Average Alcohol Consumption on a Cruise

fshagan

This article says that the average drinks cruise passengers consume equals:

0.3 glasses of champagne

0.7 beers

1.2 glasses of wine

2.4 mixed drinks

Averages don't really help us much, do they? Most beer drinkers are going to have several beers, and maybe none of that other fancy stuff. But I was surprised at the number of mixed drinks per passenger. I would have thought beer and wine drinkers would outnumber the mixed drinks.

The article says that consumption level costs about $34 per day per cruiser. So we know at least two things, either the drink packages are total ripoffs at from $50 per day to NCL's $79 per day, or the people who buy them know they drink 8 to 10 drinks per day.

The booze consumption on a cruise ship is about 8x's the average consumption, but let's be fair ... people have a designated driver in the captain, and they are on vacation.

Still, we might think about enforcing limits on how many cruises a person can take in the interest of public health! ;)

cruise-booze-consumption.jpg?w=724

Well, that's the per passenger average per day. They aren't clear about if they are only counting passengers over 21. Either way, without a doubt, NCL's $80 per day is ridiculous and IMO just to drive up the grats they charge you. The $50 is more reasonable when you figure there are a mix of non-drinkers and occasional drinkers, with mostly the heavy drinkers getting the package.

Not surprised about the mixed drinks though, a fruity frozen umbrella drink is something a lot of people (even the guys I know) look forward to on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

{Snipped}

My wife and I must be well below average then; I presume the figures are per day!!

0.3 glasses of champagne None

0.7 beers 1

1.2 glasses of wine 2

2.4 mixed drinks 2 Bushwhacker and 1 Spirits/Port

And that was with the package as a perk

0.3 glasses of champagne

0.7 beers

1.2 glasses of wine

2.4 mixed drinks

Averages don't really help us much, do they? Most beer drinkers are going to have several beers, and maybe none of that other fancy stuff. But I was surprised at the number of mixed drinks per passenger. I would have thought beer and wine drinkers would outnumber the mixed drinks.

The article says that consumption level costs about $34 per day per cruiser. So we know at least two things, either the drink packages are total ripoffs at from $50 per day to NCL's $79 per day, or the people who buy them know they drink 8 to 10 drinks per day.

The booze consumption on a cruise ship is about 8x's the average consumption, but let's be fair ... people have a designated driver in the captain, and they are on vacation.

Still, we might think about enforcing limits on how many cruises a person can take in the interest of public health! ;)

What?

Per hour.:cool:

First cruise that we got UBP on (before the 18% gratuity was added) We kept our receipts (you had to sign at that time) and figured we spent 1/2 of what the package would have cost. Still a good deal as no gratuity. We still choose this promo but our consumption is much less but still would be more than the $99/week

0.3 glasses of champagne

0.7 beers

1.2 glasses of wine

2.4 mixed drinks

The problem with your theory is that these are averages per passenger, not per alcohol-consuming passenger. What this does reinforce is that, for the average passenger, NCL's booze perk @ $14 per passenger per day for gratuities is a good deal. We both drink a lot on cruises, but would never hit an average of $79 per day each. Hence, not a good deal for us unlike the booze perk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by wdsted

That seems very low to me, we've only been on one cruise before but probably wouldn't consider NCL without the free UBP perk. I reckon my partner and I get through €200 worth of alcohol a day between us without too much problem, without a free UBP it wouldn't be worth it for us due to the bar prices.

0.3 glasses of champagne

0.7 beers

1.2 glasses of wine

2.4 mixed drinks

Where is my category mixed drinks? Is Whiskey neat a mixed drink? not in my opinion :) ;) Even on the rocks is not a mixed drink to me.

Cheers

I like to drink :-) I always buy the drinks packages, and believe I get my money's worth (I start drinking around 1pm everyday till 1/2am in the morning, cocktails, vodkas, the lot!!) Maybe the figures are because not every passengers drinks. My last cruise on the Msc davina last year we were in the main bar one night while a band was on and out of 12 tables with people on, only 1 table had one pint of beer on!! I couldn't believe it, no wonder no one was up dancing :-D talk about goin away to enjoy yourselfa

Anyways was looking to book a ncl cruise this year but a quick look on the Internet saw someone say our limited to 15 drinks a day with the drinks package perk??

I've done my part to bring those numbers down.....last 2 cruises (14 days combined...2 beers. (1 on each cruise) :p

Now, on the other hand, back when I was much younger and still in the Navy..........

Edited by TruckerDave

I always wondered why all those Platimum cruisers sailed so much? :D

Going to the Platinum party that lasts normally 45 minutes to one hour it seems most people at the party try to hit those numbers just during that time period. I've gotten very close or met those numbers at the party.

I like to drink :-) I always buy the drinks packages, and believe I get my money's worth (I start drinking around 1pm everyday till 1/2am in the morning, cocktails, vodkas, the lot!!) Maybe the figures are because not every passengers drinks. My last cruise on the Msc davina last year we were in the main bar one night while a band was on and out of 12 tables with people on, only 1 table had one pint of beer on!! I couldn't believe it, no wonder no one was up dancing :-D talk about goin away to enjoy yourselfa

Anyways was looking to book a ncl cruise this year but a quick look on the Internet saw someone say our limited to 15 drinks a day with the drinks package perk??

You are not limited to 15 drinks per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think NCL's $79+gratuity is outrageous. We did select this as one of our "perks" on our BTB cruise in June, but only because it was offered. If it weren't, we would not have purchased it on board. We cruised on RCI last June. Their beverage package cost $49pp + gratuity included frozen drinks AND bottled water. A much better deal. The 7 night UBP on NCL costs $652.54 pp. The 9 night RCI charge was $520 pp. Just saying......

No limit on the number of drinks. I certainly wouldn't pay the full price for the package and am always more likely to book a cruise where the beverage package is offered as a perk. We definitely like to indulge while on vacation. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

[quote

Still, we might think about enforcing limits on how many cruises a person can take in the interest of public health! /QUOTE]

I had a doctor a few years ago that told me in no uncertain terms that "any one who drinks more than two drinks a day is a chronic abuser of alcohol"

I changed doctors!

I can happily get up and dance without having a drop of alcohol. :D

The 15 limit on NCL's UBP is the dollar limit per drink--the package includes drinks up to $15. You're not limited on the number of drinks per day.

Where is my category mixed drinks? Is Whiskey neat a mixed drink? not in my opinion :) ;) Even on the rocks is not a mixed drink to me.

Cheers

That's a good question. I'll bet they roll those into the mixed drinks category and now it makes more sense to me. I'll drink scotch and Irish whisky most of the time (on the rocks, or if I'm feeling tender at the moment, with a splash).

I think those of us who only have one or two drinks a day are making up for those of you who are more robust with your beverages.

The problem with your theory is that these are averages per passenger, not per alcohol-consuming passenger. What this does reinforce is that, for the average passenger, NCL's booze perk @ $14 per passenger per day for gratuities is a good deal. We both drink a lot on cruises, but would never hit an average of $79 per day each. Hence, not a good deal for us unlike the booze perk.

Not sure I advanced a theory other than my joke at the end about limiting cruises due to public health concerns (and that was a joke, as I'm philosophically opposed to limitations on people's freedom). The stats are from the article I linked.

I'm not sure how the average is calculated because a cruise can have varying amounts of adults and children, or people booking rooms with an adult who is still below drinking age, etc. And many passengers drink very little; I probably have two to three drinks purchased on board during a week-long cruise, making the gratuity on the NCL version of "free" at $14 a day a bad deal. But, for that average cruiser at 4 drinks a day, the $14 a day is a good deal.