So how can RCCL top the Oasis Class

With 3 of them at sea and two more as the cornerstone of their new build program for the next 3 years, the platform will be 10 years old before they have the opportunity to do anything else.

One of my favorite things about RCCL is they are at least 15 years ahead of the competition on the ship design front. Hoping to see something that keeps them ahead of the game planned soon.

I'd like to see ships more outwardly focused again. That is my main gripe with Oasis-class. The ships are incredible but they disconnect the guest from the sea.

I think a design like MSC Seaside is the next sea-change in the industry creating more outdoor space and centralizing hotel spaces.

Edited by LMaxwell

With 3 of them at sea and two more as the cornerstone of their new build program for the next 3 years, the platform will be 10 years old before they have the opportunity to do anything else.

One of my favorite things about RCCL is they are at least 15 years ahead of the competition on the ship design front. Hoping to see something that keeps them ahead of the game planned soon.

Good question. I don't know. Other cruise lines can't build anything close and even RCI took a step back with their newer class. I think Oasis Class is going to be at the head of the game for a long time.

Just as the Quantum class is smaller than Oasis, et al, I think the next new class will be too. At some point you get too big to fit into many ports. I feel that is already a problem with the Oasis class. The itineraries are boring in the extreme.

We are doing the Harmony TA for the ship. But, will not book a Caribbean cruise on her. We have been to all of those ports too many times.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I don't think we'll see anything bigger in the near future and maybe never. This might be it on size as far as cruise ships go. We all know one thing, RCCL will come up with something awesome, they always do. I haven't tried the Quantum class yet, we are going on Anthem next Sept., that is 2017. I'm betting and I'm almost 100% on this that its not nearly as bad as the reviews are on here. Remember people who complain are louder, people satisfied are just that, and move on.

Edited by JAMESCC

How do you define ahead of the competition? Just size or the most gimmicks on one ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Size may be part of of what sets the Oasis class apart, but the open interiors (Boardwalk and Central Park), the neighborhood concept, and the Aqua theater do not strike me as gimmicks.

I'd like to see ships more outwardly focused again. That is my main gripe with Oasis-class. The ships are incredible but they disconnect the guest from the sea.

I think a design like MSC Seaside is the next sea-change in the industry creating more outdoor space and centralizing hotel spaces.

I agree with you on this. One of my favorite things about cruising is the feeling of cruising and just relaxing or strolling on an outdoor pomenade and just watching the ocean. I wish they would include something like the waterfront which is on NCL Breakaway. Overall I am not crazy about the breakaway but I do love the waterfront. The top pool decks can get pretty hot on any ship so a shaded area is much better for those of us that do not like to sit in the sun every time we want to see the sea. If RCCL would incorporate this type of space on the Oasis class ships, it would be the perfect ship.

I don't think we'll see anything bigger in the near future and maybe never. This might be it on size as far as cruise ships go. We all know one thing, RCCL will come up with something awesome, they always do. I haven't tried the Quantum class yet, we are going on Anthem next Sept., that is 2017. I'm betting and I'm almost 100% on this that its not nearly as bad as the reviews are on here. Remember people who complain are louder, people satisfied are just that, and move on.

So true. Complainers almost always write a review, but happy passengers only sometimes write a review. I spoke to a couple on our cruise to Bermuda on a NCL ship and they told me they really liked Anthem and loved Two270. My sisters and I are booked for a cruise on Anthem for August of 2017 and we are looking forward to it. I just wish it did longer than a 5 night cruise to Bermuda. I like spending the extra night which you get on a 7 night cruise which is why my husband and I are going back on the breakaway again next May of 2017 with our daughters.

I agree with you on this. One of my favorite things about cruising is the feeling of cruising and just relaxing or strolling on an outdoor pomenade and just watching the ocean. I wish they would include something like the waterfront which is on NCL Breakaway. Overall I am not crazy about the breakaway but I do love the waterfront. The top pool decks can get pretty hot on any ship so a shaded area is much better for those of us that do not like to sit in the sun every time we want to see the sea. If RCCL would incorporate this type of space on the Oasis class ships, it would be the perfect ship.

We lived on the waterfront when we were on the breakaway and thought the same thing. The waterfront along with H2O RCCL really needs to steal both from NCL.

