7day Cruise with a Carry-on?

calisilent

DH and I are taking a Princess to Mexico in October. I want to pack my clothes entirely in an airline approved carry-on and a "personal item" (large purse), so that I don't have to check any luggage on the plane and so I can roll the carry-on to our cabin at embarkation.

In your opinion, is it possible to pack in a 10x16x24 carry-on for 7 days with 2 formal nights and a ful day pre-cruise?

Absolutely. Your day clothes are going to be very small because you are in warm weather. Take one black skirt and two small tops off the formal nights. We went to Mexico earlier this year for 2 months with just a backpack each. No problem. Going on a 4 month trip with 46 of those days on two cruise ships with just carry on luggage.

Sure unless you are taking Ballgowns & tux then no

I did it in Nov & planning to do carry on again in Nov

I just wear dress pants & a nice top for dinner & DH had a linen/shirt dress slacks

Do people really dress to nines anymore ???

I tried the bundle method of packing seems to work well

We always pack our formal clothes in our carryon, because we don't want to lose them.

We do take two suitcases each that we ship through, yes we do dress to the nines... some of us still do.

But it is possible to pack dress clothes and a few items for day, shoes are the big issues for me.

We only check our bags of dirty laundry on the way back if it is free....otherwise carryon only...reading a thread or 2 about lost and drowned luggage convinced me we could do it...I woldn't be able to find suitable clothing on a ship to replace lost things..much less stressful knowing we have it within sight.....my husband wears khaki pants on the plane and I have a couple of pretty tops to go with a black skirt should we decide to use the mdr...we often don't...being in swim clothes most of the time ,you really don't need much else...I pack my own pillow and a small fan,too...have a fold up duffel as an extra bag for the laundry so have a pull bag for purchases....not so much in the caribbean but I do have many plans for the grand med next year...I was dumb enough to prematurely put my luggage tags on....the airline thought it went to Seward while we spent the night in anchorage....didn't arrive til midnight as we were underway....never want that feelingvagain!

Just did it in a 22". Carry on embark and debark.

My biggest problem is my What If Bag. If I didn't use everything in there at least once before than the bag could have been smaller.

We've done it, but only when we were desperate to disembark early, by the same token you can walk off with even a large bag, but that may impact on flight plans.

But to reiterate it CAN be done. A big question is how often you are willing to wear the same clothes and wash things out or have laundry done.

I always do carryon now. It is totally liberating! Last year I did three Transatlantics plus extra time in Europe. I have a rolling duffel and a rolling backpack. Wear sneakers. Bring water shoes and "folding shoes" for formal night. Have a long dress that folds into nothing. Wear navy khakis and bring two other pairs plus two shorts and bathing suit and as many tops as will fit.

I have travel size sundries. I set everything up on the bed and eliminate everything I don't absolutely need or won't be able to buy. I hand wash and send laundry out because I get a free bag.

Figure out your potential savings. I figure $25 for each flight I don't have to pay for luggage. In Europe I was able to take public transit instead of arranging expensive car services or taking cabs. One of my best "deals" was to take the public bus in Paris directly from my hotel to the Eurostar train station.

I always do carryon now. It is totally liberating! Last year I did three Transatlantics plus extra time in Europe. I have a rolling duffel and a rolling backpack. Wear sneakers. Bring water shoes and "folding shoes" for formal night. Have a long dress that folds into nothing. Wear navy khakis and bring two other pairs plus two shorts and bathing suit and as many tops as will fit.

I have travel size sundries. I set everything up on the bed and eliminate everything I don't absolutely need or won't be able to buy. I hand wash and send laundry out because I get a free bag.

Figure out your potential savings. I figure $25 for each flight I don't have to pay for luggage. In Europe I was able to take public transit instead of arranging expensive car services or taking cabs. One of my best "deals" was to take the public bus in Paris directly from my hotel to the Eurostar train station.

If you have a hubby, or male travel companion, what does he do about shoes for formal night?

And DW wants to know what are "folding shoes".

Of course it can be done - often by taking two marginally over-sized carry-ons plus "personal item(s)" - hogging overhead space on the plane. But for a two week cruise, plus several days before or after, it just seems a bit dreary - forever washing underwear and wearing the same few things.

I know it can be done - however I also know I could never manage to pack all my stuff in a carry-on!

