Dessert?

dieselmama

This may seem an odd question but... we typically eat dessert a few hours after we have eaten our dinner. Is it possible to order dessert and then take it back with us to our stateroom instead of eating it right then so we can enjoy it at our leisure?

Thanks!

This may seem an odd question but... we typically eat dessert a few hours after we have eaten our dinner. Is it possible to order dessert and then take it back with us to our stateroom instead of eating it right then so we can enjoy it at our leisure?

Thanks!

Absolutely. We have even eaten dinner at the dinning room, left after finishing the entrée to go do something, and returned just for dessert.

Thanks!

Usually you are not allowed to carry food out of the main dining rooms.

In some cases, the waitstaff may be willing to send it to your cabin.

If your schedule allows, you could return to an Anytime dining room later in the evening for dessert or possible go to the buffet for their dessert selection.

And, as another poster said, if the ship has an International Café, you can get dessert there.

Both the buffet and the IC will allow you to take food back to your cabin.

Usually you are not allowed to carry food out of the main dining rooms.

In some cases, the waitstaff may be willing to send it to your cabin.

If your schedule allows, you could return to an Anytime dining room later in the evening for dessert or possible go to the buffet for their dessert selection.

And, as another poster said, if the ship has an International Café, you can get dessert there.

Both the buffet and the IC will allow you to take food back to your cabin.

My wife is lactose intolerant so she can't eat most desserts. Several nights, our head waiter made up a little dish of lactose free cookies and wrapped them in aluminum foil for my wife to take to the cabin. These were clearly intended to be removed from the MDR and we had no problem doing so.

When we were on the Coral last June I asked our waiters in the MDR to wrap up some cookies so we could take them back to the cabin. They told me they were not allowed to do so. Surprised, I asked them why, since we were always given aluminum foiled wrapped packages on past cruises. Their response was that they used to be allowed to do so but it was no longer permitted.

I don't know if this was a one off or if this is a new policy fleet wide. :confused:

Bummer! I guess we will just have to play it by ear then. Since we are traveling with our disabled son who doesnt eat anything at all it would kind of be a pain for him to make him go back out to eat a 2nd time just for us to have dessert. :(

I too have a disabled son. I found that if you speak to the head waiter on the first evening of the cruise, they will go out of their way to honor your request. If you tell them that your son can only tolerate sitting still in the dining room for so long and that you would like to have the dining room selections of desert in your cabin, I think that they would either have it sent to your cabin or package it for you to take with you.

Is it also their policy now not to allow you to take your unfinished meal from the alternate restaurant? I was on the Crown in November and ate at the Crown Grill, but they would not allow me to take my unfinished steak back to my cabin. I know in the past that has been allowed.

You can get a dessert from the Horizon or International Cafe and take with you (unless this has changed). A cruise or two ago, we would often come back to our cabin and find a plate of cookies or a muffin on a plate with plastic wrap covering it that I'm guessing our cabin steward obtained for our teen (which often would be gone by the time she'll get back to the cabin:o).

Thanks!

Go to IC which is much better than MDR desserts.

Thanks!

It's a little tacky and awkward, but possible? Certainly (anything is really). Unless it's huge and/or messy, simply wrap it in something (not the ship's cloth napkins) and just very unostentaciously or without a lot of faldorol, depart with it. Nobody will arrest you. :p Personally I'd eat the dessert at the table, but I myself also prefer the stomach to settle so as to enjoy the dessert more 30-60 minutes later and often do (at least at home). ENJOY!!

Thanks!

Absolutely. Your dining room staff will make it happen. No need to sneak out with it either. Enjoy.

Thank you all for your great suggestions! Much appreciated... it always helps in the planning stage to know what to expect and how to ask. We generally try to be as polite as possible, and being proactive is best when it comes to situations when it might affect our son. :)