Trip insurance - pros and cons

cephelapodia

One of the things you should not skimp on is insurance. I get this. I carry earthquake coverage on my house. Insurance is important.

But I have to say that the prices I'm seeing for trip insurance strike me as high. I'm talking more than I pay yearly to cover my house (the normal policy) and two cars. It's close to the horrifying EQ premium.

The trip insurance seems to boil down to the following facets:

* Cancellation/delay

* Minor illness on board (ref going to doctor onboard discussions)

* Major illness/evac

For cancellation, meh. The money is spent. I don't have a future liability there. Minor illness onboard I can pay out of pocket. Major illness is the wild card, and obviously a call to my health insurance is in order. (Ugh.)

I'm going on an Alaska Cruise with two stops in Canada. If it were somewhere more exotic (by which I mean largely distant and possibly hard to travel out of in a hurry), I'd lean more toward taking the insurance despite the cost.

I know that there are people who will always get the insurance, and people who will never get it. And I'd love to hear your reasoning if you'd like to share. I suspect that some other newbies would, too.

But for those of you who sometimes get the insurance, I'm curious what the rationale behind your decision is?

If there's anything I'm overlooking, I'd love to hear from my more experience compatriots!

Many thanks

Edited by cephelapodia
clarify what i mean by exotic destination

First question is: how old are you?

Rates go up dramatically as you age. When we were younger we never got insurance because for one thing we were mostly traveling on our own. Even today, if we are doing a land tour where our hotels, car, etc., can be cancelled without penalty -- or very little penalty -- we don't bother.

But now that we are no longer young and cruise a lot, we don't care to take the risk of having to cancel at the last minute. We did ONCE a couple of years ago and were very glad to have had insurance that allowed us to cancel for a pre-existing condition.

There are experts here who know the ins and outs of travel insurance far better than I, so I will depart the discussion for now ...

Mura

Do get insurance unless you have a credit card like Chase and your trip is $10,000 or less each. If your trip costs this or less, they cover it. Otherwise, do get insurance. I agree with you. We are now paying 10% or more for insurance. I don't think we will be traveling a lot more because we generally get the OS and it runs much higher.

A "minor" illness while on board could cost well over $1,000 to treat...not just small change. There's a thread that's been active for quite a while on this board in which some posters have expressed the feeling that Oceania's prices are too high...some using words like "rip off": http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2483260

Age is the key factor in determining trip insurance premiums, and generally the rates increase dramatically after age 70.

There is insurance you can buy that just covers medical and emergency evacuation expenses, not the cost of your cruise fare. Since you're not concerned about losing your "investment"...the cruise fare, you may want to look into policies that don't cover that. Look into "GeoBlue" insurance you can buy it through tripinsurancestore.com .

Thank you all (and any future replies!). I've bookmarked the dedicated forum for review. I suspect it will be educational and slightly horrifying.

I'll also check with my card issuer for perks I've been ignoring.

Every time we get on the ship I say why did I spend the money---however saying that we've had to use it 2 times and because we get a suite it was worth every penny. I wouldn't book a cruise because you never know.

Do get insurance unless you have a credit card like Chase and your trip is $10,000 or less each. If your trip costs this or less, they cover it. Otherwise, do get insurance. I agree with you. We are now paying 10% or more for insurance. I don't think we will be traveling a lot more because we generally get the OS and it runs much higher.

There's a little catch with credit card insurance that most folks don't realize:

While a credit card trip interrupt/cancel coverage does not include coverage for medical expenses, it may be (and most often is) subject to a lookback period for pre-existing medical conditions and there are no waiver provisions (like those that are possible in an actual comprehensive travel policy). Thus, if your trip issues are caused by your pre-existing condition, your claim may very well be denied.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all (and any future replies!). I've bookmarked the dedicated forum for review. I suspect it will be educational and slightly horrifying.

I'll also check with my card issuer for perks I've been ignoring.

While you're at it, review your earthquake policy as regards your deductible responsibilities and coverage limits. There's a reason most Californians (including affluent ones) do not purchase earthquake coverage - the "cost to benefit" is very unfavorable.

