Your most unexpected fun at sea.

swemto

Please tell me about your fun time at sea. Did you do something, meet someone. Went to a place or activity that you did not expect to be turn out to be a highlight.

I need some fun reading. I just now recovering at hospital after metatarsal surgery.

Edited by swemto

Please tell me about your fun time at sea. Did you do something, meet someone. Went to a place or activity that you did not expect to be turn out to be a highlight.

I need some fun reading. I just now recovering at hospital after metatarsal surgery.

Our first cruise was on RCI's Freedom of the Seas this past year. We had no idea what to expect. We were wowed with the promenade as we walked through the ship. The size of it made it hard to believe that we were really on a ship at all. Even when we left port we couldn't tell that the ship was actually moving. It was truly an incredible experience.

What ended up being the most fun was not the ship or the ports, nor the food or the entertainment. It was the first night of our trip as we cruised out into the ocean. We watched a huge storm develop and it provided an amazing display of lightning and thunder. Event better than that was the next morning as the seas from the storm grew to 10-12' ocean swells. My wife and I went out to the bow of the ship and just stood there (Think Titanic) and felt the ship rise up...the wind stop and then come quickly down as the wind would pick up and rush past us and you would feel the the occasional spray of ocean mist.

Our room was right at the very front of the ship (A family oceanview) and we thought it was awesome to feel the hull of the ship rise up and then come down again. It was quite a bit of movement and rocked us to sleep. Probably the best sleep that I have had in a while. The next morning the waves were slightly smaller but I took a video so you could see how much the ship was moving.

That was a pleasant surprise for us!

-Sean

My kids first cruise on the Disney Magic. My early riser DD woke up at like 5 am and could not sleep so we threw some clothing on and went walking around we ended up outside and watched the sun rise. Just her and I and the ocean.

The next year we took another cruise and she said she wanted to make sure we did that again. I had no idea she had remembered it. After that it became our tradition. We get up early our first morning at seas and watch the sun rise together. I look forward to it so much and I know she may not remember every sunrise but watching the start of a new day at sea with my daughter is perfect.

We enjoy walking around the ships when almost everyone else is asleep its just peaceful.

Last October I was on a cruise that was calling on Grand Cayman. Upon arrival, the tenders were lining up out beside the ship when the captain announced that "due to strong winds we would not be calling on Grand Cayman today, and would slowly start making our way back to Miami". About that time, bedlam ensued at guest services, and angry passengers began shouting "we want our money back!"... I was sitting at the atrium bar watching the evolving scene over at guest services, when two incredibly beautiful young ladies showed up at the bar. Long story short, soon all three of us made our way out to the hot tub and enjoyed drinks and lively conversation. Followed by dinner that evening, as well as more drinks at the comedy club. Anyhow, what for some was a letdown by missing a port, turned out to be one of my most memorable cruising experiences...

Sailing at sea just after the midnight hour my older brother and I walked about Dawn’s decks to see areas not yet explored. On this particular sailing we concluded we were ‘the young ones’ until we found the even younger ones hang out: Pearly King’s Pub ,Deck 7 aft, port side. We thought it a great place to order a cocktail. The Cruise Staff had some event taking place for passengers and everyone seemed to be not only awake...but happy too.

The event was Karaoke. Ugh! I hate Karaoke. I hate listening to it. I hate watching it. I do not understand it. If one can sing, then maybe okay. Most people can not sing very well and I never confirm whether those who partake actually think they can. Perhaps most are just too intoxicated to care one way or the other? So we ordered another cocktail and I told my older brother the one time performing Nancy Sinatra’s “boots are made for walking” to international soldiers stationed in Sarajevo would be my one time. I did it because she too could not sing ...I whispered through most of it ...and I suspect they were really cheering only for my legs.

All I know for sure now is when stuck in a Karaoke bar, make the best of it. For no reason I will be your biggest fan. My older sister taught me that back in Bosnia. So bro and I ordered another and cheered on everyone who got up and sang. Whether fantastic or lousy or somewhere in-between, we complimented and cheered all of them. The cruise staff did an excellent job hosting the event. They were engaging, funny, and made everyone feel comfortable. They were not just going through the motions. They got people to sing and to partake. They appeared very genuine and to really like what they do.

They were too good at their jobs. I read through my brother’s lips telling me “you’re out of town nobody knows you” as I was dragged kicking and screaming (figuratively) towards the microphone and blue screen. He is the king of that slogan yet he was not going with me and he was not going to rescue me either from the really good cruise staff not taking no for an answer. It did not phase them when I pleaded that I really can not sing. My last words to brother (the Sheriff) as he slowly faded from sight was for him to arrest anyone taking out a cell phone and pointing it my way…

OMG, I was given a SIX minute song! I had only a brief moment to gather my strategy. How was I to channel the lead singer...the guitar...the long times in-between the lyrics...the four man chorus…? I was thinking about going all lame like I did to “boots” until I looked over at big brother laughing and I had not even started. Yes! That is what I needed! For us to come home with a story. A road trip (vacation) is never a journey unless you come home with at least one good story to tell or something fun to remember!

