Canada & new england cruise question

esper10

Hi all

I booked a cruise to Canada and the New England for Sep. 2015 We go with balcony most cruises and this one also we booked a balcony cabin. Because of the weather I'm not sure we will be able to use the balcony as we normally would. The difference in the price is over $1000.00 for the 2 of us. We never been to this area. Can any one tell me if it is going to be cold to sit out? I love it is in the balcony early morning or evening. Are we going to sail in areas were the view is nice to be outside? I don't want to waist my money on a balcony I will not be able to use. Thanks in advanced for all advices.

we took this cruise( on =Royal) last year the week of the 19th. with the exception of Bar Harbor( foggy and windy) the rest of the cruise we had great Indian Summer weather and spent many a sunset and sunrise on the balcony

for us balconies are NEVER a waste regardless of the weather or the view.

I also must agree. We were on the Summit the weeks of October 5th and 12th. WE had the penthouse, it was a special birthday, and we were always on the balcony. Some days it was chilly, but the sights were awesome. We, as above, never regret getting a balcony. We even used ours on a South America cruise and a Norway cruise. It was cold, but it was great to have the balcony with a chair and blanket. Enjoy the cruise. It is wonderful

We took a 14 night NE/Canada cruise on the Summit last September. We were in an inside cabin and it was fine. In port we were off the ship anyway, and at other times we could sit on deck or in a public room and enjoy the view. Balcony would have been nice, but for us not worth all the extra cost.

It really was a fantastic cruise-particularly the overnight in Quebec. Hope that is the same cruise you are talking about.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We did NE/Maritime in mid-May and really enjoyed the balcony. Similarly we've done AK in May and the Med in November and used our balcony regularly. Of course we are from WI so 60 degrees F in November is downright balmy to us! :D

You will probably want a light windbreaker and maybe a fleece to layer in May as you go that far north -- even on-shore you may need one or the other (or both) and then you can also wear them to make your balcony a bit more comforatble. (You may want to consider bringing a pair of lightweight gloves - I find if my feet or hands are cold, the rest of me is as well)

Hi all

I booked a cruise to Canada and the New England for Sep. 2015 We go with balcony most cruises and this one also we booked a balcony cabin. Because of the weather I'm not sure we will be able to use the balcony as we normally would.

We would not spend extra for a balcony on any cruise where we expect the weather to be too hot or too cold. We love the ocean view cabins on deck three when we decide that the money can be better spent on excursions or on booking another future cruise.

We have been to this region in October where temperatures departing Bayonne were freezing and snow welcomed us to Quebec City. In September the temperatures could be quite nice but the itinerary could also be accompanied by a hurricane or severe winds.

We've done it in September/October (with a different line) and got good weather for just about every day, except Bar Harbor. We've also done Norway with snow on the balcony in the afternoon after having had breakfast there in sunshine.

You're going to dress for the weather on land, it's not a chore to do the same on a balcony. I can't imagine seeing the arrival or departure at New York through a porthole. Ditto for Quebec.

We did Canada/NE last June with Holland America. We had fog, wind and rain for a majority of the cruise. So the weather can vary by extremes no matter what time of year. We always book a balcony room or higher....we wouldn't cruise if we didn't have our own veranda. Some cruises we get more use out of it than others, but we always like having the option.

Michael

Especially on the New England cruise when you will have so much more than water to see.

This is something I have wondered about -- what would one see besides water? Are you talking about ports, or does one actually see coastline? I have wondered whether one can see autumn colors from aboard ship other than in port (not that I would sail in New England looking for autumn colors in Sept. -- too early.)

Travelling through the St Lawrence Seaway there is land on both sides and you get to see the villages and farmland.

I have been to Quebec on this cruise twice, once the temperatures were in the 70s the next time it snowed in the mountains and the temperature at the dock was 40.

The person who said bring a fleece jacket and gloves is right. You can ask your room steward if there are blankets to use on the balconies.

Have a great time.

Edited by Conshydot

We are booking the same cruise as the OP ... in October...for the fall colors...we hope! :)

I also must agree. We were on the Summit the weeks of October 5th and 12th. WE had the penthouse, it was a special birthday, and we were always on the balcony. Some days it was chilly, but the sights were awesome. We, as above, never regret getting a balcony. We even used ours on a South America cruise and a Norway cruise. It was cold, but it was great to have the balcony with a chair and blanket. Enjoy the cruise. It is wonderful

We took a 14 night NE/Canada cruise on the Summit last September. We were in an inside cabin and it was fine. In port we were off the ship anyway, and at other times we could sit on deck or in a public room and enjoy the view. Balcony would have been nice, but for us not worth all the extra cost.

It really was a fantastic cruise-particularly the overnight in Quebec. Hope that is the same cruise you are talking about.

Happy Sails to You

We prefer the balcony cabin because we get a little more room, plus the light coming into the stateroom makes the room seem brighter and larger. We may not use the balcony all the time, but it is nice to have a quick check on weather, sites, etc. :) Worth the extra for us!

