Celebrity's mistake with the new overnights

cruisestitch

Here's what I think they did wrong -- regarding the new overnights in the Caribbean.

It's probably a great idea, innovative, sure to be popular.

BUT they should have waited until the next set of itineraries were released. By changing the existing printed itineraries they will please some customers but greatly displease others.

For instance, I've been trying to help plan a cruise for friends who really want to visit Bonaire. Based on all published itineraries, we had narrowed down the choices. Now Bonaire is gone. A lot of time, trouble, and planning all wasted.

If they had just waited until the next set of deployments, most of the drama and trauma would be reduced.

It's "damned if they do, damned if they don't". If they change them now, some people will be annoyed that they altered the upcoming itineraries to do overnights. If they waited to change them the following season, then there will be some who will be annoyed that they didn't make the new overnight stops available when they cruised that itinerary the season before. And then there will be a few who will be annoyed, no matter what, because they just like to complain.

No matter what the cruise line does - or doesn't do - there will always be some who will not like it. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

It's "damned if they do, damned if they don't". If they change them now, some people will be annoyed that they altered the upcoming itineraries to do overnights. If they waited to change them the following season, then there will be some who will be annoyed that they didn't make the new overnight stops available when they cruised that itinerary the season before. And then there will be a few who will be annoyed, no matter what, because they just like to complain.

No matter what the cruise line does - or doesn't do - there will always be some who will not like it. :rolleyes:

Seriously?? :confused:

The people that booked the current Caribbean cruises did so with full knowledge of the itineraries. Now that Dominica and Bonaire have been dropped from these itineraries they are pissed. There is no 'damned if they don't' as we knew what we were paying for and now it's something different. Anyone who wants the overnights were welcome to book when the new itineraries were published. :rolleyes:

If a particular place is a "MUST DO"...then fly there, and do a land-based vacation! No cruise is EVER guaranteed to go where the itinerary says it will.....read the cruise contract! They don't have to take you anywhere!!!

There is no 'damned if they don't' as we knew what we were paying for and now it's something different. Anyone who wants the overnights were welcome to book when the new itineraries were published. :rolleyes:

Didn't you just post on your roll call:

"I won't miss Dominica because if you are not on an excursion you're better off (read 'safer') staying on the ship. For us it's a win - win because we won't miss Dominica and we get an extra 1/2 day 'at sea' before arriving into St. Maarten."

Sounds like you think the change is a "win - win".

Edited by Oville

Great post.

I'm with the bunch that say "If you don't like the change, vote with your wallet and cancel" Good grief, the contract clearly states that the cruise line will not guarantee itinerary. If you gotta see a specific island, best to fly there.

If a particular place is a "MUST DO"...then fly there, and do a land-based vacation! No cruise is EVER guaranteed to go where the itinerary says it will.....read the cruise contract! They don't have to take you anywhere!!!

Sorry, but without getting into a lot of words, that is a very narrow minded attitude.

Here's what I think they did wrong -- regarding the new overnights in the Caribbean.

It's probably a great idea, innovative, sure to be popular.

BUT they should have waited until the next set of itineraries were released. By changing the existing printed itineraries they will please some customers but greatly displease others.

For instance, I've been trying to help plan a cruise for friends who really want to visit Bonaire. Based on all published itineraries, we had narrowed down the choices. Now Bonaire is gone. A lot of time, trouble, and planning all wasted.

If they had just waited until the next set of deployments, most of the drama and trauma would be reduced.

Totally agree. We spend alot of time planning. We will make due with the changes, but I am saddened by my wasted time and feel bad for the operator that I am now cancelling...

Great post.

I'm with the bunch that say "If you don't like the change, vote with your wallet and cancel" Good grief, the contract clearly states that the cruise line will not guarantee itinerary. If you gotta see a specific island, best to fly there.

Sorry, but without getting into a lot of words, that is a very narrow minded attitude.

It's not so much a narrow minded attitude as a recognition of a fact.

Of course people have a right to be disappointed when something they look forward to is changed. But the fact is that taking a cruise that includes a destination that is critically important to you has an definite element of risk as several things that can prevent your arrival. A change by the cruise line is only one of them.

Flying directly to your destination removes MOST, but not all, of that risk. Something such as weather could also delay or even cause your trip to be cancelled. But it is far less likely that you would totally miss out if you chose that option.

