Cabin Crawl

Bases5

I have been reading about cabin crawls

I have read that the cabin host usually provides food and drink

and a trinket from where you are from.

Please help with ideas

There are over 100 signed up for our Cabin crawl.

I was thinking about getting a couple cheap pitchers and fill them with juice get some cheap paper cups.

Maybe raiding the buffet for some snacks. that's a lot of stuff for 100 people.

I was thinking bags of candy like Halloween?

what kind of nick knacks have you brought, Even at $1 that's still $100

Oh help please

Please help with ideas

I was thinking about getting a couple cheap pitchers and fill them with juice get some cheap paper cups.

Oh help please

The cabin crawl that my husband went on there were no trinkets or gifts of any kind given to them. And the only cabin that provided refreshments was the last cabin when people had time to socialize. It was a suite so the person had the butler provide the juice and snacks.

In all honesty I have never heard of cabin crawl participants receiving knick knacks of any sort. That is usually part of an optional gift exchange done at the end of the Meet n Greet.

And unless you are the last cabin on the Crawl there is no time to eat/drink. It is a quick in/look/out, on to the next cabin. Also, even though 100 might have signed up, only about half that many will actually show up.

Edited by NMLady

Please help with ideas

Oh help please

I have participated in MANY. not once did anyone provide a trinket. only a small percentage have a snack, usually bowl of candy or nuts that they brought from home.

with that many people you need to break it up into smaller groups.. most we ever had was like 15 or 20. more than that will juts NOT work.. you clog up the hallways and stairwells/elevators and forget trying to squeeze people into the cabin.

It is mainly a way to see many of the different cabins on the ship. I agree when you have too many people, you need to break it down to smaller gtoups! I have always enjoyed seeing the nicer cabins. No need for drinks or anything as this is a walking tour.

We've never done an "organized" cabin crawl...sounds like a lot of trouble! What we do is...make friends with our tablemates, find out what kind of cabin we are all in, and go look at each different category! Easy and manageable!

There is really no point to look at 6 inside cabins or 4 D cat. balconies...they are all the same!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Thanks for your feedback

I figured the whole 100 won't show

I did mention to the organizer about splitting into groups

We have only selected host with different type cabins or unusual one's

I volunteered before I know how big it would get. I thought 10 people. LOL

Heck this group is all about organize things

Informal meet and greet

scavenger hunt

cabin crawl with poker run

slot pull

carnival hosted meet and greet.

There's more I just can't remember

All these events have RSVP to the one's you want to go to.

Bases5,

Didn't you start out with just the wedding guests? About 30 if I remember correctly? With 100, I would cancel my participation in the cabin crawl. I would not want that many people going through my cabin and would think it an imposition for other passengers. For me, the only participants can be those whose cabins are also on the crawl, no curious onlookers. Maximum 6 cabins and the 12 passengers who are in these cabins.

There's no way I'd want 100 people coming to our cabin on a cabin crawl. To be honest, that's way out of line in many ways. And, I just don't understand how people on roll calls take over things and plan so many activities. When did this kind of thing start? I can see a meet and greet, and maybe another get together, but I've seen roll calls where they have something planned for every single day of an 11 day cruise. That's just too much, imho. I've even seen someone plan a special lunch in the MDR where people did a gift exchange, and again, to me, that's just way too much.

Sounds like Madame Superorganizer is in overdrive.

I don't get this type of activity but clearly nobody will starve if you skip the refreshments. If you want 10 or as many as 100 coming through your cabin that's up to you. But opening your cabin to inspection does not obligate you to spend money on trinkets. Which will probably end up overboard anyway. And if you buy 100 and 10 show up you're left with the other 90.

(This is why I pull out of roll calls once a Superorganizer takes charge.)

I hosted my cabin on my last cruise. Anyone on the roll call could participate. Cabins were chosen so that all were different. Everyone met in one place and were divided into groups of 5-6 and each started in a different cabin. We did not have any snacks or trinkets. Those who hosted went to visit the cabins after the crawl was over. It all worked very smoothly.

I enjoy cabin crawls, and have both participated and organized several of them on different cruise lines. The primary purpose of the cabin crawl is to see different types of accommodations as well as anomaly's within a certain type. Since the ship is usually sold out, the cruiseline cannot show you these different cabins, that you may be interested in booking on future cruises.

So, unlike a "pub crawl", refreshments are not necessary.

As for controlling the amount of participants, the technique that I employ, when organizing one, is to require any participant to be willing to show their cabin, in order to see that of other's. That usually does the trick to discourage "looky-lou's". I explain that once we have the final list of participants, we will only select one from each type to view, based on the easiest route to navigate. Those that are seriously interested will be willing to accept those terms.

I have been flamed on some roll calls for not just allowing everyone to view, without being willing to show theirs. In those cases, I have offered to them the opportunity of taking over the job, and doing it their way. They usually are not heard from again on the subject....;)

I think it is only fair to be willing to show your cabin, if you expect to see that of others....:)

Edited by bob brown

I've participated and hosted several cabin crawls (especially when I've had 7688 or 7388 on an RCI Voyager class ship with the large balcony). Usually the only people who show up are those who are the most vocal on the boards. Friends and family just want to get back to whatever they want to do onboard the ship which is fine by me. I have never given or received trinkets during the cabin crawl. I have never provided treats or drinks either. The only time anyone provided beverages was when one of our cruisers in the Grand Suite provided champagne for us to drink. It was a lovely treat in a lovely suite. I've sailed with CCers numbering close to 200 and only about 30 participated in the cabin crawl. We always provided a list of the cabins in the order being visited and people would announce that they were going to open the next cabin and people would start trickling off to visit while the current cabin remained open until the last person left. We never moved as a huge group. Also, depending on the size of your cabin, people will just come in, look around and exit. Unless you have a big balcony or large suite, most people aren't going to stay for any length of time. So relax and enjoy the opportunity to show off your cabin.