Here's a trick to save a bunch of money if you only need medical/evacuation and other overages other than trip cancellation. Buy a trip cancellation policy with the lowest coverage they will allow. We've got one with $500 overage pp for cancellation, cost $110 at our ages 71/64. We're covered for cancellation by CSR and CSP. This $110 policy covers all the other benefits at full contract value including $50K medical, no deductable and $250K evacuation.

Priced a medical/evacuation only policy with $25K medical and a $500 deductible and $100K evacuation and no delay, accidental death, etc. and for the two of us it was close to $500 Saved almost $400 and got significantly better and more coverage. Contact Steve at tripinsurancestore.com as he is the BEST

if you buy it & never use it you will feel like you wasted your money

If do not not buy it & get sick you can be out of pocket several thousand $$ depending on where you are & what is wrong with you

We never leave the Province with out health insurance & if pre paying things like cruises we get trip cancellaton/interuptions ins

pricey yes

We had to cancel the morning of our flight to the cruise but we got every penny back from insurance

yes the money would have been spent anyway but we would have had memories to show for it

with insurance we were able to have memories of another cruise instead of just an empty bank account :eek:

You can self insure or buy insurance depends on how you look at things

Everyone is different in their priorities

Here's a trick to save a bunch of money if you only need medical/evacuation and other overages other than trip cancellation. Buy a trip cancellation policy with the lowest coverage they will allow. We've got one with $500 overage pp for cancellation, cost $110 at our ages 71/64. We're covered for cancellation by CSR and CSP. This $110 policy covers all the other benefits at full contract value including $50K medical, no deductable and $250K evacuation.

Priced a medical/evacuation only policy with $25K medical and a $500 deductible and $100K evacuation and no delay, accidental death, etc. and for the two of us it was close to $500 Saved almost $400 and got significantly better and more coverage. Contact Steve at tripinsurancestore.com as he is the BEST

Sounds good but may only work best for inexpensive cruises. $500/person "cancel coverage" for a cabin cost above $20k defeats the purpose on extended premium/luxury cruise buys. And, are there PEC waivers?

For cancellation, meh. The money is spent. I don't have a future liability there. Minor illness onboard I can pay out of pocket. Major illness is the wild card, and obviously a call to my health insurance is in order. (Ugh.)

I know that there are people who will always get the insurance, and people who will never get it. And I'd love to hear your reasoning if you'd like to share. I suspect that some other newbies would, too.

But for those of you who sometimes get the insurance, I'm curious what the rationale behind your decision is?

Many thanks

We once got it when we went to Alaska, and my MIL's health was fragile. If something happened, we wouldn't be able to go. Then last year my mom and I were planning a land vacation with my niece, and she got insurance. She usually didn't but figured she was getting older. Turns out we needed it because I was diagnosed with cancer and spent the week we would have been gone recovering from surgery and preparing for Chemo. Since thing, I have and will always get the insurance, you just never know and I'm pretty risk-averse. I am aware that since I have a pre-existing condition, the rules are a little different. And for us, losing the money we'd paid for a cruise would be tough.

Of course, it's a personal decision, but factors for us include age, health, and not having to worry about what would happen if.

We've always purchased insurance. Didn't use it on our first two cruises, but on our third, I had a situation that required quite a bit of care in the ship's medical facility and almost day-long testing at the hospital in Quebec City while Marina was docked there. Total medical bills came to about $4,500. Insurance quickly reimbursed me for all of it.

Last year, due to another medical situation, we had to cancel a Mediterranean cruise just days before departure, and once again, insurance reimbursed us for the total cost of the cruise plus a non-refundable hotel stay we had booked in Athens. We will never cruise without insurance.

Sounds good but may only work best for inexpensive cruises. $500/person "cancel coverage" for a cabin cost above $20k defeats the purpose on extended premium/luxury cruise buys. And, are there PEC waivers?

Not true Flatbush. Not using the $500pp cancellation coverage as am covered thru a credit card that doesn't cover medical. Am taking advantage of the full other coverages in the cancellation policy and not using the cancellation portion as coverage is coming from another source, CSR and CSP.

Yes, have to figure out the best way to do this depending on age, length of cruise and cruise cost but, is a viable option if everything lines up.

Not true Flatbush. Not using the $500pp cancellation coverage as am covered thru a credit card that doesn't cover medical. Am taking advantage of the full other coverages in the cancellation policy and not using the cancellation portion as coverage is coming from another source, CSR and CSP.