Airlines are clamping down on "over-stuffed carry-on's and large totes used as a purse" - that's one reason. Also, I have to take two flights regardless of where I go - first flight usually has very small overheads and requires that all carry-on be gated checked unless it is very small, such as a computer bag or tote bag - carry-on suitcases are gate checked. You can retrieve it at the gate in time for the second flight on a bigger plane. Those bags get thrown around just like regular luggage - would worry about stuff breaking.

Also, as someone who uses a lot of sun protection, I pack a couple of large-sized bottles/sprays - no 3 oz sizes for me! Realize some people pick up at their destination (along with wine and other stuff), but usually don't want to do that.

Congratulations to those who manage - but I don't like to wear the same clothes over and over and worry about laundry, etc.

Even with a carry-on, approved size and not overstuffed, I have clothes leftover that I do not even get to wear. This is going down 2 days early to Florida, a 7 day cruise and an extra day at the end. I roll my clothes tightly and I can get a lot in a bag. I also take at least 2 pair of shoes besides the ones I am wearing (the bulkiest usually).

If it feels tedious to you, don't do it. For us, tedious is lugging big luggage.

Note that some cruise lines do not have the cabin ready when you board. If that is your case, you would be lugging around the bag for a while

There is no rule that says you cannot give your bag to the porters just because it is carry-on size :rolleyes:

We did on a 7 night Princess to Canada. Used their self serve laundry a couple of times, mixed and matched and also carried my husband a sport coat for formal nights. And when we were racing through the airport to catch the last flight to Nashville before the hurricane hit, we were VERY grateful we didn't have huge bags to deal with!:D

If you have a hubby, or male travel companion, what does he do about shoes for formal night?

And DW wants to know what are "folding shoes".

They are like ballet slippers and they fold or lie very flat in your suitcase, take up very little space, and weigh nothing. They work just fine on the ship for a formal night dinner. I change out of my formal costume immediately after dinner back to my sneakers or water shoes. I did a B2B TA with 5 formal nights and they were wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Sidekicks-Foldable-Portable-Matching-Carrying/dp/B00CF01U66

For DH he can get away with almost anything on his feet, khakis, and a nice shirt. My experience is that table mates want you to come to dinner and really don't care what you wear as long as you don't look like a total slob.

DH and I are taking a Princess to Mexico in October. I want to pack my clothes entirely in an airline approved carry-on and a "personal item" (large purse), so that I don't have to check any luggage on the plane and so I can roll the carry-on to our cabin at embarkation.

In your opinion, is it possible to pack in a 10x16x24 carry-on for 7 days with 2 formal nights and a ful day pre-cruise?

My opinion is that it's very possible to pack for 7 days in that carry-on. I recently did a 10-day cruise with a carry-on that was considerably smaller (plus a briefcase). It helps that a) I'm a guy and b) I didn't bring any formal clothes.

We always pack our formal clothes in our carryon, because we don't want to lose them.

We do take two suitcases each that we ship through, yes we do dress to the nines... some of us still do.

But it is possible to pack dress clothes and a few items for day, shoes are the big issues for me.

Thank you for all your responses! I have read so many stories of people losing their luggage on the way to the cruise ship and the airlines not being able to get it to them in time. I have had my suitcase lost / delayed twice before myself. I will feel better if I just have it with me on the plane.

SO.... Out of curiosity I layed out all the clothes that I would take on the cruise and folded and PACKED them into the carry-on (22 inches) as an experiment and they fit!!! The only things I could not fit in we're my black high heels. I can do it if I put the heels in my big purse which will be my "personal item" on the plane. Or, I can wear the heels and pack the flats.

Here is a list of my packing. And by the way, DH and I love to dress up for formal nights.

Long black skirt with 2 dressy blouses

Short black skirt with 2 blouses

Simple black sleeveless dress

Simple white dress

3 pr of Capri shorts

5 tee shirts

3 swimsuits

1 coverup

1 sundress

7 days of undergarments

2 pajamas

Flip flops

1 pr heels

1 pashmina/scarf

1pr flats

The thing I did to make it all fit was to fold the pieces and zip each item into zip lock bags and force out as much air as possible. That also keeps things from wrinkling. The long formal skirt and dressy blouses however, I layered on top of all the rest of the bagged clothes.

