Never cruised before, will they deny boarding?

Nudiebutt

We're getting ready to book our first cruise and I'm a bit freaked out. I'm getting warnings that we could be denied boarding because of past criminal history. There's a DUI and an "unwarranted" burglary charge. One charge is over 20+ years and the other over 9 years. I've done some reading on this issue and haven't found anyone with this question. Mainly others asking if they'll be denied entry into Canada.

This will be a 10-day cruise from San Francisco to Alaska with a stop in Victoria, BC. Flying to England and entrance in to England and France have been no problem. I would think they'd be more concerned about "career" criminals.

Can they really deny boarding in SF or will they just not let you in to Canada? I need to get this trip booked or chose a different vacation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

The stop in Victoria might be an issue. If the Canadians want for info , they be looking for documents that you are rehabilitated . They don't care how many years but are you rehabilitated .

I don't care if the deny me in Victoria, I'm worried they'll deny me in SF/boarding the cruise entirely.

If we get denied boarding and have insurance, can we get our money back?

We're getting ready to book our first cruise and I'm a bit freaked out. I'm getting warnings that we could be denied boarding because of past criminal history. There's a DUI and an "unwarranted" burglary charge. One charge is over 20+ years and the other over 9 years. I've done some reading on this issue and haven't found anyone with this question. Mainly others asking if they'll be denied entry into Canada.

This will be a 10-day cruise from San Francisco to Alaska with a stop in Victoria, BC. Flying to England and entrance in to England and France have been no problem. I would think they'd be more concerned about "career" criminals.

Can they really deny boarding in SF or will they just not let you in to Canada? I need to get this trip booked or chose a different vacation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Yes, they can "really" deny you boarding in SF, if you don't have the proper clearances. In Canada DUI is a felony. I'd suggest you need to look into getting rehabilitated ..... soon. It can take months to get the paperwork done.

I don't care if the deny me in Victoria, I'm worried they'll deny me in SF/boarding the cruise entirely.

Usually not. If you lose money on a cruise due to something you didn't do, that's not covered.

:halo:

Princess can deny boarding if your not eligible to enter Canada. If your denied no insurance will pay you. If you use Princess insurance . Arrive early if denied , you maybe can call your TA or Princess and cancel.

Princess doesn't require a reason to cancel. Called Cancel for Any Reason coverage.

Princess can deny boarding if your not eligible to enter Canada. If your denied no insurance will pay you. If you use Princess insurance . Arrive early if denied , you maybe can call your TA or Princess and cancel.

Princess doesn't require a reason to cancel. Called Cancel for Any Reason coverage.

Is their "cancel for any reason" coverage effective on the day of sailing - just a couple of hours before sailaway?

I wish I could remember where I got this explanation but the bottom line is that OP is not likely to be denied boarding.

Approximately 72 hours prior to arrival in Victoria the manifest is sent to Canadian authorities. They then clear the ship, but require the ship to hold certain people for interviews in their cabin if they have criminal issues. One of three things results from the interview, either the person in question is cleared to entry Canada, they are denied entry and the ship is told not to let them off the ship, or they are arrested if there are current warrants.

The cruise line does not check these things at boarding, they are only checked at disembarkation.

This link from the Canadian immigration site may help as a starting point:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

It's good that you are aware of this before booking. Take care of this directly with Canadian immigration authorities. DO NOT depend on a cruise line telephone agent. Cruise line agents have only a standard script on routine visa questions.

I wish I could remember where I got this explanation but the bottom line is that OP is not likely to be denied boarding.

Approximately 72 hours prior to arrival in Victoria the manifest is sent to Canadian authorities. They then clear the ship, but require the ship to hold certain people for interviews in their cabin if they have criminal issues. One of three things results from the interview, either the person in question is cleared to entry Canada, they are denied entry and the ship is told not to let them off the ship, or they are arrested if there are current warrants.

The cruise line does not check these things at boarding, they are only checked at disembarkation.

You are correct.

Boarding in the US can't be denied, as the Canadian government will not have received the passenger manifest until after the ship sails. At worst an individual will be denied disembarkation in Canadian ports .

Contact the Canadian border officials to see if you will be admitted

If there is a criminal record you probably will not be allowed

better to get the right answers from the Officials than a cruise forum

The US authorities send the passenger information right away. The Canadians need info in case of medivac to a Canadian hospital.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where do you get this stuff from ?? :rolleyes:

The "cancel for any reason" clause in the Princess Vacation Protection is not administered by the insurance underwriter but by Princess itself. If you are denied boarding for failure to obtain necessary travel clearances and/or documents, by the time you pull out your phone and call to "cancel" the record will already reflect the true reason you are not sailing.

(OK maybe not that quick--but certainly by the time the ink dries on the claim form that will be summarily denied. Still, uncharacteristically poor advice [unless that was your intent :rolleyes:])

I can't find it now, but there is another good thread on this.

Here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2471875

Best is to petition Canada for "rehabilitation." If you get that done, you are fine.

If not, you COULD be denied boarding. Or you can be allowed to board, but not be allowed to disembark in Canada.

The other thread mentions some cases of passengers being removed from the ship in handcuffs by Canadian officials, but that is likely due to open warrants.

US and Canada share criminal databases like the US NCIC system. Not ALL offenses are in there, but they might be. It depends on whether the jurisdiction uploaded them.

The stop in Victoria might be an issue. If the Canadians want for info , they be looking for documents that you are rehabilitated . They don't care how many years but are you rehabilitated .
I've wondered lately how Canadians would know about a 20 year old DUI charge.

You/they need to get started NOW. The process to receive Rehabilitated status is not a short one and depending on the charges, it will take a year plus for the application process - and there is no guarantee that it will be approved.

You/they need to get started NOW. The process to receive Rehabilitated status is not a short one and depending on the charges, it will take a year plus for the application process - and there is no guarantee that it will be approved.

I'd probably just pick a cruise to the Caribbean instead.

If you were denied boarding for this reason, you won't get your money back.

This is a complicated issue. Canada is very strict with entry requirements. Until you deal with this, I would not want to risk losing my money and I wouldn't take this cruise.

The "cancel for any reason" clause in the Princess Vacation Protection is not administered by the insurance underwriter but by Princess itself. If you are denied boarding for failure to obtain necessary travel clearances and/or documents, by the time you pull out your phone and call to "cancel" the record will already reflect the true reason you are not sailing.

(OK maybe not that quick--but certainly by the time the ink dries on the claim form that will be summarily denied. Still, uncharacteristically poor advice [unless that was your intent :rolleyes:])

I used this clause for a cruise this spring. It is actually administered by the underwriter . The underwriter actual is responsible at final payment date because of the penalty. Princess might do something for the time that the penalty is the deposit amount.

Canadian border agents have access to the US criminal records system.

Canada Border services actually sees flags where a people is under investigate or charges are pending.

This stops someone from crossing the border and then delaying extradition .

Both my sister and brother in law had drug possession charges from many years ago and since then have changed their lives and are now upstanding citizens. They were worried they wouldn't be able to get of the ship in Victoria on our Alaska cruise but had no problems. That's not to say others might, but that's our experience.

But when my sister and I took a trip to Japan, they weren't going to let her in because she marked yes on the convicted of a drug crime question on the form visitors to Japan have to fill out. She didn't want to lie about it, but the customs official hinted very strongly to her that if she filled out the form again and marked no this time, they would tear up the original document and let her in the country.