The more important a certain destination is to you, the more you need to evaluate all of the risks of the various ways you can get there. Then decide which best meets your overall needs. To quote the Hunger Games, "May the odds be ever in your favor". :D

Edited by bob278

It's "damned if they do, damned if they don't." If they change them now, some people will be annoyed that they altered the upcoming itineraries to do overnights. If they waited to change them the following season, then there will be some who will be annoyed that they didn't make the new overnight stops available when they cruised that itinerary the season before. And then there will be a few who will be annoyed, no matter what, because they just like to complain.

No matter what the cruise line does - or doesn't do - there will always be some who will not like it.

i think something is wrong with you if you complain about them not changing it. You don't book a cruise with the idea they might change one of the ports.

What I want to know is why not take away the sea day by adding a port?

Seriously?? :confused:

The people that booked the current Caribbean cruises did so with full knowledge of the itineraries. Now that Dominica and Bonaire have been dropped from these itineraries they are pissed. There is no 'damned if they don't' as we knew what we were paying for and now it's something different. Anyone who wants the overnights were welcome to book when the new itineraries were published. :rolleyes:

So, does that mean that you are in the group that won't be happy no matter what? :p

i think something is wrong with you if you complain about them not changing it. You don't book a cruise with the idea they might change one of the ports.

Not sure what you mean by that comment. :confused:

I have cruised an itinerary that changed the next year by replacing a port with an even better one. Are you saying that I don't have the right to be disappointed that they didn't change it for my cruise? :confused::confused:

Not sure what you mean by that comment.

I have cruised an itinerary that changed the next year by replacing a port with an even better one. Are you saying that I don't have the right to be disappointed that they didn't change it for my cruise?

Sorry for the confusion. My point was if you have not booked a cruise yet, there is no reason you should be disappointed when the itinerary changes. You simply move on and look for another cruise. No money or time is lost on a cruise that I have not booked yet.

We are actually happy with the itinerary change on the Equinox cruise we have booked. Overnight stops are good for us.

Dont really understand how others can get so worked up , but each to their own I guess.

And if you havnt booked yet I really think having a go at Celebrity for telling you of changes BEFORE you book should not be a criticism!

Perhaps they should do a 'Mystery Cruise' where all you know is your start port and date along with the final port and date. All other stops can be a surprise...yeah that would be fun

We are actually happy with the itinerary change on the Equinox cruise we have booked. Overnight stops are good for us.

Dont really understand how others can get so worked up , but each to their own I guess.

And if you havnt booked yet I really think having a go at Celebrity for telling you of changes BEFORE you book should not be a criticism!

Perhaps they should do a 'Mystery Cruise' where all you know is your start port and date along with the final port and date. All other stops can be a surprise...yeah that would be fun

You know, if the price was right, I would LOVE a mystery cruise! Sign me up! :p

And the increase in overnights has caught my interest. I had thought maybe Celebrity wasn't really for us anymore, but we'll be looking a bit harder at Celebrity in the future.

I agree with cruisestitch that what the 'upset/angry' group are upset and angry about is not about overnights or missing this or that island. It is about publishing an itinerary and then swapping for a reason that is not based on safety/unsuitability.

For example, I have booked a Singapore to Abu Dhabi cruise 2017. All ports of call are important to me. I chose Celebrity because I love the brand. If nearer the time Sri Lanka was removed and an overnight in Goa was to replace it because Sri Lanka posed a genuine concern then I would not mind. If it was replaced simply to introduce the concept of overnight I would be very upset.

For many Europeans 'to visit as many islands as possible' during a Caribbean cruise may have driven their choice of itinerary and cruise company.

I am all for new itineraries, I have no issue with overnights unless moored in a container port. I just don't think changes should be made after release unless there is a very good reason.

Great post.

I think you are both missing the point: pax accept the changes due to unforeseen circumstances i.e. weather, sea, security conditions, but what they are saying is it is not an unforeseen circumstance. X have decided to alter itineraries after they have been released because .......... they felt like it??? And if you believe the marketing talk - people want it - you must not work in business: nothing is ever done without the bottom line being the major factor.

There is nothing wrong with introducing new overnights, however it could have been completed, without all this confusion and disappointment, on new itineraries - with a 'fanfare' of marketing to promote the innovative 'modern luxury' thinking ;).

