Do Floridians tire of answering questions?

If you look at just the first page or two, all of the questions are pretty much the same. " How do you get from FLL to MIA",

"What Hotel in Miami", " What hotel in FLL." Etc..etc.

Lol. Just wondering if the great experts in Florida get tired of saying the same thing over and over again when all a poster has to do is read the answers on the first page. There are even sticky's for those particular questions. NOT being snarky, just curious. :halo:

Our home base is Cape Canaveral but I travel frequently between Canaveral and Lauderdale with Port of Miami too in the near future so for me the forum is actually educational! I learn about restaurants and places to stay and in return I do not mind sharing my own discoveries. Things do change around here and it is nice to stay current.

My wish is for folks to actually provide feedback AFTER their trips instead of asking questions and then disappearing!

Ask as many questions as you want but PLEASE come back and tell us a) what you decided and eventually b) how things worked out! We like to know costs, timings and what worked/did not work!

Well its not really the fault of any of the new members if some of us Florida locals come on here often enough to notice all the repetition and redundancy. Why complain about it if we're the ones who know its just gonna be more of the same tomorrow.

I don't mind clearing up the many common misconceptions, or pointing the genuinely befuddled in the right direction.

What I do mind is people who expect someone else to do all their research for them. Textbook one of those threads from yesterday: someone looking for a hotel in a very specific location--and apparently just starting to inquire for a holiday weekend stay next month! Very few responses as it is pointless to state the obvious: check Google Maps and what the heck have you been waiting for???

And its not the newbies who are to blame: many longtime members with thousands of posts have a consistent history of starting thread after thread full of post after post with the common element of simple questions that reveal them as simply too lazy to check the cruiseline/airline/hotel/tour provider's websites, or to ask Their Friend Google who will answer quicker than the time it takes to start a new thread here. My ignore list is full of them.

Ah, whatever. In this wiki-filled world nobody ever learns how to find primary sources anymore. But that's what communities like Cruise Critic are counting on.

OP is not a Floridian from what I see, just asked a question .....

as a "new question" I was more interested in replying

I DO have more 'sympathy' for a POST #1 asking a question asked 4 hours ago for the 100th time ....

But when I see the same thing from someone with 1000 posts it makes me want to scream.

What really gets my goat are the ones that ask for the 'best ______' (fill in the blank here with ANYTHING) ...... what they want is me to a) know THEIR metric for 'best' and b) share my analysis of some number of years of reading posts here. I have plenty of folks, friends and relatives and co workers, who ask me, "you've cruised a lot, what's the best cruise" or "favorite cruise" ...... IMO dumb question. By my sig' you see I do not chase frequent flyer points with any cruise line .... we try different things. Yes we do repeats. For example when the young kids cruised with us, DCL waz da bomb. Once kids hit teen ... no longer the case.

In order to meet some of these situations halfway, I've got a handful of 'saved replies' that I'll paste in. S-Joe does the same with his websites imo. This works for questions like "what is there to do in Canaveral" but not for "what's the best hotel for me anywhere from Orlando to Cocoa Beach"

Well, aren't you lovely. I'm sure he/she was just asking an innocent question.

and I never saw it as other .. and gave a short honest ans'

does it take pages to say YES?

... as you also see, I just provided an expanded answer

Of course I'm not a "Floridian" but I've cruised in/out of there enough to offer some experiences...perhaps not the same kind of info a Floridian can share...but maybe sometimes that's not such a bad thing.

Those of you that are burned out...just change lanes and move on...there's plenty of us that will gladly give help to those that ask regardless of how many times. :)

where there's something I'm happy to see

someone from south Cali ready to tell us about east Florida!!

can I tell you about the best place to get a burger in San Diego ... I was there once for 3 days!

I enjoy helping posters .even those with real basic questions. When I get tired of doing so I stay off the boards for a while. While we live "up north" we also had a place in FL and have been in and out of Miami numerous times. The old adage is the only dumb question is the one not asked.

where there's something I'm happy to see

someone from south Cali ready to tell us about east Florida!!

can I tell you about the best place to get a burger in San Diego ... I was there once for 3 days!

YIKES.....:eek::eek::eek:

Would love to hear where you got that burger :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for all of the great answers. I have been researching Miami for a while now and the only reason I asked the question was because this section of CC, seems to have such repetitive questions. Sometimes "back to back". I also noticed reading and researching Florida, that there are a handful of very helpful Floridians that are continually answering the same questions over and over again. Simply wanted to know if it ever "got to you". Human nature. Thank you again for some very interesting answers.

South Florida is a VERY different animal from the rest of the country and Miami is a foreign city. I'm not kidding.

The questions that bother me are the ones where the OP has done some research, knows the choice they have made is poor, but just wants someone to tell them that their choice is right.

No, do not park your car in a lot in Overtown or Liberty City. It more than likely will not be there when you return.

Also, the remarks about certain neighborhoods are asinine.