So I did what everyone else had done before me. That is to channel their best Brittany...their best Madonna...their best Beiber. I was given, not by choice, as I was forcefully informed in front of the crowd my assigned song was the closing song of the night...and I had a big responsibility. In protest, I asked if could just dance for them instead of sing. Really, give me Da Rude’s Sandstorm...just let me move my legs...this crowd too will not know the difference...but the lyrics began.

Was I really doing this... was this all just a fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...no escape from this scene!

I opened my eyes... and looked in the crowd to see

They think I am singer...I need no sympathy!

Easy come, easy go…

I sang a little high...I sang a little low

Anyway the tune waved...didn’t really matter to me

or to them…

to them

And we had the BEST TIME EVER for the next 5.5 minutes! I rocked it! I performed all the parts! I had the gestures! I moved about the staging! I got the crowd to partake! I played the instruments! I sang out loud! I sang with passion! I sang with conviction! OH mama mia, mama mia, I brought the house down! Seriously! I got an ovation...they wanted more! Big brother hugged me and told me I was freaking fantastic...that I could really sing! That I sounded like the real thing! The real deal!

My whole thinking about karaoke had changed by song’s end! I was liberated! I believe in the holy spirit and I swear to all who read that Freddie Mercury was indeed very much alive in the Pearly King’s Pub that late night! Hey man, my new karaoke mantra is “anyway the wind blows”...”anyway the wind blows…”

I hope this is what you were looking for and that you feel better Swemto!

May you road to recovery go well! If you get bored, youtube Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Nancy Sinatra's Boots made for Walking videos ...both always bring a smile to my face!:D

coka

Edited by coka

Sailing at sea just after the midnight hour my older brother and I walked about Dawn’s decks to see areas not yet explored. On this particular sailing we concluded we were ‘the young ones’ until we found the even younger ones hang out: Pearly King’s Pub ,Deck 7 aft, port side. We thought it a great place to order a cocktail. The Cruise Staff had some event taking place for passengers and everyone seemed to be not only awake...but happy too.

The event was Karaoke. Ugh! I hate Karaoke. I hate listening to it. I hate watching it. I do not understand it. If one can sing, then maybe okay. Most people can not sing very well and I never confirm whether those who partake actually think they can. Perhaps most are just too intoxicated to care one way or the other? So we ordered another cocktail and I told my older brother the one time performing Nancy Sinatra’s “boots are made for walking” to international soldiers stationed in Sarajevo would be my one time. I did it because she too could not sing ...I whispered through most of it ...and I suspect they were really cheering only for my legs.

All I know for sure now is when stuck in a Karaoke bar, make the best of it. For no reason I will be your biggest fan. My older sister taught me that back in Bosnia. So bro and I ordered another and cheered on everyone who got up and sang. Whether fantastic or lousy or somewhere in-between, we complimented and cheered all of them. The cruise staff did an excellent job hosting the event. They were engaging, funny, and made everyone feel comfortable. They were not just going through the motions. They got people to sing and to partake. They appeared very genuine and to really like what they do.

They were too good at their jobs. I read through my brother’s lips telling me “you’re out of town nobody knows you” as I was dragged kicking and screaming (figuratively) towards the microphone and blue screen. He is the king of that slogan yet he was not going with me and he was not going to rescue me either from the really good cruise staff not taking no for an answer. It did not phase them when I pleaded that I really can not sing. My last words to brother (the Sheriff) as he slowly faded from sight was for him to arrest anyone taking out a cell phone and pointing it my way…

OMG, I was given a SIX minute song! I had only a brief moment to gather my strategy. How was I to channel the lead singer...the guitar...the long times in-between the lyrics...the four man chorus…? I was thinking about going all lame like I did to “boots” until I looked over at big brother laughing and I had not even started. Yes! That is what I needed! For us to come home with a story. A road trip (vacation) is never a journey unless you come home with at least one good story to tell or something fun to remember!

So I did what everyone else had done before me. That is to channel their best Brittany...their best Madonna...their best Beiber. I was given, not by choice, as I was forcefully informed in front of the crowd my assigned song was the closing song of the night...and I had a big responsibility. In protest, I asked if could just dance for them instead of sing. Really, give me Da Rude’s Sandstorm...just let me move my legs...this crowd too will not know the difference...but the lyrics began.

Was I really doing this... was this all just a fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...no escape from this scene!

