Anthem of the Seas...A lot of negative reviews, why?

I am booked on the Anthem of the Seas in May 2016 and it seems like it will be a great experience. We have cruised on Adventure, Oasis, and Allure and have enjoyed all of them. What is different about Anthem...positive or negatives? I know the dining is different and there is not a "formal" formal night, but it seems like it will be a good time.

Also, is there a fee for the FlyZone (I think that's what it is called)? I know you have to pay for alternative dining, but are there any other charges?

Edited by mistyPA

The iFly is free for one minute.

My Anthem experience was overall good but there was something missing, difficult to explain but the ship didn't seem to have a central point, almost soulless. Not quite as WOW as I was expecting too.

I am booked on the Anthem of the Seas in May 2016 and it seems like it will be a great experience. We have cruised on Adventure, Oasis, and Allure and have enjoyed all of them. What is different about Anthem...positive or negatives? I know the dining is different and there is not a "formal" formal night, but it seems like it will be a good time.

Also, is there a fee for the FlyZone (I think that's what it is called)? I know you have to pay for alternative dining, but are there any other charges?

No fees for the IFly, Northstar, bumper cars, or other activities in the Seaplex.

We were on Quantum but Anthem looks to be pretty much the same. Decor is, to my mind at least, more reminiscent of Celebrity ships. 270 is a fantastic lounge which changes dramatically from day to night. If you enjoy Anthem half as much as we enjoyed Quantum you will have a great time.:)

A minute?! [emoji33] I wouldn't be able to muster up my first loop de loop by then [emoji14]. So is that all the time you get in one go, or is there an add on rate for extra time?

It's interesting as I've not been reading 'the love' for these ships like many others, even with all their new technology and supposes 'WOW' features.

We have booked to cruise on Ovation of the Seas when she is built and coming down under in 16/17, so will see for ourselves! And lucky I have time to save some pennies and practice making faster loop de loop moves lol [emoji23][emoji13]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A minute?! [emoji33] I wouldn't be able to muster up my first loop de loop by then [emoji14]. So is that all the time you get in one go, or is there an add on rate for extra time?

It's interesting as I've not been reading 'the love' for these ships like many others, even with all their new technology and supposes 'WOW' features.

We have booked to cruise on Ovation of the Seas when she is built and coming down under in 16/17, so will see for ourselves! And lucky I have time to save some pennies and practice making faster loop de loop moves lol [emoji23][emoji13]

Apparently, from what I've read, you can only make one reservation for free, and another one will cost you, BUT I think I saw that you can do standby and go on iFly for free additional times.

Apparently, from what I've read, you can only make one reservation for free, and another one will cost you, BUT I think I saw that you can do standby and go on iFly for free additional times.

Thanks! I'm sure in all seriousness that a minute will feel a lot longer than it sounds when you are suspended in mid air trying to do anything but look ridiculous [emoji6]

My Anthem experience was overall good but there was something missing, difficult to explain but the ship didn't seem to have a central point, almost soulless.

I think this is an interesting observation given that the Quantum class does not have a Centrum or Promenade that most consider to be a central point.

Is the Royal Esplanade not comparable?

I am pretty excited too, I haven't overly looked at too much about the ship before I booked it. This will be our first ever cruise on Royal. I debated about the Grandeur out of Baltimore for the Canada/NE cruise, but figured I wanted to really try and go all out so booked the Anthem instead. We have a long way off and I am sure as with all ships there are always those that post good and bad things. I must say sometimes I am amazed by the things some people complain about.

We overall haven't had a bad cruise on any line, though they are all different and have things I liked more than others. I can't wait to try out this ship. Not sure if between now and next October I can squeeze in any other Royal cruise, but they have many ships I would love to sail on.

We've sailed on Freedom and Adventure, etc., but this will be our first "big" ship. We are excited and the ship looks gorgeous. I'm going into it knowing it's going to be a totally differenet experience wtih know MDR, etc.....but it should be interesting and any day I don't have to cook or clean is a plus in my book! lol

Like a pp said, we've enjoyed every cruise we've ever had....some way more than others, but I love it as a vacation in general and I would never complain unless something dratically awful happened.

It seems like no matter how new or old the ship is....there are always going to be people critiquing everything.

Wishing all future Anthem cruises a wonderful and relaxing time!!! Enjoy!

Anthem, like the Quantum is an intelligent and hi tech ship. Many conservative, traditional cruisers do not like it for these new concepts. You have to experience it yourself to able to decide.

I think this is an interesting observation given that the Quantum class does not have a Centrum or Promenade that most consider to be a central point.

Is the Royal Esplanade not comparable?

The Esplanade is just a bit lacking a reason to go there, shops and the occasional 'tat' sale, no spontaneity. Once you have done it a few times its a route to get from the theatre to the lifts, 270 or nibbles.