Balcony is the only way to go. We did this cruise in 2012 in October. Parked in Quebec City overnight if you are dockside it was great. To see the city in lights and sounds. Also along the seaway the scenery is beautiful especially Montmorency falls outside Quebec City.

This is something I have wondered about -- what would one see besides water? Are you talking about ports, or does one actually see coastline? I have wondered whether one can see autumn colors from aboard ship other than in port (not that I would sail in New England looking for autumn colors in Sept. -- too early.)

This is what I wonder also. I want to see the trees changing colors. I thought that October might be to cold so I picked Sep. would we see the trees changing colors in Sep? Can any one tell me about the Summit is it a nice ship? Also would we sail thru places were their will be a nice view? and yes, we are going to keep our balcony

Whales in St lawrence....seabirds ...if you go up the saguenay, the fjords are awesome....hope you have good weather..

The weather should be warm and pleasant most of the time in September, of course it will be cooler on the open sea. But I think a balcony will be useful for the sail in and sail away times, and for admiring the scenery while the ship is still docked. The skyline of Boston is beautiful, Quebec is stunning, the little villages have a lovely coastline. Glad to hear you are keeping the balcony. We have sailed Summit, she is a lovely, smaller ship with a lot of character. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Whales in St lawrence....seabirds ...if you go up the saguenay, the fjords are awesome....hope you have good weather..

Last year we were there the weeks of Oct 5th and 12th and the leaves were just getting to their prime as it was a very warm fall. It all depends on the weather and when the colder weather hits. I would aim for late September or early October. Enjoy

I am so hoping to sail this itinerary next year too:)...a balcony for this

cruise is waaaayyyyy out of my league. A window will be just fine

for me:D

We live in Halifax and can tell you that the weather cannot be predicted. Last year it was quite warm through Oct. so the colors were not good until mid month For the leaves to start changing we need a hard frost. You should be able to view coastline during most of the trip and it is quite lovely!

Late September to mid October would be prime time for colours. September is the best month of the year for weather in my opinion.

You will see some absolutely beautiful scenery on this cruise. Quebec City is very picturesque.

Hi all

I booked a cruise to Canada and the New England for Sep. 2015 We go with balcony most cruises and this one also we booked a balcony cabin. Because of the weather I'm not sure we will be able to use the balcony as we normally would. The difference in the price is over $1000.00 for the 2 of us. We never been to this area. Can any one tell me if it is going to be cold to sit out? I love it is in the balcony early morning or evening. Are we going to sail in areas were the view is nice to be outside? I don't want to waist my money on a balcony I will not be able to use. Thanks in advanced for all advices.

IMHO

ewe did this cruise 2 years ago at the end of Sept. on the Summitt. We rabn into some really bad weather, missed PEI stop and got some rain and alot of Fog. I would save the extra $$ and check out the enclosed viewing areas on Deck ie by the acqua spa cafe. I would then use the saved $$ to get on or organize private tours of the areas/stops by forming your own groups or joining on others by looking at the CC forum voyage for your trip. . Also, if I were you, at the Quebec stop, I would go on the foodie walking tour and Quebec walking tours sponsored by Info Voir Quebec. Book in advance.

as I said, my opinion.

Enjoy:D

we did this general itin some yrs ago on Constellation..before all the refurbs. It was the first time she did that itin and we really enjoyed it.

We had an overnight in Quebec..explored the city first day and met some roll call members for elegant tea at the Chateau Frontenc . The next day we did a cruiseline tour up to the Montmarcy Falls (spelling?), mountains and Isle de orleans (maple sugar area)...leaves were at perfect peak for us in late Sept..also very sunny and warm most days!

enjoy your cruise!

In an earlier post, someone mentioned Montmorency falls. They really are nice, and you can simply take a local bus to go instead of an expensive ship tour.

In Portland, we suggest taking the ferry that goes to the little islands. The mail route is the one to take.

In most other ports, we rented a minivan and went with several other couples. Worked out great. Peggy's Cove is beautiful and Ryer's nearby is THE place for lobstah.

Happy Sails to You

This is what I wonder also. I want to see the trees changing colors. I thought that October might be to cold so I picked Sep. would we see the trees changing colors in Sep? Can any one tell me about the Summit is it a nice ship? Also would we sail thru places were their will be a nice view? and yes, we are going to keep our balcony

You will see some color change, not doubt, but New England fall colors are best in October,and it may be warm or cold then (as also in Sept.) Can't speak to fall colors or temps in Canada.

I am so hoping to sail this itinerary next year too:)...a balcony for this

cruise is waaaayyyyy out of my league. A window will be just fine

for me:D

Lois, please keep me posted as we do this cruise every year. Have mostly done October but last year did September 7.

Would love to finally get to meet you.

P.S. We mostly do insides, one year we did do a balcony. Did not use it much at all.