Yes, have to figure out the best way to do this depending on age, length of cruise and cruise cost but, is a viable option if everything lines up.

Yes, true (in certain circumstances): For anyone with pre-existing conditions, the credit card coverage has a lookback period from the day the cruise was "deposited." Though not medical insurance, it still considers medical reasons for trip cancel/interrupt.

It's the biggest single caveat with CC protection - possibly making claims worthless. Also, most CC have a $10,000 claim limit for travel claims (though that can be doubled by splitting associated costs on separate spouse cards from same bank.

Whatever the case, the bottom line always remains "read the fine print."

Yes, true (in certain circumstances): For anyone with pre-existing conditions, the credit card coverage has a lookback period from the day the cruise was "deposited." Though not medical insurance, it still considers medical reasons for trip cancel/interrupt.

It's the biggest single caveat with CC protection - possibly making claims worthless. Also, most CC have a $10,000 claim limit for travel claims (though that can be doubled by splitting associated costs on separate spouse cards from same bank.

It CANNOT be doubled.

Max is 10k pp for yourself and travel partner through chase 20k max

We get an additional 5k pp through Citicard. Different insurer

Max is 30k per trip through credit cards

It CANNOT be doubled.

Max is 10k pp for yourself and travel partner through chase 20k max

We get an additional 5k pp through Citicard. Different insurer

Max is 30k per trip through credit cards

I used to think it was $10k aggregated. But I did some research and now I've got an e-mail from a Chase bank credit dept supervisor saying that, if you deposit the cruise with husband's United Explorer Visa account and pay the balance with wife's separate United Explorer Visa account OR pay each separate per person fare with the two different cards, the $10k max applies to each card. In essence, each person is covered for half the cost of a $20k trip.

you need to analize your risk:confused:

where will you be going,,,,africa, mongolia, south america? where treatment is abysmal or nor existent or will you be cruising New Zealand, Australia Singapore UK, Denmark, Norway, . where visitors, are given free medical care till discharged. ..why evacuate to the USA if all is fine?

Do you really need to fly back to Podunk community hospital and dr bob?:rolleyes:

Or is the care given in the likely countries of visitation that is equal or better? Me I dont care.

As to evacuation, at sea there is no charge, none, zero even for thousands of miles of helicopter, fix wing or surface ships provided free by the worlds navies and coastguards, ( except Iran and N Korea I suspect) No expense spared and many of the larger Navy ships have very sophisticate hospitals far better than home

Then who do you have health insurance with ... I Have KaiserHMOS and Medicare and it covers me world wide, no deductible, no cap, . and they will decide if I need transport back to a Kaiser facility of if I am good to go where I am at till recovered Live in Calif,Ore,Wa, MD VA OH....then you can get Kaiser too.

Finally I book with my chase cards and 10K for trip cancel and delay/ per person

Thus I have never ever bought extra insurance, ans with the aforementioned factors I have discussed had numerous claims, and never spent in 20 years more than $15.00 and I am in my70's

Buy extra only if your at a risk factor or possess a risk factor in your trip that I have mentioned

:confused:

Visiting any commonwealth country or one with socialized medical ( except cuba) I would get any 100% so no need. Visiting Africa, the mid east, Asia, yes Id get a lot. Visiting south pacific... all those islands are covered by commonwealth countries stewardship, not get any

Take your money that you'd spend, buy a good stock and invest, do so every cruise and you can very shortly become self insured its how the insurance folks make it

Its not a question of luck then is it!...it is how you look at and analyze what your exposure will be, dont just assume the best or the worst....do some home work.

Me Im going t Alaska .... risk none on every count nothing extra madical, evaciation, cancellation all covered.

Taking a cruise around Newzealand and Australia, risk medical none, evacuation none, cancellation none all covered

None.

Visiting Aftica/ south america....everything I can get.and maybe even a smith and Wesson too Its all relative

Edited by Hawaiidan

It's also important to know what is considered a pre -existing condition under the contract.

you need to analize your risk:confused:

where will you be going,,,,africa, mongolia, south america? where treatment is abysmal or nor existent or will you be cruising New Zealand, Australia Singapore UK, Denmark, Norway, . where visitors, are given free medical care till discharged. ..why evacuate to the USA if all is fine?