I opened my eyes... and looked in the crowd to see

They think I am singer...I need no sympathy!

Easy come, easy go…

I sang a little high...I sang a little low

Anyway the tune waved...didn’t really matter to me

or to them…

to them

And we had the BEST TIME EVER for the next 5.5 minutes! I rocked it! I performed all the parts! I had the gestures! I moved about the staging! I got the crowd to partake! I played the instruments! I sang out loud! I sang with passion! I sang with conviction! OH mama mia, mama mia, I brought the house down! Seriously! I got an ovation...they wanted more! Big brother hugged me and told me I was freaking fantastic...that I could really sing! That I sounded like the real thing! The real deal!

My whole thinking about karaoke had changed by song’s end! I was liberated! I believe in the holy spirit and I swear to all who read that Freddie Mercury was indeed very much alive in the Pearly King’s Pub that late night! Hey man, my new karaoke mantra is “anyway the wind blows”...”anyway the wind blows…”

I hope this is what you were looking for and that you feel better Swemto!

May you road to recovery go well! If you get bored, youtube Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Nancy Sinatra's Boots made for Walking videos ...both always bring a smile to my face!:D

coka

Great story! Rock on!

I wish you a speedy recovery.

We were happily surprised to meet people from here on cruise critic and Facebook on our last cruise. We spent a great deal of time with them at Vibe and went to many dinners together. But the best part has to have been inviting them all to join us in our cabana on GSC. It was a day that beat all others.

My whole thinking about karaoke had changed by song’s end! I was liberated! I believe in the holy spirit and I swear to all who read that Freddie Mercury was indeed very much alive in the Pearly King’s Pub that late night!

coka

So awesome!! Rock on, coka!

My kids first cruise on the Disney Magic. My early riser DD woke up at like 5 am and could not sleep so we threw some clothing on and went walking around we ended up outside and watched the sun rise. Just her and I and the ocean.

The next year we took another cruise and she said she wanted to make sure we did that again. I had no idea she had remembered it. After that it became our tradition. We get up early our first morning at seas and watch the sun rise together. I look forward to it so much and I know she may not remember every sunrise but watching the start of a new day at sea with my daughter is perfect.

We enjoy walking around the ships when almost everyone else is asleep its just peaceful.

I love to do same, by myself, on every cruise on every ship. Nothing like seeing the sun rise over the seas while walking my 2 mile wake up stroll, then eating breakfast and taking breakfast back to my wife in our cabin.

Our first NCL cruise was POA, and I was surprised at how friendly and informative the members of Second City were, enjoyed them very much, bought books and learned their history and philosophy which I enjoy to this day.

Thanks for sharing your memories. Looking forward to seeing you on board a cruise sometimes. I had lots of fun reading all your post. Now I am heading home for 6 week none weight bearing on my foot. Hope I am fully refurbished for 14 feb 2016 cruise with the ncl getaway.

Edited by swemto

Last February on board the Sky for a great weekend cruise that my mother put together for my DS, DB, and I for a little mini get together. We all live all over the country with kids, so just the four of us for a weekend together, no spouses or kids, was already a treat. In walking the ship to check it out, we stumbled across the hot tub on the top deck all the way forward. It's supposed to be for kids, as there is an adjacent splash pool, but the entire area was completely empty. That became our late night go to spot to relax and watch the stars as we enjoyed this special weekend that mom put together. :)

I'm pretty sure it was the first cruise I dragged DH on where he actually said "This isn't so bad". He'd been on a 4-nighter to the Bahamas in August but that was it for his cruising. We live 30 minutes from Port Canaveral and I couldn't get him to go on a cruise!!! He thought they all went to places he'd already been (he grew up in St. Thomas) and it was too hot and the ships were full of rowdy drunks and he just didn't want to go.

Somehow I found an itinerary in January that left from San Juan (a place he'd never been) and visited 4 other islands he'd never been to plus Tortola, which is his favorite island. He grudgingly agreed to go and he had a ball! So the evening we were sitting on the balcony watching the sun set and he actually said the words "This isn't so bad" I was thrilled. And immediately brought up the idea of a 12-nighter to Norway and Iceland and he agreed to try it. Whoo Hoo! He loved that cruise too, of course. But I'll never forget that moment when he finally conceded that cruising was fun. :)

First-good luck with recovery!

My time one and two are connected:

1. DH & I chatted with one of the bar musicians during a set break back in 2007. Ended up having a really fun night with him, a few of the crew and the bartender. We remain friends off the ship (going to stay with him next weekend, in fact).

2. Time two, we knew he'd be on ship and we had a group with us. Another group our age from Wisconsin was there, and we gathered at least once a day to hang out. Always in the bar to sing along when the musician-friend was playing. Many of us also remain friends to this day, as a few live in the same town as us. So, unexpected friendships that have lingered made those days special.

