Cancelling trip due to RCCL incident?

rtmm53

Just curious...has anyone decided to cancel their upcoming trips due to

the recent events on RCCL? I am still planning on taking my cruise this sunday

on the Breakaway.

Thats like saying I am not going to drive anymore because someone had an accident or I am not flying anymore because a plane crashed.

On the flip side it shows how safe cruising is. I think the ship was rated for like 70 mph winds and it withstood 120 plus mph winds. It was probably scary as crap being a passenger on board but no one was killed and few minor injuries. I would say this is pretty good

Of course not! Weather is something that we have no control over at any time of the year. The storm predictions were not as severe as the actual event. I always believe that the Captain will take care of his passengers, his crew and his ship to the very best of his ability.

On Breakaway in May and looking forward to it......no reservations at all.

Not gonna lie, I was pretty spooked, but you have to put things in perspective and that was not the norm. I went on the Dawn the week after it hit the sandbar in Bermuda. I had a blast and also we hit weather on the way back. It was rough, but we had a ball.

I will be on the ship on Sunday expecting a great time!

No way would it stop me! It's a freak thing. I can understand it spooking people, but you have to live your life. You can't live scared to do things because of what has happened or what could happen. If you do, you may be missing out on the best things in life!

I am set to cruise the Anthem on March 4. As long as RCCL has clearance to cruise, I will walk that gangplank happily.

A coworker asked me yesterday, "isn't that the one you are going on, hpmh, I wouldn't step foot on it now". I looked at her and said yes, that is the ship I am cruising on and will until RCCL says otherwise.

Fear is real, but I cannot imagine halting my travels ANYWHERE because of it.

If it's my time . . .

I'm on the Breakaway 2/21, no way cancelling. Worst case I'll get sent to my room, thrown around a litte, maybe get seasick or fall down and get hurt but that's not going to stop me! 🎉🍸😉

This song comes to mind:

🎶🎵I get knocked down, But I get up again, You're never gonna keep me down

I get knocked down, But I get up again, You're never gonna keep me down 🎶🎵

LOL!! 😂😂

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am thankful no one was seriously injured and glad they are now safe on land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

While I cannot imagine being on that ship during the storm I'm still confident that this situation is not the norm and will not be something we see happening very often. We are set to sail for Spring Break and aren't really worried about it. Well, other than maybe packing a few extra snacks to hoard in my cabin. ;)

You bet someone will cancel their cruise.

If they didn't yet for the Zika virus, or the Ebola virus, we did have some friends that cancelled their Caribbean cruise because of that scare, someone will definitely will cancel from the RCCl news. :o

I would pay EXTRA to be on a ship in those kind of seas. :D

My dad tells me tails of being on the sea, the North Atlantic comes to mind, when his ship was pitching so hard it felt like they were straight up then snapped straight down. He said young guys who didn't know any better would be literally thrown, not rolled - THROWN, from their bunks. He said you always knew the swabbies because they'd lay in the floor crying for their momma's. Ships are built to withstand a whooooole lot and they do all the time. You only hear these sensational stories when the media can pick up the stories and bank on them. Nobody cares if it's a Navy ship, cargo or tanker. Ya know?

That said, we are sailing NCL Escape b2b in May. I wouldn't change those plans for weather. Weather and seas don't scare me. If you choose to cruise you are choosing to spend your vacation upon the sea. The sea and Mother Nature are powerful forces. You are placing yourself at their mercy to some degree. If what they can whip up is so terrifying to you, maybe that's not a good vacation choice. Seas, wind, and weather can whip up. Humans cannot forecast them 100%. They aren't meant to. Humans will never outsmart the sea. She will always hold her secrets and we should never underestimate her. Captains and other professional Mariners can do a lot in terms of reading forecasts and maneuvering their vessels but they will never be 100%. Never. Accept it. Play the odds. Have no fear.

on the Breakaway.

Why would you cancel? The ship ran into bad weather. it happens, in fact it has happened to us many times. Granted this weather was more than predicted, but there was no real damage to the ship, only a couple of minor injuries and a shortened cruise. I've been bounced out of the bed (literally) three or four times because of rough seas.

on the Breakaway.

Not only am I not cancelling any of my upcoming NCL cruises I'm not cancelling the March cruise I have on the Anthem of the Seas!

Harriet

On our Gem cruise on Jan. 22, we sailed through the back end of Winter Storm Jonas. While our winds were not as high as what passengers on the Anthem of the Seas felt, it was a very bouncy ride on our second night and into our second full day at sea. Our table at La Cucina moved and so did our chairs.

While it made for some anxious moments, it wouldn't deter me from going on another cruise. Nobody can predict the weather.

I bet Anthem is going to be one the safest ships for a while going forward. The previous captain is busy filling out applications for a new job and the new captain has probably been told in no uncertain terms to avoid any hint of a repeat.

That said, anyone comparing the Anthem to a tanker or Naval vessel should re-examine their comparison. Tankers and navy vessels do not have walls of glass, decorative artwork, and countless numbers of openings into the superstructure. Nor do they have a lightweight superstructure. The Anthem is definitively over-engineered for what it is designed to take, but careless piloting can still put the passengers at risk while the ship is perfectly safe.