Cancelling trip due to RCCL incident?

rtmm53

My parents cruised through the edge or tail end of a hurricane a few years ago and love telling the story. To be honest, when I was watching the news of this, I was sort of wishing I was on that ship. Would have been a wild experience, knowing that no one was hurt ofcourse.

Just curious...has anyone decided to cancel their upcoming trips due to

the recent events on RCCL? I am still planning on taking my cruise this sunday

on the Breakaway.

Cancel? Naw! Just make sure your captain isn't the guy that put everyone in danger.

Just curious...has anyone decided to cancel their upcoming trips due to

the recent events on RCCL? I am still planning on taking my cruise this sunday

on the Breakaway.

Nope and I am one of the few that would have loved to have been aboard the Anthem- rough seas are what it's all about.

Longtime NCL cruiser here. I just got off Anthem. Been on over 50 cruises including some whopper Winter Storms on the Gem. This was the first time I didn't feel safe and thought there was a possability the ship would capsize. When the Captain ordered everyone back to their cabin and to stay off their balconies I new we were in trouble. A few hours later he said we did take on some water and the Coast Guard had been notified. We had 12 hours of Hell. With all that said I will NOT be cancelling my upcoming cruises.

Edited by NYcruzzer

For the record, we just got off the Gem today after 10 days and faced the residue of whatever hit RCL's ship. Worst I have seen in 12 cruise trips, but totally tolerable; though some folks were certainly worse for the wear. Waves were approaching 15 feet, but winds were the real bugaboo. Everything was buttoned down real tight, and pools were emptied early in lieu of the forecast. Shows were changed and/or cancelled. There was no one walking a straight line anywhere.

If you do go - you may get a FREE unexpected theme park ride the likes of which

you would not ordinarily get - and you thought Disney park was something !

If you are motion sensitive - this could be a nightmare - but for all others

remain seated with your seat belts fasten and enjoy a ride like being in a

Super-Max theatre - you are there in living color (or maybe the absence of same).

Leave your stomach on Deck 11 well go back and get it for an encore of

epic proportions.

Important announcement - Whale and dolphin spotting activities are cancelled

they would not be interested in people freaking out looking out for them !

Reported that another smaller storm is developing for the same sailing time

frame for next week. Want an instant replay - you got it - Captain and ship

company willing and able ?

For those who seem to want and love "the rough weather"....why do you even bother going on a cruise ship? It seems you should be on a smaller boat during hurricane season.

:confused:

Mariners and Seamen do that often and they sometimes die...recently too in fact on the El Faro.

When we sail we stand out on our balcony and think with deep thoughts of all those who have sailed before us on the high seas, of their joy to do so, and of the pleasures and even the treasures and new worlds that they found along the way. In nights without moons and weather that could be feared.

There are many in history who loved the seas in small vessels dating way back to the days of the Phonecians.

The seas are the life and breath for so many peoples, and for such a long time.

:confused:

Mariners and Seamen do that often and they sometimes die...recently too in fact on the El Faro.

When we sail we stand out on our balcony and think with deep thoughts of all those who have sailed before us on the high seas, of their joy to do so, and of the pleasures and even the treasures and new worlds that they found along the way. In nights without moons and weather that could be feared.

There are many in history who loved the seas in small vessels dating way back to the days of the Phonecians.

The seas are the life and breath for so many peoples, and for such a long time.

Are you comparing a mariner, a seaman or someone sailed on thr Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria with someone in a suite in a carribean cruise?

Easy to say "I wished I were there" when you weren't.

I would pay EXTRA to be on a ship in those kind of seas. :D

My dad tells me tails of being on the sea, the North Atlantic comes to mind, when his ship was pitching so hard it felt like they were straight up then snapped straight down. He said young guys who didn't know any better would be literally thrown, not rolled - THROWN, from their bunks. He said you always knew the swabbies because they'd lay in the floor crying for their momma's. Ships are built to withstand a whooooole lot and they do all the time. You only hear these sensational stories when the media can pick up the stories and bank on them. Nobody cares if it's a Navy ship, cargo or tanker. Ya know?

That said, we are sailing NCL Escape b2b in May. I wouldn't change those plans for weather. Weather and seas don't scare me. If you choose to cruise you are choosing to spend your vacation upon the sea. The sea and Mother Nature are powerful forces. You are placing yourself at their mercy to some degree. If what they can whip up is so terrifying to you, maybe that's not a good vacation choice. Seas, wind, and weather can whip up. Humans cannot forecast them 100%. They aren't meant to. Humans will never outsmart the sea. She will always hold her secrets and we should never underestimate her. Captains and other professional Mariners can do a lot in terms of reading forecasts and maneuvering their vessels but they will never be 100%. Never. Accept it. Play the odds. Have no fear.

I'm with you there, I would love that!, I don't think we should have to pay extra though. :eek::cool:

On the Gem last Feb, 2015 we were watching waves break over the bow and hitting the windows of spinnaker lounge. Not the actual waves, just the water splash.

It was awesome!

We are booked the same cruise this year :)

Edited by MaryZ

For those who seem to want and love "the rough weather"....why do you even bother going on a cruise ship? It seems you should be on a smaller boat during hurricane season.

Point me in the direction of a smaller vessel that will take a paying passenger into high seas intentionally. I'll go.

Hubby & I are biding our time until our sons finish school. We fully intend to sail around the horn in search of God's own thrill ride.

I'm absolutely serious. I'm not just saying it. I would want this experience. It's a fact. My husband does as well.

Thats like saying I am not going to drive anymore because someone had an accident or I am not flying anymore because a plane crashed.

That is not a fair analogy at all. When a plane crashes people die. The ship did not sustain any major damage and no injuries. Of a ship with over 5000 people only 4 minor injuries. A fair analogy would be to cancel a airplane trip because another plane had bad turbulence.

RCCL refunded everyone's fair, gave them a free cruise, and a huge discount on a future cruise. Half the trip was definitely ruined. But so many times cruise lines refund only partially because of the days where everything is open and normal. Sounds like a great deal to me. Weather is unpredictable sometimes. Life is full of risks. Mother Nature will win everytime.

Edited by david_sobe

That is not a fair analogy at all. When a plane crashes people die. The ship did not sustain any major damage and no injuries. Of a ship with over 5000 people only 4 minor injuries. A fair analogy would be to cancel a airplane trip because another plane had bad turbulence.

RCCL refunded everyone's fair, gave them a free cruise, and a huge discount on a future cruise. Half the trip was definitely ruined. But so many times cruise lines refund only partially because of the days where everything is open and normal. Sounds like a great deal to me. Weather is unpredictable sometimes. Life is full of risks. Mother Nature will win everytime.

I don't think anyone can fault them for the way they compensated everyone. More than fair!

Harriet

After the Costa Concordia my daughter was spooked for our then upcoming Princess Cruise. She sailed reluctantly and had a blast. Now she is comforting her spooked friend who is supposed to join us on the Breakaway, " Don't worry, you will forget all about it when you get on the ship." A true cruiser. :D

It now appears that the Feb 13 cruise will not go forward as planned ...

The cruise ship that cut its voyage short after getting battered by rough seas and powerful winds during a storm in the Atlantic Ocean sustained damage to a key part of its propulsion system and officials are ordering it be fixed before the ship returns to sea for its next cruise this weekend, authorities say.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Anthem-of-Seas-Cruise-Ship-Storm-Damage-Coast-Guard-Inspectors-Royal-Caribbean-368534091.html