Oh, and a CC connection on that cruise: I knew (from CC) we could have the bar staff order us a pizza to be delivered. When it was delivered, all ~40 people at once in the bar were like, "hey! how'd you get that?!"

Last year my cruise buddy and I entered a drawing to have dinner with one of the officers. To our surprise our names were called and 8 of us had dinner with the Hotel Manager.

We were told to wait in the lobby area and then a staff member gathered us and walked us to the dining room.

We had a special table and a wait person just for our table. The menu was the same, but the wine and drinks flowed.

The Hotel Director was such a gentleman and so very interesting. He was actually from one of the ports in Portugal. that we were visiting so he gave us great hints and tips.

We did notice that he told the wait staff to bring him his regular mean, which was broiled chicken and lots of vegies (Smart move with all the food available). We also noted he didn't drink a drop of wine and said he couldn't as he was on duty.

It made for a very special evening.

We stayed until after ten, but our host left about 9:30 telling her, "bring them whatever they want to drink, but no breakfast!, ha ha....

We enjoyed the rest of the folks eating with us too and the next day four of us went together to the next port.

A really nice surpise for the two of us.

Didnt realize it at the time but my ds-17 still tells the story how he thought it was so great one nigjt when my dh and I picked him up from the kids club at midnight, he was probably between 7-10, and went to Sorrentos at ate pizza. Wow! Never know when your making those unforgettable memories. Ill always remember that and I guess it was fun too lol.

Last year an unforgettable memory was spending NYE on deck in the warm caribbean away from cold NY and celebrating NYE with our family of 11. My family, my mom and my sisters family on DCL. We had so much fun, came home and booked the Indy for this NYE.

Last June we were on the Norwegian Dawn, returning to Boston from Bermuda. During our last dinner on board, we looked out from the diningroom window and saw a pod of whales breaching near the wake of our ship.

It was a fun sight to see at sea.

We wish the OP a speedy recovery form surgery.

My most favorite time was on our honeymoon cruise back in 2007 on our shore excursion in Santorini. There were three ships in that day so thousands of people on this small island. After our tour bus dropped us off in Fira (the capital of Santorini) we were suddenly in mobs of people as all of the tour buses seemed to be dropping people off in this same area.

Hundreds of people were all following each other to find various restaurants for lunch and most seemed to be "going right" for some reason. We decided to "go left" and found a nice restaurant with a beautiful view and we were literally the only two people in this restaurant. We looked over at the main, busy part of Fira about a half mile away and thought about all the hundreds of people eating in such close proximity and were amazed and thankful to have a small part of Santorini all to ourselves if only for an hour's lunch.

One of our tour guides in Ephesus (another port stop prior to Santorini) said "Tourists go right, smart people go left." To this day we still remember that quote and laugh about it, and we still "go left" when we are at certain locations whether it's a hiking trail with a fork in it or whatever.

That day and those moments in Santorini are something I will never forget as long as I live.

View from our lunch table in Santorini

ry%3D480

After lunch, walking back towards the main part of Fira, no other people

ry%3D480

Where the masses were

ry%3D480

After we got back to the ship we enjoyed the views.

Views from our balcony on the ship

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

One of my favorite things about NCL is the staff, and the staff on The Sun were my all-time favorite. The DH and I followed them around to all of their programs and had a blast! One night there was a sing along with the staff. I LOVE to sing, but not so much solo, so I knew this would be fun. DH is not musical at all but said he would grab a drink and sit with me for a few minutes. Once the drink was gone, he was leaving. Well, we both stayed the entire show, sang at the top of our lungs, and on the last song, they moved all of us to the middle of the atrium. As we all sung and danced around, balloons fell down and we laughed as we were trying to keep them all in the air while still singing and dancing. The most random and fabulous fun that we have ever had on a cruise. I would go back on The Sun in a heartbeat just to experience that again :)

Edited by AKR2011

One of my favorite things about NCL is the staff, and the staff on The Sun were my all-time favorite. The DH and I followed them around to all of their programs and had a blast! One night there was a sing along with the staff. I LOVE to sing, but not so much solo, so I knew this would be fun. DH is not musical at all but said he would grab a drink and sit with me for a few minutes. Once the drink was gone, he was leaving. Well, we both stayed the entire show, sang at the top of our lungs, and on the last song, they moved all of us to the middle of the atrium. As we all sung and danced around, balloons fell down and we laughed as we were trying to keep them all in the air while still singing and dancing. The most random and fabulous fun that we have ever had on a cruise. I would go back on The Sun in a heartbeat just to experience that again :)

We missed that on the Sun. Is it the same on the Jewel?