Crew change?

Euby

I was wondering at what point does a ship's crew change? Is it usually when they go from one coast to another?

Reason for asking is that I've been seeing some reviews of the Veendam (while on the East Coast) that have me concerned. I'll be aboard her in November for 17 days going to Hawaii and back.

We once boarded the Amsterdam on the day the GWV ended in FLL, and looking down at the dock from the Lido it appeared that about 1/3 of the 647 crew were departing! That's probably about the biggest change-over that ever happens at once.

Edited by jtl513

With Princess they can change crew at certain ports. Mexican or central or South America' s some times change in Mexican ports. Officers can change in any port . I've seen entertainers change ships in different Alaskan ports.

I'd go as far as to say you might see some changeover at almost any port as long as the port has reasonable access to a relatively major airport. By changeover I don't mean a huge number. It's not like I sit on my verandah and count but I've seen anywhere from two or three to a dozen or more leave or join the ship. Obviously you're going to see more changeover at home ports, especially on say Alaskan and Caribbean cruises, but in the Med you'll likely see a small stream at almost every major stop.

I was on the Zuiderdam a year ago just before it went to drydock in the Bahamas. A vast number of the crew rotated out in Ft. Lauderdale. It seems the crew hates drydocking, where they are assigned all kinds of menial labor of the fetch and carry kind. They also hate serving the hundreds of workers onboard, since they get no tips.

Crew come and go all the time. It would be most unusual (but for perhaps Grand Voyages and World Cruise, maybe?) that some crew do not rotate off and others rotate on. Their contract dates are all staggered and as they complete their contract, they head home and new crew replace them to begin their new contract.

A great many times we have seen departing crew boarding a bus headed to the airport and their vacations. :) We have also seen them (particularly at Black Falcon Terminal in Boston) waiting to board the ship as returning crew. CBP Officials control when and how they will leave and return in U.S. ports.

Edited by sail7seas

I've seen entertainers change ships in different Alaskan ports.

Entertainers come and go frequently. As they work for the cruiseline, not the ship, their "gigs" can be spread out over a lot of different ships/dates/itineraries if they choose that. All depends on the contract they signed.

Years ago the guest entertainers could be assigned other duties...hostess a large party, call bingo etc. if on the same ship for a week. I don't see that anymore. Now just the full time ship performers ( dancers and singers) and other staff members are used.

Edited by eandj

Well, sure...an entire band would be on the same schedule....it's not like you can just change one member of a band on short notice! Bands are a "group" effort....

My understanding is that the HAL Cats are swapped in and out all the time. They are not a band that created itself, but a group of musicians individually hired by HAL.

We saw a large number in the airport in Sydney when we were headed home. It looked like the entire HALCats band was leaving as well.

Well, sure...an entire band would be on the same schedule....it's not like you can just change one member of a band on short notice! Bands are a "group" effort....

My understanding is that the HAL Cats are swapped in and out all the time. They are not a band that created itself, but a group of musicians individually hired by HAL.

I read somewhere quite a while back that the entertainment was hired, then put together as a group (HalCats, Neptunes, Show Staff etc) then practiced together on land for some period of time as a group before they were sent to the ship as a group. I think it would be disruptive to the band to be changing members.

I read somewhere quite a while back that the entertainment was hired, then put together as a group (HalCats, Neptunes, Show Staff etc) then practiced together on land for some period of time as a group before they were sent to the ship as a group. I think it would be disruptive to the band to be changing members.

We were on the Maasdam two years ago and a member of the HAL Cats was on an excursion with us. He was leaving and being replaced after our cruise. The rest of the band was staying. He told us that having various players rotate through is pretty standard. That's why the song lists are somewhat standardized.

He had a few days off in Fort Lauderdale and was then joining another set of HAL Cats on another ship.

On the Zuiderdam last year, the Adagio Duo musicians (and I use that term loosely) were both from the Ukraine and met each other aboard the ship. And, sadly, they sounded that way. Awful. Such a disappointment after the outstanding pair we had the year before on the Oosterdam, who are an established duo who play perfectly together.

Each crew member has their own contract with a specific end date (many lines use 6 - 9 month contracts). Certain key officers rotate about every 3 months. It is not unusual for some contracts to be I extended a few weeks or months (joint decision). But even on Grand Cruises there is some crew turnover.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the Zuiderdam last year, the Adagio Duo musicians (and I use that term loosely) were both from the Ukraine and met each other aboard the ship. And, sadly, they sounded that way. Awful. Such a disappointment after the outstanding pair we had the year before on the Oosterdam, who are an established duo who play perfectly together.

Was that the female pianist and male violinist? If so there was more than that going on!

We'll be on Veendam in 25 days and will provide a full report. I read the relevant reviews and when their is such a wide variation between more than one review I tend to think the reviewers might be at least part of the problem.

We boarded the Eurodam in Fort Lauderdale in 2013. There was a large contingent of Indonesians and Phillipinos seated in the boarding area.

It was time for a crew change. They of course had to board as soon as everyone had cleared the previous cruise.

Edited by Typhoon1

Was that the female pianist and male violinist? If so there was more than that going on!

I have no doubt! These are the two who, if nobody was there when they got back from a break, would just leave again. Lots of undercurrents, pouting and extra curricular activities. That's the pair.

I think it would be disruptive to the band to be changing members.

If you look at the history of musical groups of all types on land, they change out members all the time. Good musicians should be able to cope with it.

DON