Selfie Stick!

You either love them or hate them...but I have a teen DD who has an underwater camera who wants to bring her selfie stick on-board for the best pics. Hoping she won't run into a problem bringing this in her carry-on bag. Anyone out there brought theirs on-board? Any issues going through the screening equipment.

She will most likely want to take it on and off the ship too. Thanks!

There were several on our cruise on Independence with them. Many used them at the muster and near the pool I didn't see anyone telling them not to use them. I do not know of any rules that would be against or for them.

Seems to be a pre-requisite for Universal Studios. Drove me crazy - everyone walking around with their selfie-sticks.

I haven't cruised since last November, but I don't recall seeing them on Reflection. first time I ever saw one was at Universal Studios in March of this year - they were everywhere.

They were everywhere on Navigator in May. I'm not sure what would prevent you from using one or carrying it with you?

^ This. OP, there is not prohibition on a selfie stick, but do be careful. They can easily get in others' way, as we found out in Alaska when using ours. :o

Anyone with them should be kicked out of wherever they are. This has to been one of the more annoying inventions ever.

They're actually quite fun. You can get a much broader shot. I only wish we had ours when we went to Bryce Canton, Utah a few months ago. Stunning.

What's the problem? Why are they annoying to you? Not illegal, immoral, or fattening. Win-Win! :D

They're actually quite fun. You can get a much broader shot. I only wish we had ours when we went to Bryce Canton, Utah a few months ago. Stunning.

What's the problem? Why are they annoying to you? Not illegal, immoral, or fattening. Win-Win! :D

Just like any device, they can be extremely annoying when in the wrong hands. People can be careless with them and oblivious to those around them when taking pictures. But people with regular cameras can be just as annoying, especially when they stick their giant lenses into other peoples' sight lines.

Perhaps because they are new, they are more obvious. We saw a few on Radiance last week, but we didn't get hit by any and there aren't any sticking into my pictures, so it's all good.

My family and I just finished our 7 day cruise on the Independence yesterday. I took and used a selfie stick for my GoPro the entire trip on and off of the ship. I had no issues, nor did I expect any, with security screening or other passengers who have problems with them. I found using it to be a great tool to give me shots and video that wouldn't have possible without it including some great pictures and videos with my family that included me. Tell your teen daughter to take her S-Stick with her and enjoy using it.

There are museums that are now banning them because people are careless and have damaged irreplaceable art.

Where? When?

I am neither a fan or foe of these, but where did you read this? Art has been damaged by people as long as museums have existed, the fad hasn't increased the numbers of incidents.

Edited by BallFour4

Where? When?

I am neither a fan or foe of these, but where did you read this? Art has been damaged by people as long as museums have existed, the fad hasn't increased the numbers of incidents.

Here's an article on selfie sticks being banned in museums that I saw recently on the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/us/museum-rules-talk-softly-and-carry-no-selfie-stick.html?_r=0

I personally don't use them, but am not necessarily opposed to them either. Any technology can cause people to be distracted/careless. However I can understand how people can get "even more" distracted when trying to get that perfect shot. (It could happen just with the cell phone however to be honest.)

Edited by RadioRob

THE BEST 23 BUCKS I HAVE SPENT....In a Long time. Love the App that comes with it too. Took this with my Samsung phone, and the remote. Taken on the Navigator OTS 3 weeks ago. You can probably guess where I was standing. look in the widow and see what I was holding!

BTW, I even took it on the Bridge tour on Saturday, No questions, no problems. Love Love Love!

C360_2015-05-22-13-17-23-876_zpsmeejstqk.jpg

Edited by pscruzinboyz

My wife and I used one (just the basic selfie stick with cord and button for $20 at Best Buy) on Navigator on the May 24th sailing. Didn't have a reason to think we shouldn't bring it. After so many trips of taking pictures where almost none have me in them it was nice to be able to take a picture when we wanted. I don't find them obnoxious any more than someone taking a picture in general. You don't have to worry about someone walking between the photographer and the people they're taking a picture of and it takes up less space usually than when that happens anyway.

I also couldn't justify spending $20/each on pictures on this being my first cruise. I can't blame anybody for buying them if they want to but I don't have the money to splurge on it. Instead of paying $20 for a picture on the dock with the ship in the background we just took out the selfie stick and were able to take multiple shots at multiple angles and spots along the dock. We even enjoyed using it on formal nights either outside on the promenade or inside along the Royal Promenade. I was also impressed by how stable it keeps your phone for shooting video. We walked along the promenade up to the helipad and were able to get a fun little video out of it.

As with anything, be considerate of those around you and it should be a fun thing to bring. I'm sure there was a time when people were annoyed by huge groups bringing personal cameras to take pictures all trip and by cell phones. I personally try not to get so caught up in taking pictures that I don't enjoy the moments of the trip but it's also really nice to be able to have some of those moments there to reminisce.

.........There's a reason why Disney has banned them in their parks......they are annoying but not surprising how this invention has caught on with the self absorbed generation......the good thing is that they can be thrown over board as easy as , say, a golf club........selfie stick?......It's all about me ALL THE TIME!!!!!!:eek::cool:

Thanks for all the positive responses. I can assure you all that we will not be visiting any museums on this cruise! There are worse things that can ruin your trip than a teen with a selfie stick! Geesh.

Great shot pscruzinboyz!

I have been packing a monopod for several years now in the checked bag. RCI has never said a thing, so you should be fine.