Many people book a cruise for the itinerary, not just to be on a ship. If that was the case, as stated on the above post, we'd all be on a mystery sailing each cruise with just an embarkation and disembarkation port. You are correct in that they have a choice: cancel if you're not happy. However, some countries have non-refundable deposits so it can make a difference to them.

On balance, it may make pax think twice in the future regarding booking early. X released their schedules earlier than ever this year and look has what transpired: many itinerary alterations, missing sailings on several ships throughout the season e.g. Infinity charters, Constellation changes, Equinox August 2016 disappearing off the website. Will as many pax want to take the risk next year if X do the same and release their itineraries before, it appears, they are totally confirmed and ready?

This seems to me to be a change that comes straight from the bean counter division. This change means less cost to Celebrity for a given cruise. Stay tied up at the same dock for 2 days, no fuel expenses, etc.

I guess if this overnight stay is somewhere that is worth spending 2 days exploring, then OK. But, an overnight in most ports(small towns, islands) is just cost savings.

As long as you know what you are signing up for when you book, then good for Celebrity. That's where the OP has a disappointment with his booking IMO.

Edited by L454S

I said in the other thread about an itinerary change that I think it is a very strange decision by Celebrity to do overnights in the Caribbean. Doing an overnight on a Europe or Asia cruise can be spectacular, but personally I have no wish to spend the night in Cozumel or the like. I wouldn't choose a Caribbean itinerary with one.

Phil

This seems to me to be a change that comes straight from the bean counter division. This change means less cost to Celebrity for a given cruise. Stay tied up at the same dock for 2 days, no fuel expenses, etc.

I guess if this overnight stay is somewhere that is worth spending 2 days exploring, then OK. But, an overnight in most ports(small towns, islands) is just cost savings.

As long as you know what you are signing up for when you book, then good for Celebrity. That's where the OP has a disappointment with his booking IMO.

That's my problem as well. In the end, I have decided not to cancel because 1) taking the Equinox was part of the reason for booking, 2) I would lose the OBC booking bonus, 3) Since I booked so early I have an awesome cabin, and 4) all other cruises at the same time have sold out the cabins I would be interested in.

And, btw, that "extra" day we're in St Maarten? It's really an afternoon and night since we don't arrive until 2 PM.

If they had to do these overnights, at least start them a year from now, so people did not get their air and hotels yet and could cancel/change if they so desired....cancelling now would also involve losing my air and hotel expenses....an overnight on an Island is in no way the same as an European port....If I want to spend an overnight on an Island, I would plan to go there. Cancelling a port because of unforeseen circumstances, weather etc. is one thing but not on a whim...

And, btw, that "extra" day we're in St Maarten? It's really an afternoon and night since we don't arrive until 2 PM.

That is the same with the other itinerary change on EQ. Cancelled a whole day in Belize and added an overnight in Cozumel arriving at midday on day 1. Half a day plus wasted.

Phil

Some more thoughts, cause my 2 cents seldom matters to the wifester, and truly only matters to me.

There would never be the 'perfect' time for the Company to make and announce any changes. Look at how many of us are booking stuff 12-18-24 months out these days, unheard of 10 years ago.

Which port to drop, which to over night at?

In business you always drop the model that does not sell well.

Belize is a good example, last Nov over 50% of the passengers did not get off the Equinox when we were there. Many ship tours were cancelled due to poor sales, 2 were over an hour late getting back. 2 couples on a private tour still missed the ship.

Where as in St Marteen and Cozmuel the ship was a ghost town. The people that live there are friendly and for the most part, go above and beyond to make cruise pax happy. Why, so we leave our $$$ there! Ship tours are always full, and the many private Co's are too.

In Cos last yr, 2 couples had way to much to drink at one of the resorts, lost track of time. The Mgr rounded them up, stuck them in a cab, and told the driver not to let them miss the ship! He didn't nor was required to do this.

As a benchmark just look at the cruise for Marti Graw :D (sp) that over nights in New Orleans. It sold out almost 2 years in advance, in less than 30 days.

So just as we have the choice to 'vote' with our $$ and cancel and go to another line, RCCL/Celebrity is simply doing the same thing. Canceling and finding a more friendly port to drop anchor at.

ps: These are my observations, not created at the request of any Official at RCCL, with a promise of additional OBC for writing them.:eek::D

EW