I think some people don't want or have the time to scroll thru all the threads looking for answers. And they want personal attention. (shrug) No need to be rude to them. If I'm not in the mood to answer, I just skim over redundant threads. Not a big deal. No one is forced to answer. And after years, other than when new restaurants or hotels open, nothing changes a whole lot near the ports. The same things continue to be asked month after month.

I'm not living in Fl, but thru years of experiences of cruising and land stays, we know about some of the most popular issues for cruisers to and from S. FL. You don't need to be a resident to have stayed in hotels, taken shuttles, tours, eaten in restaurants etc.

And by the way, I still learn new things here and appreciate that.;)

I think some people don't want or have the time to scroll thru all the threads looking for answers. And they want personal attention. (shrug) No need to be rude to them. If I'm not in the mood to answer, I just skim over redundant threads. Not a big deal. No one is forced to answer. And after years, other than when new restaurants or hotels open, nothing changes a whole lot near the ports. The same things continue to be asked month after month.

I'm not living in Fl, but thru years of experiences of cruising and land stays, we know about some of the most popular issues for cruisers to and from S. FL. You don't need to be a resident to have stayed in hotels, taken shuttles, tours, eaten in restaurants etc.

And by the way, I still learn new things here and appreciate that.;)

I basically tried to say the same thing in my post #8 ..... Capt_BJ sure didn't like my response :eek:

I loved your response

I just categorized it

here's another point

unless you have stayed in ALL the potential hotels and eaten in ALL the potential restaurants and parked at ALL the off site parking places

all you can do say is "I liked where I ......"

which connects with my gag of 'tell me the best ..... '

and btw .... as a local resident I've likely not stayed at any or parked at any, but possibly DID eat at all .....

case closed ...... signing out from this discussion

I skip over the questions that are asked repeatedly, but I do chime in when people are looking for restaurant suggestions or areas where there are interesting places to see and things to experience. When I travel, I prefer to dine where the locals go, find hidden gems, etc., so I like to offer the same experience to people visiting the south Florida area.

For anyone that has been on this site for a while, most, if not all of the info you need can be found with doing some research. Sure it takes time, but you can almost always find it what you're looking for, either here on CC, Google, YouTube,Trip Advisor, etc. You just have to look.

If I can't find it, then I will start a new thread and ask.

I have to agree that many times questions are posted that a really quick search would have answered and sometimes I do roll my eyes a bit. But, since I'm not the one answering the questions I figure no biggie.

My pet peeve tends to be more when a question is asked and people take the time to answer, whether it be on this thread or any of the forums here, how few people come back to acknowledge the response or to give a simple thanks.

Being fairly new to cruising I try to contribute when I feel I may have something to offer even though I am fairly limited in that capacity. But I always take the time to thank those that have taken their time and knowledge to provide input to me to make my experience more enjoyable even though they really didn't have to!

They are the backbone of what makes this site work!

Not wishing to appear rude or unkind...but if people tire of answering repetitive questions, they need not answer them !!!!

Agree...I never get why some jump on a thread and complain about the question. What's the point? :confused:

After living in Miami for 23 years, I feel if I can offer a suggestion to someone unfamiliar with the area, then I will post a response. It doesn't matter if the question has been asked before, so what? I try to reply from personal experience. A lot of people don't have time to sort thru hundreds of posts for a response to their question. It's no big deal. And if someone wants to park their car in a lot on NW 7th for a week, I'll always advise them against it. Park at the port!

Doesn't bother me. Of course, I'm new . . .

If I can help w/a restaurant I will. I haven't stayed at any of the hotels so other than suggesting locations and things to do near them I can't really help. It would of course be easier if someone looked through old posts for an answer first, but then again this isn't 3rd grade and I'm not required to participate. I just hope that someone I help remembers down the road and responds when I have a question.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. Okay,not really new, just back after an 8- year absence. Always cruised with disable daughter and now I'm the one using the wheelchair.

I want to thank in advance everyone who,posted replies about hotels in Fort Lauderdale. I just booked the Hilton Marina based on reading all of these threads. Thanks also for executive VIP limousine. Was not aware of them and will definitely use them.

So some of us out here actually read everything and very much appreciate the info and help. I will do my best to post when I get home to a chilly Toronto on Dec.10th wasfollowing a Nov. 29th cruise. I thought I was doing everything too early until I read these boards! So thanks everyone.

Sheila

I lurked and read for quite a while before I finally registered and started posting because I got tired of people who live in California, New York or Michigan jumping in with completely erroneous information and arguing with us locals. The problem is those seeking information think these folks from faraway lands are credible because they have large accumulation of posts on this board. They're not. The reality is they don't live here on a daily basis and don't see the "Big Picture" because their view is very short term, myopic and usually the same thing repeated over and over and over again. There are many, many options for transportation, hotels, restaurants, events and activities in South Florida, but to read this board there are only one or two hotels and everyone should stay there because the "foreigners" with lots of posts say so.