Also, just because people are offering lots of different things to participate in doesn't mean you HAVE to participate in them all. I realize that this might be your first cruise and you are excited to participate, but please don't feel that you are obligated to. Pick and choose the things you want to do and don't worry about offending the person who is hosting an event that you don't want to participate in. Some of us like to plan, others have sailed together many times and like to do things like slot pulls, mini golf tournaments, etc.

Have a great cruise!

I enjoy cabin crawls, and have both participated and organized several of them on different cruise lines..

It's also why I didn't join the M&G on QM2 last October. In the roll call you appeared to be almost begging for a cabin crawl. I didn't want to come to the M&G and then have this exchange:

"Are you in first or second sitting?"

---"Neither. I'm in the Princess Grill."

"Oh I would love to see a Princess Grill stateroom."

------"Me too!"

----------"So would I."

----------------"Won't you please show it to us?"

Then if I say no I'm the anti-social party pooper.:(

On my last NCL cruise, the lady that started the Roll Call was organizing all the events (M&G, Cabin Crawl with Poker Draw, Slot Pull, Gift Exchange, etc).

After a couple of months, she had to cancel her cruise. I took charge of the M&G, but asked others on the Roll Call to take an event. We then added a Specialty Birthday Dinner as there were 6 of us having birthdays on the cruise.

I had 60 signed up for the M&G, but numbers varied for the other events from only 11 of us for the Specialty Dinner to 25 for the Cabin Crawl & Poker Draw, and 23 for the Slot Pull.

58 of the 60 showed up for the M&G, but only 25 did the gift exchange.

I believe we had 6 cabins in the Cabin Crawl. We had an aft cabin with the huge balcony and we did have champagne & sparking cider. Some folks did linger on the balcony but I would say 10 minutes at most and some folks moved on immediately, so things moved along well. In the interior cabins, not so much. The one Family Suite we saw did have quite a layout of beverages & snacks. The final cabin was the host of the Cabin Crawl in one of the Royal Suites and she had small chocolate liqueur cups (really quite the hit). We also finished the Poker Draw in this cabin, so we lingered there about a half hour to forty five minutes.

The Slot Pull was fun, though we didn't win big. I think it cost us $15 to play, and we ended up getting $12 back.

The weather was lousy for this cruise, had a couple of REALLY ROUGH nights, cancelled ports, etc. so the CC events saved the cruise.

I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules for CC events. Each individual that volunteers can run it the way they want. Just be sure to make it clear on the Roll Call when, where & what the rules are.

I stopped joining Roll Calls several years ago when they started talking about gift exchanges, cabin crawls, games and slots, etc.

I just like to meet people and socialize.

I always join the Roll Call and attend the Meet n Mingle where socializing is done. The other things are all optional and I do not participate in them although hubby has done one cabin crawl and enjoyed seeing suites and owners cabin.

Sounds like Madame Superorganizer is in overdrive.

I don't get this type of activity but clearly nobody will starve if you skip the refreshments. If you want 10 or as many as 100 coming through your cabin that's up to you. But opening your cabin to inspection does not obligate you to spend money on trinkets. Which will probably end up overboard anyway. And if you buy 100 and 10 show up you're left with the other 90.

(This is why I pull out of roll calls once a Superorganizer takes charge.)

I completely agree with you. I too, have joined a roll call, and later dropped out due to someone going overboard with scheduled events.

It's fun to share excitement and ideas on the roll call (online), do a meet and greet, and small group cabin crawl. We usually opt out of the crawl though.

It's also why I didn't join the M&G on QM2 last October. In the roll call you appeared to be almost begging for a cabin crawl. I didn't want to come to the M&G and then have this exchange:

------"Me too!"

----------"So would I."

I'd be surprised if that occurred on a QM2 M&G.

Cabin crawls: yet another reason to avoid mass market lines.

LOL! This all sounds like stuff I used to do with my adolescent girl friends at slumber parties - exchanging worthless trinkets, nibbling on snacks, ooing and ahhing as each of us tried on different outfits.

Thank heaven I outgrew such activities when I started college. :D

Edited by PTMary

Cabin crawls: yet another reason to avoid mass market lines.

I have been on ten cruises on the mass market lines and have never seen any remnants of a cabin crawl. I don't think it's a good reason to avoid a cruise on any cruise line.

I'd be surprised if that occurred on a QM2 M&G.

True, but with the way one person was almost begging for one to be offered I didn't want to take the risk and therefore avoided the get together completely. (Cabin crawls are rare on QM2 because there is a wide variety of ship-sponsored activities to occupy time on sea days.)

True, but with the way one person was almost begging for one to be offered I didn't want to take the risk and therefore avoided the get together completely. (Cabin crawls are rare on QM2 because there is a wide variety of ship-sponsored activities to occupy time on sea days.)

As with all cruise lines.

I have never been on a cruise where I couldn't find something to do without having to rely on silly roll-call arranged cabin crawls, gift exchanges, scavenger hunts, slot pulls or poker draws to keep from getting board. Even sitting on my balcony just watching the ocean pass by would be more enjoyable.

Edited by SantaFeFan

------"Me too!"

----------"So would I."

No one at the Meet and Greet is "begged" to show their cabins. All those that participate, willingly do so by advance arrangement on the roll call.

I am a ship lover. Unabashed. Enthusiastic.

So yes, I love to see all facets of a ship, especially one that is all new to me.

So if my enthusiasm, and effort to do a cabin crawl has offended you, I am sorry.

I think those that do participate, have a great time, and learn a lot about their ship.