Eclipse - Gastropub ?

upwarduk

I have just read on another thread, that the Gastropub will not be added to Eclipse, when she is in Drydock at the end of this Caribbean winter season?

Any thoughts why?

Hasn't it proved popular on Equinox?

See post 6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2175451

Edited by upwarduk

Oh that's a shame if so. I'm on the Eclipse in May and was really looking forward to trying the Gastrobar - showing my other half the beer menu was actually what persuaded him that he would have a good time - he was reluctant to try a cruise until then. I hope the craft beers are all still available elsewhere.

Does anyone know if they're still adding Slush? I hope so, the frozen drinks sound great (more up my street than the beers really)

Edited by lucyliz

We specifically asked the Hotel Director in January and he confirmed the Gastropub for the Eclipse during dry dock.

Cellar Masters was more or less empty. Enomatic machines had no bottles anymore. It was used for the Riedel wine and the Schott beer glass classes and Perry Grant was playing there at night.

Would be a waste of space if they don´t convert it to the Gastropub.

Giving up the Aqua Suites on the Reflection it wouldn´t make sense to convert suites or parts of the Sky Lounge to AC suites.

steamboats

I believe that the decision has been recently made. The Gastropub is on hold for now. This was relayed by staff in Guest Relations, Future Cruise Sales, and others who had been attending on-board briefings in preparation for the dry dock.

I can tell you that on Equinox in January, our table at dinner was close to the entrance to the MDR. Gastrobar staff would pass by carrying food from the MDR kitchen to the Gastrobar. We only saw food on its way to Gastrobar four times in ten days. I'm guessing that the expensive food options have not been popular enough to warrant the remodeling.

We were just on Eclipse for the Feb 1 sailing. The Captain himself told us that they are not adding the Gastro Pub... but that they are adding the new menu to Bistro on 5. Suite dining room will be taken from the main dining room upstairs.

On the Equinox last nov we only ordered food there 1 time, it was very good, but not over the top enought to warrant the additional cost.

Now it is a GREAT place to sit and watch Sat College, and Sunday NFL games. The place was packed both weekends during our 11 days active, many wearing team clothing, and lots of back n forth good natured taunting going on.

The, for a fee, food and beer paring sessions sold out both times it was offered. We did not sign up as my wife has Celiac, I watched, looked wonderful, and the beer info was very good, friends that went were very happy with the class.

EW

We were on Equinox on the TA in the fall and the new pub seemed to be underutilized as well. It's more open to the rest of the ship than I had thought it would be. We decided to try a burger there and paid the high price. It was good, but honestly we love the burgers at Mast Grill so it didn't seem worth the additional high cost.

We're on Eclipse in November and news that the new Bistro menu is coming is really exciting if that's true. If they don't open the room up like they did on Equinox, it will likely be a more intimate venue for entertainment. We're not big on craft beer and never really used the room when it was Cellar Masters. Now if they'd turn it into a dedicated Mexican restaurant I'd be first in line! :D

I'm not surprised. The food was over-priced in my opinion. One of the F & B team on our recent Reflection cruise said that the results on Equinox had been underwhelming.

I mentioned to him that the price - point was too high for me. I don't think about dropping $3-$5 extra, but $6-$10 and I think twice. There is so much included food, that I'm unlikely to spend on the pub food for the price they want. I did like the space, but not the price.

I also wondered about Slush. He said he wished he had Slush - that he would have had a huge line on our sailings, but that apparently it had not done great either. Personally, I think Slush was on the wrong ship. The 10-11 night sailings were not the place to try out Slush. The 7- night sailings in the Caribbean would love it, however!

Personally I wouldnt use it. Doesn't make any sense to pay for bar food. There are too many other food options and I don't need another source to over eat and then pay extra.

happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I also wondered about Slush. He said he wished he had Slush - that he would have had a huge line on our sailings, but that apparently it had not done great either. Personally, I think Slush was on the wrong ship. The 10-11 night sailings were not the place to try out Slush. The 7- night sailings in the Caribbean would love it, however!

We were on the 11 day southern Caribbean sailing on the Equinox, the drinks were just not good, and with the Premium pkg we tried a good many of them with 4 sea days around the pool.

Seems like pubs that sell bar food at $3 or $4 per item don't do well on cruise ships. We were on the Quantum a few weeks ago and Michaels Pub (same concept) was always empty. Right next to it was the free café and Sorrento's pizza and both were usually jammed. A few years ago on Carnival, the Red Frog Pub had a few beer drinkers but not much food business. That said, I've never seen a wine bar with much activity.

Seems like pubs that sell bar food at $3 or $4 per item don't do well on cruise ships. We were on the Quantum a few weeks ago and Michaels Pub (same concept) was always empty. Right next to it was the free café and Sorrento's pizza and both were usually jammed. A few years ago on Carnival, the Red Frog Pub had a few beer drinkers but not much food business. That said, I've never seen a wine bar with much activity.

I was also told that the Eclipse will not be getting the Gastro Pub. Just off her yesterday 3/1 and the HD, Future Cruise Sales Mgr and Bevergae Director told me the same.

I agree Cellar Masters is under utilized most of the time with the exception of the nightly Perry Grant concerts.

I was also told that the Eclipse will not be getting the Gastro Pub. Just off her yesterday 3/1 and the HD, Future Cruise Sales Mgr and Bevergae Director told me the same.

Did they say anything about the beers that would have been stocked in there - will they be available anywhere else on the ship? It would be a shame if this means the choice will just be the standard Budweiser/Heineken/Becks etc

I have just read on another thread, that the Gastropub will not be added to Eclipse, when she is in Drydock at the end of this Caribbean winter season?

Any thoughts why?

Hasn't it proved popular on Equinox?

See post 6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2175451

We were on Eclipse for the Jan.18 trip. Staff told us the plan was to have both Gastro Pub & the new suites only rest. up & running after dry dock. We'll have to wait & see, I guess.

We were just on Eclipse for the Feb 1 sailing. The Captain himself told us that they are not adding the Gastro Pub... but that they are adding the new menu to Bistro on 5. Suite dining room will be taken from the main dining room upstairs.

So the suite dining room will be completed in drydock??

I'm actually not surprised that there are several previously-announced projects which have been put on hold. It was just in December that the company got a new president. Re-evaluating some potentially expensive expenditures is probably appropriate.

It surprises me that they planned to introduce lsuch a change when it appears the evidence (from equinox) of extra revenue was less than Stella / stellar.

Most people only have so much money to spend and if they feel they can get a very good burger from the Mast Grill I'm sure many will not see the point in spending extra on a burger and nibbles.

With the Eclipse based 6 months a year out of Southampton (and calling in every two weeks) I would love to see some Real Ale (Warm beer) on board. Maybe Celebrity need to bring a named chef in (similar to what they've done with Jamie Oliver on Quantum of the seas on RC)

Anyone know why they appear to be putting the Suite Dining on the Upper Floor of the MDR, isn't it being put on the lower floor of the MDR on other ships?

Edited by DYKWIA

We are on the Eclipse at the moment and spoke to the hotel director this evening. The Gastropub is not happening.

The have moved future cruises up to the conference centre on deck 14 and captains club is on deck 7.

Gordon

Besides the Gastropub which is not happening, since you are currently on the

Eclipse, can you possibly find out if they still plan to complete the suite dining

room called Luminae while in dry dock in April? Much appreciated!