Its the same with the bionic bar (when it was working) once you have done it the novelty has gone.

IMO

A minute?! [emoji33] I wouldn't be able to muster up my first loop de loop by then [emoji14].

It's likely you wont even be let go of by the attendant in a minute.

No loop de loops but great fun.

4bf31af7b1bef739babd3501a68e8d94.jpg

I have been on Quantum and plan to sail on Anthem. This class of ships is just different. Quantum, and I will assume Anthem, is beautiful. I also have to get used the lack of a Centrum and the different way the entertainment is handled. But all in all, I do not think this class of ship will go empty.

My two cents. I did Quantum. It is a beautiful ship. Really high tech. The shows at 270 were amazing. I didn't like Dynamic Dining. Thought the waiters were too rushed and service way too slow. But I think they've worked on improving and changing that. Liked the menus though. Loved Coastal Kitchen. We had a Spa JS. Loved that cabin too. Split bathroom was nice having shower and bath in one with sink and toilet in the other with a sink.

Stuff to do.... lot's! Really enjoyed bumper cars, North Star, IFly. As others have said, IFly is 1 minute. PLENTY OF TIME. It's amazing how long 1 minute lasts. Unless you've done it before, 1 minute is plenty. And you can buy additional time. But the one reservation, rule really is to allow time for everyone on the ship to get a chance.

But what I didn't like, as others have said, is that there was "something missing." It just wasn't "Royal Caribbean." In fact we did our first Celebrity cruise in Nov. Quantum (and I'm sure Anthem) was like a combination of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. If you love Celebrity, you'll likely love Anthem. It has some of the entertainment options from Royal Caribbean but the feel and design of a Celebrity ship. Loved the Music Hall. They had lot's to do there. Schooner Bar, my favorite bar on RCCL, was "ok." Just not the same "feel."

Anyway, bottom line is I really enjoyed the cruise. But I won't work too hard at going on Anthem or Ovation. Can't wait to go on Harmony. I would not hesitate to go again, but it'd be for the price and itinerary, not the ship. You'll have a great time though. I think everyone should experience Quantum Class and see for themselves. It will definitely have it's place among certain cruisers and certain itineraries.

Edited by papaflamingo

Thanks! I'm sure in all seriousness that a minute will feel a lot longer than it sounds when you are suspended in mid air trying to do anything but look ridiculous [emoji6]

I sailed in Quantum and yes, that minute does seem a lot longer. I did have the opportunity to fly a 2nd time at no charge but declined as my ribs were sore that day. So glad u tried it..great fun.

The Esplanade while beautiful, is nothing like the Royal Promenade where people gather.

It works quite well due to the number of pax onboard.

270 is a stunning venue at any time of day or nite and hosts some great shows and events.

Loved the Cafe 270 for lunch as well.

One of my favorite parts of the ship is the adult indoor pool at the front of the ship.

Absolutely stunning!

Went up in the Northstar 4 x to experience it in port and at sea and at different times of day.

Great photo op. In fact, I witnessed the first marriage that was held in Northstar on our sailing

to a sweet couple from the UK.

The only downside for me was Dynamic Dining and it's evident Royal has abandoned rollout to other ships due to the problems and complaints.

Would I sail Anthem? In a heartbeat ..looking at other options currently but despite DD, had a wonderful time and I hope you do too.

Thanks to those who have cruised this class of ship and offered up helpful comments. As with every vacation, I am happy to be on vacation. I don't allow the negative comments to figure into planning my vacation which is why we are going on this ship, but I was surprised by the very strong feelings against it.

I think what will be enjoyable about this cruise is the different high tech concepts. After all, if we wanted a traditional cruise we would've planned for a traditional cruise. We are not the type of people who require the same wait staff every night and we don't need to be entertained by the wait staff so I don't think that will be a problem. We have sailed NCL several times, so are use to the different dining options. Certainly, I hope the food is good, but all the extras from the wait staff aren't necessary.

So, this ship is very different from Oasis class and Adventure in that there is no promenade? I am going to have to look at the deck plans to get a better feel for that.

Enjoying the summer, but glad we have this vacation to look forward to after winter.

From what I observed the ifly was a waste of time, all the queuing up dressing up waiting for your turn for 1 minute....then you never go higher than shoulder height of the attendant. The bumper cars were more fun....

No loop de loops but great fun.

4bf31af7b1bef739babd3501a68e8d94.jpg

I don't know what it is about this that makes people want to open their mouth:eek:....but for all reading who have not yet experienced this, here is a word of warning. If you have any kind of dentures, keep your mouth closed! Someone in our group lost their dentures mid flight and they had to close down everything and search the "pit". They were found, but don't know what kind of shape they were in:rolleyes:.