal yet.

Carnival Dream, Fantasy, and Liberty. Next up? The SUNSHINE!!!!

Ordered the filet mignon on my last cruise, which was on a Fantasy class ship (no steak house)-was it worth it? Heck yes, and here's how I jazzed it up, I ordered a baked potato-and here's how the waiter jazzed it down-he brought me mashed instead. The filet was, I repeat was on the par with Ruth Chris and I'm sorry but the only way I can eat the hanger steak (flat iron) is with about a gallon of A1. Now, don't get me wrong I will order one, but if money was no object, I will order from the 20.00 menu.

base5, I too tip extra at the steak house, and I tip my steward and waiters in the MDR extra too. What I don't spend in drinking anymore (since I don't drink anymore) goes to making others lives a little better. Including mine.:D

Edited by marshhawk

Not being nasty just curious...do you also return to the ship at port to eat lunch since you have already paid for it?:confused:

I am in the same boat as the other poster, I have a family of 4 and refuse to pay for any extra food, we will get by with what they serve. If we go to an all day port and beach, we will just make sandwiches in the morning and bring them along

Not being nasty just curious...do you also return to the ship at port to eat lunch since you have already paid for it?:confused:

My family does. Feeding 6 people in port is ridiculously expensive. And I have a bad food allergy, so it's too hard trying to explain it and hope the cooks don't make me sick. We normally get off the boat really early and return around 1:30 or 2 for a late lunch

Carnival Dream, Fantasy, and Liberty. Next up? The SUNSHINE!!!!