RCCL Take Note...... Follow Carnival

The ship water is fine but it does contain more salt and my ankles swell.

There may be something that makes your ankles swell, but I doubt it is salt in the tap water. Unless you also on an ultra-low salt diet, your salt from the water is probably negligible compared to what you get with your food.

The cost that Royal charges you for Evian is ridiculous for bottled water, regardless of it being a name brand. That's what's wrong with it!

Some people have objected to the brand, not just the price.

They could certainly do that but the loss of revenue from onboard drink sales would have to be made up elsewhere in order to remain profitable. Likely this would have to be an increase in cruise fare for everyone. :)

Maybe, Disney doesn't care what you carry on as I recall, as long as you consume it in your cabin. I've never been to a hotel, condo or resort that prohibited having any otherwise legal beverage in your room. In my experience this is a special phenomenon aboard certain cruise lines.

Maybe, Disney doesn't care what you carry on as I recall, as long as you consume it in your cabin. I've never been to a hotel, condo or resort that prohibited having any otherwise legal beverage in your room. In my experience this is a special phenomenon aboard certain cruise lines.

Seen the price of a Disney cruise? :)

Hotels do not rely heavily on drink sales for revenue. In fact, many do not even sell alcohol at all so this is not really an apples to apples comparison.

If you want to make similar land based comparison then you would need to bring up something like a sporting event ($20 hot chocolates at the Super Bowl) or a concert.

:)

not even sell alcohol at all so this is not really an apples to apples comparison.

If you want to make similar land based comparison then you would need to bring up something like a sporting event ($20 hot chocolates at the Super Bowl) or a concert.

:)

In all honesty, thats not really apples to apples either. One might argue that at a sporting event, you are only there for a few hours. On a cruise ship, you are there for a week. ;)

I've never been to a hotel, condo or resort that prohibited having any otherwise legal beverage in your room.

I haven't either. But then again, I've also never been to a hotel, condo or resort that traveled between different countries, either.

In all honesty, thats not really apples to apples either. One might argue that at a sporting event, you are only there for a few hours. On a cruise ship, you are there for a week. ;)

Sure you can argue the length of time but I think they are comparable because you are a captive audience for the time you are there.

Sure you cannot really walk out of a cruise in the 4th quarter...

Explain this:

In a natural disaster someone selling bottled water for $10 is price gouging and you are a criminal but sell water for $10 at an Atlanta Braves game and you are just a businessman. :)

I haven't either. But then again, I've also never been to a hotel, condo or resort that traveled between different countries, either.

Me neither, but you can't see another country from a cruise ship.

Perhaps I'm mis-reading this, but I'm thinking that CCL is doing this to prevent the use of bottled water as a means to bring alcohol on the ship.

Yep. That's the FIRST thing that crossed my mind. They're not fooling anybody...LOL

Is there any option for purchasing water (at any price) in advance and having it delivered through Royal like there is on Carnival? I looked on the website but didn't see anything.

Yes there is. Check again under beverage packages. My DH and I pre-order a 12 pk of Evian on each cruise, and it's in our cabin when we arrive. We don't care to lug it around prior to embarkation, so pre-ordering is just more convenient. The catch is that they are the huge liter bottles and they aren't cheap.

Yes there is. Check again under beverage packages. My DH and I pre-order a 12 pk of Evian on each cruise, and it's in our cabin when we arrive. We don't care to lug it around prior to embarkation, so pre-ordering is just more convenient. The catch is that they are the huge liter bottles and they aren't cheap.

Thanks Judi!

Yep. That's the FIRST thing that crossed my mind. They're not fooling anybody...LOL

I don't think anyone suggested they were trying to fool anybody. They were quite open about why they are doing this. The third sentence from Heald says:

"We have also found that bottled beverages are frequently used to transport alcohol and the screening measures needed to validate the contents delay the embarkation process for all guests."

Edited by time4u2go

I don't think anyone suggested they were trying to fool anybody. They were quite open about why they are doing this. The third sentence from Heald says:

"We have also found that bottled beverages are frequently used to transport alcohol and the screening measures needed to validate the contents delay the embarkation process for all guests."

I didn't say that anyone suggested it, I AM stating it.

Checking for the contents doesnt delay embarkation that long. Carnival ultimately wants you to make ALL of your liquor purchases onboard. Thats my opinion, and that is probably the case.

I have never tried to smuggle any water (or anything else for that matter) onboard, but I can tell you I'd be all over this. We would probably preorder 2 cases and then buy extra onboard. In a heartbeat...

Someone should start a petition...I'd sign it, but wouldn't know how to go about starting one. Include the letter from Carnival to show RCCL what they are doing.

Explain this:

In a natural disaster someone selling bottled water for $10 is price gouging and you are a criminal but sell water for $10 at an Atlanta Braves game and you are just a businessman. :)

Actually, 3rd in the division and 3 games below 500 I could argue that they are both criminals :cool:.

Yea, that didn't make sense

I've been to Cozumel and been on the Fury catamaran, I've been to the Cayman turtle farm, I've been to Disneys private island, but I've never seen Mexico, the Caymans or the Bahamas.

On the other hand, I've walked the west end road in Jamaica. I've stopped in local bars and restaurants that might have names, if you're there long enough. I've made friends in Austria who threw a going away party for my wife and I. I've gone skiing in the Alps, I've hiked in the Netherlands. I don't believe that when our cruise stops in Labadee, that I will see Haiti.

Does it make sense now?

I hesitated to even reply to this since it really diverts from the point of the thread.

Edited by Sitzmark

Hi,

WE sail on RCCL in August. We're also doing a local 4 day cruise on Carnival in November. I saw the $2.99 price 3 days ago on Carnival and bought a 12 pack immediately! I figured it was a typo:).

I'm with Carnival on this Mr. RCCL.....it's a win win for all of us!

:). Bobbi

I usually bring bottles of water on the ship and I think it's a great idea, as long as it's actually spring water and not just treated tap water. Does anyone know what brand of water Carnival is using? From the picture on the website, it looks like it's going to have a non-brand or Carnival label. Which could be just about any kind of water.

I have - in the 1980's it was very common for hotels to forbid outside alcohol, and they would levy a charge (I saw as much as $50, in 1980's dollars) if they caught you. So I would tip the housekeeper and dispose of the bottles by the vending machines in the hall. I assume they didn't dust for prints.:D

But that custom fell by the wayside a long time ago.

Dasani is tap water, HAHA

We english laughed when they launched Dasani in the UK and contaminated it with bromine. Killed the brand over night thank god.

I find it funny how you dislike french mineral water from a glacier but like filtered tap water from the US.

I hear some people ask if the water in the ship's toilets is fresh water or salt water. It's neither because it's Evian. Well, at least the toilet in my stateroom is at some point after taking a couple sips of the complimentary bottle. JK ;). But that smaller bottle of Evian is all I can stomach.

I prefer purified simple water than having minerals in my water. While Dasani and Aquafina are great alternatives while traveling, I'd much rather the "Pure Quality" of "100% Natural Spring Water" from Poland Spring that I'm drinking as I write this post.

Poland Spring, What it means to be from Maine.

Edited by TM38Rob

There may be something that makes your ankles swell, but I doubt it is salt in the tap water. Unless you also on an ultra-low salt diet, your salt from the water is probably negligible compared to what you get with your food.

If a person swells while eating the food and drinking the ship's water, but...

Doesn't swell while eating the food and NOT drinking the ship's water, then...

What do you think the thing causing the swelling is?

Ayep, the ship's water.

That's why there are many of us who do NOT drink the ship's water, because we are having that exact scenario.