We fly from a small city...I never mind gate checking because I know ir's going to be there when we land....our bags are regulation size and hard sided so no overstuffing...we do not dress for formal nights so that makes a difference....some lines don't care....for those that do we eat elsewhere.....i'm not advocating just saying it can be done...do have to bite the bullet on sunscreen but most departure ports have a Walgreens or something like it near the hotel we stay in...only once have I bought it on the ship and it was still cheaper than checking a bag....tho not by much...lol

I'm tempted to try carry on only for our 5 day but airline liquid rule is a blocker for me. Must have spray and lotion spf 70 + face sunscreen and don't want to mess with finding drug store when arrive in Tampa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all your responses! I have read so many stories of people losing their luggage on the way to the cruise ship and the airlines not being able to get it to them in time. I have had my suitcase lost / delayed twice before myself. I will feel better if I just have it with me on the plane.

SO.... Out of curiosity I layed out all the clothes that I would take on the cruise and folded and PACKED them into the carry-on (22 inches) as an experiment and they fit!!! The only things I could not fit in we're my black high heels. I can do it if I put the heels in my big purse which will be my "personal item" on the plane. Or, I can wear the heels and pack the flats.

Here is a list of my packing. And by the way, DH and I love to dress up for formal nights.

Long black skirt with 2 dressy blouses

Short black skirt with 2 blouses

Simple black sleeveless dress

Simple white dress

3 pr of Capri shorts

5 tee shirts

3 swimsuits

1 coverup

1 sundress

7 days of undergarments

2 pajamas

Flip flops

1 pr heels

1 pashmina/scarf

1pr flats

The thing I did to make it all fit was to fold the pieces and zip each item into zip lock bags and force out as much air as possible. That also keeps things from wrinkling. The long formal skirt and dressy blouses however, I layered on top of all the rest of the bagged clothes.

Good job! Glad it worked for you.

Just curious - where are your toiletries, hair dryer/appliances (realize not everyone packs those), jewelry, meds, or any other miscellaneous items going).

I posted earlier that sunscreen was my big problem - glad a couple of other posters have commented on this and also have the same concerns. It's not the clothes; it's the other "stuff". Buying on board or hotel gift shops when staying the night before, or having a cab stop on the way from the airport or to the port adds to the cab fare; not all of us stay within walking distance of Walgreens, etc.

Sorry, I guess I will just continue to risk my checked bag - and yes, it does bother me - I am a nervous wreck waiting for the luggage carousel at the airport, and also even after dropping at the port I want that bag in my room! Then I relax! I usually put a note on top of my clothing in the case giving my name and ship, date of sailing, etc. I figure if the bag does get lost the airline at least knows where I am going - have a friend who works at the airport and told me they do open a bag if they cannot identify.

Sailing in May - will be uptight until that bag arrives!

Good for you if you can do it.

I wouldn't be able to.

Good job! Glad it worked for you.

Just curious - where are your toiletries, hair dryer/appliances (realize not everyone packs those), jewelry, meds, or any other miscellaneous items going).

I posted earlier that sunscreen was my big problem - glad a couple of other posters have commented on this and also have the same concerns. It's not the clothes; it's the other "stuff". Buying on board or hotel gift shops when staying the night before, or having a cab stop on the way from the airport or to the port adds to the cab fare; not all of us stay within walking distance of Walgreens, etc.

Sorry, I guess I will just continue to risk my checked bag - and yes, it does bother me - I am a nervous wreck waiting for the luggage carousel at the airport, and also even after dropping at the port I want that bag in my room! Then I relax! I usually put a note on top of my clothing in the case giving my name and ship, date of sailing, etc. I figure if the bag does get lost the airline at least knows where I am going - have a friend who works at the airport and told me they do open a bag if they cannot identify.

Sailing in May - will be uptight until that bag arrives!

The "big purse" I have is 8x6x10. I pack my jewelry in a satin zippered pouch, as I don't bring an abundance of jewelry, my makeup bag is a pouch too, 5 cosmetics inside, small bottle of ibuprofen, one bottle thyroid meds, toothbrush, hairbrush, travel curling iron, wallet, phone, phone charger, mints, chocolate M & Ms! I don't bring a hair dryer, as the pre cruise hotel and ship have hair dryers.

DH and I will get toothpaste and mouthwash, suave shampoo and conditioner, sun screen and wine at the Rite Aid across from the pre cruise hotel the day before.

It "can" be done, but can YOU do it is the question. Lay out everything you absolutely positively MUST take, and only that. If it all fits in a carry-on, you can do it, if it doesn't, you can't.