Denim in MDR on Radiance?

Another dress question and I know they are annoying BUT - I have read on another forum that there is a rule on Radiance that men cannot wear denim jeans of any sort, even really smart dark ones in the MDR, and the husband of the person who posted was actually denied entry into the MDR.

Can anyone tell me if this is actually the rule now as my hubby wore good jeans to dinner at night (except for the formal nights) in MDR on our Radiance cruise home from Hawaii in 2014. We are doing the same cruise again this year and now a bit worried. :confused::confused:

Only one pair of "Denim" pants not bib overhauls LOL, and If necessary I will wear them in the MDR. In recent history I have never heard of this BS. Maybe on the Titanic era ships or UPPER SCALE lines

Have seen jeans all the time in all places! Not my style and on formal nights?? Some people just can't/won't follow any rules/convention. Whatever floats your boat[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe there is any rule against denim on any ship. For me, too hot except maybe for Alaska, and then only for excursions. Also way too heavy to pack. Have to laugh when people complain that they can't possibly pack a jacket due to weight restrictions but have no issue with heavy jeans.

In ages past they absolutely DID enforce the Thou Shalt Not Wear Denim in the MDR for Dinner clause of the dress code.

these days, it's all about the Head waiter/Maitre d' and their screening of guests. while some are okay with it, others are not, or hold Pax to standards of no holes, rips or tears or obviously 'work' denim. and no I do not think that just because you spend $250 on a pair of jeans that they are necessarily 'dress pants'

that being said, on many itineraries you just will not see it due to the ambient weather( too freaking heavy and hot in the Caribbean)

the ONLY denim Mr spook has is the pair he wears on boarding day, which usually gets tossed in a drawer until disembarkation day.

I work for an energy company and we've moved away from dockers and dress pants to indigo jeans every day. It's what is needed to attract the millennials (which I am not). The cruise lines need to change with the times for non-formal nights IMO.

There are countless threads on acceptable dress in the MDR, but that being said....we

don't wear jeans in the dining room either.

We also never even pack them, but the big exception is our upcoming Radiance cruise,

which is our return to the Alaska run. We are doing B2B and do plan on packing a

couple pairs of jeans, (along with fleece tops, rain/wind breakers, and sweaters). We

wore them quite a bit there, and will do so again.

Our last time doing the Alaska Radiance tour, we saw many..many jeans wearing

folks in the MDR. I expect to see that again. We, however, only wear dress slacks,

and nice shirts for dinner. ;)

Edited by island lady

Ever notice that the least fashionable attire always seem to rises to the top when it comes to fashions seen these days in the MDR? I happen to be a fan of denim and wear it often. I also think that a man wearing [nice] jeans, a white or blue dress shirt and a blazer can look very fashionable but if the establishment or dinning facility I'm going to attend that evening (dinner in a cruise ship MDR in this conversation) has a dress code -------- I follow it.

See how far you get trying to enter a church almost anywhere in the world (except in the US where anything looks to be acceptable) if you're not in compliance with the sanctuaries established dress code.

If you find a ships dress code 'impossible' to comply with and can't manage to change pants for dinner visit the buffet or give room service a whirl. It's your responsibility to avoid a ship with a dress code that is actually adhered to in its MDR.

I know cruise lines do not want to discourage passengers from booking with them but if the cruise lines had the guts to enforce a dress code that was made perfectly clear, not wishy washy suggested before booking passage - these post would likely not exist.

Ever notice that the least fashionable attire always seem to rises to the top when it comes to fashions seen these days in the MDR? I happen to be a fan of denim and wear it often. I also think that a man wearing [nice] jeans, a white or blue dress shirt and a blazer can look very fashionable but if the establishment or dinning facility I'm going to attend that evening (dinner in a cruise ship MDR in this conversation) has a dress code -------- I follow it.

See how far you get trying to enter a church almost anywhere in the world (except in the US where anything looks to be acceptable) if you're not in compliance with the sanctuaries established dress code.

If you find a ships dress code 'impossible' to comply with and can't manage to change pants for dinner visit the buffet or give room service a whirl. It's your responsibility to avoid a ship with a dress code that is actually adhered to in its MDR.

I know cruise lines do not want to discourage passengers from booking with them but if the cruise lines had the guts to enforce a dress code that was made perfectly clear, not wishy washy suggested before booking passage - these post would likely not exist.

Jeans aren't against the dress code

While I NEVER bring jeans on a hot-weather cruise, they are totally allowed. No worries!

I find jeans to be heavy to pack..and they are not part of my "summer" wardrobe! Of course, jeans are not appropriate on "formal" night...as they are "casual" wear.

Can anyone tell me if this is actually the rule now as my hubby wore good jeans to dinner at night (except for the formal nights) in MDR on our Radiance cruise home from Hawaii in 2014. We are doing the same cruise again this year and now a bit worried. :confused::confused:

I wear jeans to MDR on all my cruises except formal night so it is perfectly fine.

Denim is a type of material. Does it really matter what material a pair of trousers is made from? It is 2016 and sorry to say but denim is perfectly accepted in many environments it wasn't 20-30 years ago. I see many wearing jeans that look much nicer than others wearing polyester pant suits from the 80s with therapeutic shoes or guys wearing nylon pants that convert to shorts (with a sport coat in formal night). I simply don't get why some think jeans are so low class. Jeans aren't a prisoner outfit anymore and can be considered very stylish. Get with the times and accept that jeans are long pants and simply a different type of material. Ok, done with my rant.

Flannel is a type of material too. But it is inappropriate for dinner attire. Nobody accuses denim of being low class. But a pair of khakis will not kill you or ruin your trip.

Something is either against the rules, or it is not. Whether someone choose it, finds it comfortable, appropriate, etc. is really besides the point.

No one is being denied entry to the MDR for wearing denim. Period. No other way to say it.

Alaska is a denim cruise! We, and me, wore denim a couple of nights last month in Alaska.

I wore a suit for both formal nights.

No judgements, but when you are sitting at your table, can anyone see what slacks you are wearing?

Flannel is a type of material too. But it is inappropriate for dinner attire. Nobody accuses denim of being low class. But a pair of khakis will not kill you or ruin your trip.

Never seen flannel pants but I have seen them as pajamas. I have seen many women that look they are wearing pajamas pants on formal night which is why I think jeans are fine regardless. Anyhow, jeans are fine on any night in the dining room on rci including on formal night. Rci is simply following what the general public wants. To be comfortable while on vacation. If you ant to dress up great but it isn't required.

Edited by topnole