Cruising from New York

Anyone tell me what NY Weather in November is normally like ?

We are flying in for 3 nights to NY before flying down to Miami for our cruise !

Already conerned with A - Getting to NY and B - Getting out of NY in November due to Weather issues!

Thanks

We are flying in for 3 nights to NY before flying down to Miami for our cruise !

Already conerned with A - Getting to NY and B - Getting out of NY in November due to Weather issues!

Thanks

http://www.intellicast.com/local/history.aspx?location=USNY0996

Hi All,

I am looking at a cruise from New York to the Caribbean in January 2018.

The itinerary is great and would be great to spend a few days in New York pre cruise.

However ,as its January I am concerned about the weather. There's 3 sea days to start , the first of which is likely to be freezing but not sure what to expect after that.

If anyone can can give us any info on what to expect that would be great.

Cheers

Bob.

We sailed out of New York in 2008 on Liberty of the seas.

We had a night pre and post cruise in the Millennium hotel in New York.

The weather was absolutely freezing but we got muffled up and saw some of the sights.

After a couple of days it started to warm up and by the time we got to St Thomas the weather was lovely.

Personally if you can i would sail from Florida or San Juan.

Thanks

The last many years November ahs not been a heavy snow month. As a matter of fact, this winter has been pleasantly mild with only a couple of snow storms. If I recall, New Year's day was close to 80 degrees.

I think the OP wants to cruise on the Anthem......a wonderful choice and awesome itinerary what ever the month.

The OP is arriving days early, so should be fine. Cruising late summer or fall out of Fla. and playing hurricane roulette is just as worse.

Go for it OP, Bob? We have sailed out of the mid to upper East Coast in Jan. many times. We have built snowmen on our balcony, we became an ice breaker getting back to Baltimore. All were wonderful cruises.

As soon as you step foot in the Anthem, you will feel as if you are in the Caribbean. People will change into shorts and sandals. The indoor Solarium is amazing and there will be so much to do indoors while the weather is a bit cold. Warm weather should arrive late afternoon on day 2.

Pack layers and bring your jeans and winter coat/gloves/hat for touring NYC. Take a carriage ride in Central Park, they provide the blanket. Visit museums etc.

Wishing you the best winter/cruise vacation ever:D

Once you get past Florida, the weather will be fine and hot. The Caribbean is HOT all year round. Nassau and Bermuda are NOT Caribbean countries and have weather more like Florida...

Not sure I'd spend money to cruise out of a northern port in the winter.

Sailed on Jan14 on the Anthem this past year. We departed to snow.

The very next day, on the 15th, people were in the outdoor pool by 1pm.

On the day before we returned, I was on the flowrider at 3pm.

Also, the ship is designed for NYC. 2 indoor pools. Indoor multi-use court area.

Once you get past Florida, the weather will be fine and hot. The Caribbean is HOT all year round. Nassau and Bermuda are NOT Caribbean countries and have weather more like Florida...

Not sure I'd spend money to cruise out of a northern port in the winter.

Bermuda tends to have much cooler weather than Florida, swimming season is pretty short

Sailed from NJ several times during snow storms. I drive to port, so I got there. Many flying in didn't. Storms can disrupt EWR for multiple days.

On January sailings it can be frigid on the first and last day, and seas are often pretty rough until you round Cape Hatteras. November should be much calmer.

Unless OP is totally set on sailing Anthem suggest instead flying direct to Florida and sailing from there. Should enjoy warm weather throughout cruise and could always make post-cruise stopover in NY on the way home.

OP- again, this statement is technically true, but the ferry service is from the south tip of Manhattan, New York City.

Again, pointing out that the vacation destination isn't New Jersey- it's just the port.

That is not the only ferry service, it may be the only one you are aware of but there is also ferry service from NJ to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...both of which are located in New Jersey.

Hi All,

I am looking at a cruise from New York to the Caribbean in January 2018.

The itinerary is great and would be great to spend a few days in New York pre cruise.

However ,as its January I am concerned about the weather. There's 3 sea days to start , the first of which is likely to be freezing but not sure what to expect after that.

If anyone can can give us any info on what to expect that would be great.

Cheers

Bob.

The winters in the New York City/northern New Jersey area the past few years have been mild as compared to many years ago. As opposed to many snow storms of a few inches of snow, it seems we get hit by 1 or 2 significant snowfalls.

I sailed out of Bayonne on Anthem in January of 2016 and 2017 and both cruises the weather was, for winter, good. On the first full sea day in 2016 the air temperature was 60 degrees fahrenheit. This past January it did snow on sailaway day, the remainder of the cruise was good weather. I guess I have been very lucky. Hopefully the dates you select, the weather will be as pleasant.

We have cruised out of both NYC and NJ and have never been delayed for weather, it can be cold, we stay in NJ and come into NYC for some cruises, others were out of bayonne. January this year we left from NYC and it was about 57 and no snow. 2012 we left from Bayonne and it was raining and 45. still no snow. 2009 we sailed from bayonne and it was really chilly but no snow. I live in NY. Not the city tho. We take the weather as it is and enjoy our cruise no matter. We stay over a night either way. I like I can drive to the port. If I ever went from Miami I would go by train.

Wow ,

Thanks for all the replies.

The main reason for looking at this cruise was a chance to spend a few days in New York pre cruise.The Welsh are a pretty hardy race so not overly concerned about the temperatures in New York just didn't want to spend 2-3 days indoors on board.

One of the other reasons for looking at this cruise was the lack of 10-12 day Caribbean itineraries.I know we could do 2 x 7 day B2B but with the travelling/overnights either side that soon becomes 16-17 days.

With regards to the New York/New Jersey debate , its all New York from this side of the Atlantic.I guess its no different to Southampton being advertised as London!

Thanks Again.

Bob

i said NCL in december. sail away was killer. i'm guessing JAN weather is worse. however what really sucked is the breakaway is not a cold weather ship. there's nothing really for kids etc to do inside in the bad weather. 1st day was tolerable at 55 but no way can get in the unheated pools or sit outside if it rains

the main reason i booked anthem this winter is from all the videos ive watched, its the perfect winter ship. so it really depends on the ship you choose in winter.

Bermuda tends to have much cooler weather than Florida, swimming season is pretty short

Good call...I have always been advised that Bermuda weather is more like the Carolinas ( same latitude) . :)

Wow ,

Thanks for all the replies.

The main reason for looking at this cruise was a chance to spend a few days in New York pre cruise.The Welsh are a pretty hardy race so not overly concerned about the temperatures in New York just didn't want to spend 2-3 days indoors on board.

One of the other reasons for looking at this cruise was the lack of 10-12 day Caribbean itineraries.I know we could do 2 x 7 day B2B but with the travelling/overnights either side that soon becomes 16-17 days.

With regards to the New York/New Jersey debate , its all New York from this side of the Atlantic.I guess its no different to Southampton being advertised as London!

Thanks Again.

Bob

For a longer Caribbean cruise strongly recommend Celebrity Eclipse out of Miami. Have sailed the 14 day itinerary twice and absolutely loved it. Since X is part of the Royal family you enjoy reciprocal loyalty percs.

Good call...I have always been advised that Bermuda weather is more like the Carolinas ( same latitude) . :)

royal has some december bermuda cruises scheduled and i'm curious how they sell. been looking at pricing since its the only way id ever live the suite life. there was one royal loft for 10K one time but since removed from the site..sigh