Taking that to the extreme I'd like too see them ditch the center promenade design, squeeze that part of the ship together and put everything that was there along the outside of the ship on a waterfront type deal.

Don't underestimate Richard Branson and Tom McAlpin and Virgin Cruises. Tom was the man Disney hired to start Disney Cruises. I think Virgin will have a new radical design. I am looking forward to MSC Seaside also. I am already booked on Seaside.

Virgin Cruises is definitely in the back of my mind. I like the size that their ships will be, and they look interesting.

My ideal next step would be for Royal to take the best ideas from Oasis and Quantum Class, mix them together on a somewhat smaller ship (Celebrity's Edge design/size would work!!!).

So true. Complainers almost always write a review, but happy passengers only sometimes write a review. I spoke to a couple on our cruise to Bermuda on a NCL ship and they told me they really liked Anthem and loved Two270. My sisters and I are booked for a cruise on Anthem for August of 2017 and we are looking forward to it. I just wish it did longer than a 5 night cruise to Bermuda. I like spending the extra night which you get on a 7 night cruise which is why my husband and I are going back on the breakaway again next May of 2017 with our daughters.

I didn't start this thread to complain and don't think my original post reads as such. And if you read my Oasis review or even just look at my signature, you'll know how I feel about the Oasis class. Just hoping they continue to stay ahead of the curve.

I don't think there will be anything to top the Oasis class at least not in the next 10-15 years.

Before the introduction of the Quantum class ships, the next one down from Oasis class was the Freedom class at around 160k GT. The Quantum class and Norwegian Escape have now taken it to 170k but there is still a big gap to 225k. I see the next decade of ships filling in this gap and get more towards 200k rather than topping 225k.

I didn't start this thread to complain and don't think my original post reads as such. And if you read my Oasis review or even just look at my signature, you'll know how I feel about the Oasis class. Just hoping they continue to stay ahead of the curve.

Irene7 was responding to a poster who said that they were going on Anthem but weren't worried about the negative reviews regrading Q Class. It had nothing to do with your OP.

Look at the post that Irene7 quoted.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I guess I would not consider them to be ahead of the competition as much as different, just like all of the cruise lines have different offerings. Some would consider NCL's waterfront and haven areas to be ahead of the competition. Some would consider MSC's new ship design to be ahead of the competition. They're all different, so I'm not sure what would make one of them "ahead" of the others.

Edited by time4u2go

I think they could top themselves by building an oasis style ship but have the promenade deck be a fully open deck. Sort of have the hotel built up on stilts. I am sure they would make it look great. It would be nice to have a shaded deck that opens up with an ocean view. Maybe throw in a few infinity pools that overhang the ocean just a few feet.

We tried the Quantum class with Ovation last month. Both of us were worried beforehand as this was by far the biggest ship we have been on. Both of us fell hopelessly in love. Given half a chance, we would only sail Quantum class now, but due to the current locations of the ships, unfortunately this is not practical.

Corinna

I do think there will be something that will top Oasis Class and it will come from RC. It could be an Oasis Class Plus or a totally new class. The competitive nature of the industry with new build designs especially from MSC and possibly Virgin will push RC to stay ahead in design. We know MSC is building a World Class series in the range of 200K plus GT, but we don't know yet if that plus is greater than 228K GT, or do we. With the creativity of some of the cruise lines, and changing consumer demands for what they want in a cruise and ship, RC and other cruise lines for that matter will step up their game to stay ahead of the pack.

We all remember when Voyager OTS came out and how it impacted and changed the cruise industry. Back then many said we would never see anything bigger or better. Well, look at were we are today.

We tried the Quantum class with Ovation last month. Both of us were worried beforehand as this was by far the biggest ship we have been on. Both of us fell hopelessly in love. Given half a chance, we would only sail Quantum class now, but due to the current locations of the ships, unfortunately this is not practical.

Corinna

Awesome info, thank you, and that in very encouraging. I am almost certain we are gonna love Anthem.

thank you for the post, I wish we could send private messages because are the perfect person to talk to. We are doing Breakaway to Bermuda this Oct., our first NCL cruise and we can't wait. We have a large aft balcony and can't wait to try that as well. Next year we have Anthem booked to Canada/NE too. Any info or advice of Breakaway would be greatly appreciated, thank you again.