Do you really need to fly back to Podunk community hospital and dr bob?:rolleyes:

Or is the care given in the likely countries of visitation that is equal or better? Me I dont care.

As to evacuation, at sea there is no charge, none, zero even for thousands of miles of helicopter, fix wing or surface ships provided free by the worlds navies and coastguards, ( except Iran and N Korea I suspect) No expense spared and many of the larger Navy ships have very sophisticate hospitals far better than home

Then who do you have health insurance with ... I Have KaiserHMOS and Medicare and it covers me world wide, no deductible, no cap, . and they will decide if I need transport back to a Kaiser facility of if I am good to go where I am at till recovered Live in Calif,Ore,Wa, MD VA OH....then you can get Kaiser too.

Finally I book with my chase cards and 10K for trip cancel and delay/ per person

Thus I have never ever bought extra insurance, ans with the aforementioned factors I have discussed had numerous claims, and never spent in 20 years more than $15.00 and I am in my70's

Buy extra only if your at a risk factor or possess a risk factor in your trip that I have mentioned

:confused:

Visiting any commonwealth country or one with socialized medical ( except cuba) I would get any 100% so no need. Visiting Africa, the mid east, Asia, yes Id get a lot. Visiting south pacific... all those islands are covered by commonwealth countries stewardship, not get any

Take your money that you'd spend, buy a good stock and invest, do so every cruise and you can very shortly become self insured its how the insurance folks make it

Its not a question of luck then is it!...it is how you look at and analyze what your exposure will be, dont just assume the best or the worst....do some home work.

Me Im going t Alaska .... risk none on every count nothing extra madical, evaciation, cancellation all covered.

Taking a cruise around Newzealand and Australia, risk medical none, evacuation none, cancellation none all covered

None.

Visiting Aftica/ south america....everything I can get.and maybe even a smith and Wesson too Its all relative

Not quite as simple as you've made it sound.

While you are correct that the USCG will not charge for a medically necessary evacuation at sea (most appropriately handled by them), that "free ride" may only get you to the nearest "medical" facility for stabilization. You will be subject to charges for transfer beyond that - whether to a regional hospital and/or home to the US by ambulance (air or otherwise). And that's where things start to get expensive. If this all occurs outside of the US, Medicare pays zilch. And any Medicare supplement must be the type that converts to regular coverage once you leave the US (hopefully with "no limit" emergency "ambulance" transport.

As you mentioned, there's also the issue of which country may do that evacuation and to what country you will be transported. Many other "coast guards" do not charge for evacuation. But, there are exceptions and you'll know them when you see the Red Cross on the air ambulance helicopter with Visa and MasterCard icons under the horizontal arms of the Red Cross decals. (I remember seeing that in Austrian Alps - yes, I know, - not a sea evac).

Personally, if I had a major medical event (life threatening), I'd want to get back to UC San Francisco Medical Center (or its equivalent) in some major cosmopolitan city ASAP. Ergo, that may mean purchasing additional coverage.

As for the credit card trip insurance: as I've posted before, credit card coverage has no waivers of PECs.

Nonetheless, I do agree that one needs to measure their own risk.

I used to think it was $10k aggregated. But I did some research and now I've got an e-mail from a Chase bank credit dept supervisor saying that, if you deposit the cruise with husband's United Explorer Visa account and pay the balance with wife's separate United Explorer Visa account OR pay each separate per person fare with the two different cards, the $10k max applies to each card. In essence, each person is covered for half the cost of a $20k trip.

Yes.l But what Rally Dave was talking about is "stacking" which is not

allowed. Eg. If you both have a Sapphire Reserve Card (multiple accounts),

your trip is 40K, you can not get the 20K benefit PER CARD. You get 20K per

trip max with Chase.

Here is the text of an email from the benefits manager at Chase:

The benefits do not stack. If a Covered Loss results in Benefit Amounts

becoming payable, which when totaled, exceed the applicable Trip

Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence,

then the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance

per Occurrence will be divided proportionally among the Insured Persons,

based on each applicable Benefit Amount. If a person is eligible for

insurance under multiple Accounts, then such person will only be insured

once, under the Account which provides the Insured Person the largest

Benefit Amount for the loss that has occurred.