Carnival Only - No more Norwegian

Just got back on Sunday from a 7 day cruise on Norwegian, we have only ever sailed on Carnival but got a great deal with lots of perks so we tried Norwegian. There were 9 of us. The only good thing was the embarkation (which was extremely smooth and quick). Cabins were small, ship was plain (even though it was only 4 years old), slow service and lines everywhere.

I sailed on the Epic about 2 yrs ago for a Med cruise....You had to reserve your nightly show reservations thru your cabin tv and they were days out to be able to see a show....They did have one of the best buffets and we only ate in the MDR one night....Carnival IMO is the best bang for the buck. The Epic did have the Ice Bar, cool touch, but again, I like Carnival

Just got back on Sunday from a 7 day cruise on Norwegian, we have only ever sailed on Carnival but got a great deal with lots of perks so we tried Norwegian. There were 9 of us. The only good thing was the embarkation (which was extremely smooth and quick). Cabins were small, ship was plain (even though it was only 4 years old), slow service and lines everywhere.

Sorry it didn't work for you but glad Carnival does. We're just the opposite. I'm going (DH isn't) on my second C Liberty (only 3 days) cruise, but we much prefer Norwegian (enough cruising to be platinum). I can agree that cabins are the newer ships are small--very small. My DH is also a Steelers fan forever (Penguins, too!).

Nexus 9 on Tapatalk Pro

We have gone on several cruises ourselves with various companies after this last trip on MSC Divina I decided I will just spend my dollars with Carnival so I can rank up quicker ... Looking forward to finally becoming Gold ... Been a few years but we used to only take carnival for small 3 day trips but now gonna do it for all trips

Sorry you didn't like NCL.

While CCL is our favorite, NCL is a close second.

They have a much better lunch and dinner buffet than any other cruise line I've ever been on and you do get dinner for two in one of their specialty restaurants, each cruise, once you turn platinum.

IMO, there are more similarities than differences between the two. Their crew is every bit as awesome as a CCL crew. And, their evening entertainment is just as bad as CCL's, unless you are on a newer NCL ship.

It almost always comes down to pricing.

I agree completely. We've been on 2 NCL and much prefer Carnival. The room we had was a closet, the beds were uncomfortable, the food was sometimes good, sometimes not. Their were multiple times they were supposed to have events and no crew member showed up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I am interested in this. We are very loyal CCL cruisers. (see my sig lol) We are Diamond now and treated like royalty. BUT we live 20 minutes from Manhattan cruise terminal and we like to cruise in winter or spring and CCL is pulling out of NY. We are not interested in late spring, summer or fall cruises (tho we are going on Sunshine in September for "old times sake.") Our DS and DIL cruise NCL just for the perks and because their 3 young children sail for free. A cruise is a cruise....so we were really thinking of booking NCL for next spring from NY. It would be a bit more expensive than CCL, but we would get the open bar and specialty dining offer. So if anyone can elaborate on the differences, or give me any advice, or a YEA or NAY, I would appreciate it. ;)

You sure you weren't on Carnival Vista or Sunshine?

Bill

I've been on a few Carnival ships were I could have said the same thing, Some Good ,some bad. But i didn't give up the line.

NCL has a great product ! Still it depends on a persons opinion , nothing more.

I just sailed the NCL Getaway for the second time and the ship is amazing with the ropes course (blows Carnival's away), 5 waterslides, rock climbing wall, bungee trampoline and spider web slide. Not to mention the free drinks and dining packages. Buffet was vast and very good, too. Even with the gratuity charge for the drink package, the cost was comparable to a newer Carnival ship.

I'm platinum on Carnival, but certainly not loyal to them and sail NCL and Royal as well. Diamond status on Carnival doesn't look to be that special, so I'm building up my status with other lines. IMO, the new build mega ships on NCL and Royal blow away anything Carnival has to offer, even Vista. Don't get me wrong, we sailed Vista and liked it, but there are simply more ships that are a better fit for us (we like mega ships with all the bells and whistles).

Sorry you didn't like Breakaway. The crowds were bad over spring break on Getaway, but that's to be expected. They nickel and dime on every ship- no need to spend anywhere if you don't want to.

Different tastes I guess.

Crazy decor of some Carnival ships was among other things that turned us off from cruising with CCL.

Bottlenecks were horrible on CCL liberty. I guess it depends on how badly ships are sold out.

I don't get the curved wall in the cabin on Norwegian. Lose a lot of space. Makes the sofa bed strange.

Do you have any pictures? Or a cabin # I could google? Therein lies the dilemma with NCL. I have read about the small cabins. I don't give a hoot as long as the cabin is clean and has a working bathroom and comfortable bed! But DH is a bit of a snob....we used to cruise in aft wrap balcony cabins (with the seperate rooms! :hearteyes:) suites, etc, then economics stepped in and we "downscaled." Actually had an inside on Pride (it was a $75/pp offer for a Journey's cruise so :eek::eek:) and DH hated it. I didn't care for it either but not enough to make me not cruise. So we have to have at least an OV and I am afraid DH will go nuts about the size of one on NCL. Does anyone have any opinions? We would be sailing out of NY, so that's the Breakway (??)

NCL'S inside cabins are small. Balcony cabins are not.

Even though I am Diamond on CCL, I have sailed the NCL Epic and the Breakaway, both twice. The studio cabin on NCL for solo is tiny, but the balcony was every bit as large as CCL's, but more modern. Shower on NCL is roomier than CCL's, beds were equally comfortable.

Entertainment on these 2 NCL ships simply blows CCl's away, and that includes the Vista. The specialty restaurants on NCL are numerous and varied. NCL's Cagney's is similar to Carnival's Steakhouse.

The only way to find out if you like another line is to try it out. NCL has some 10 and 14 day cruises out of NYC that for me were a great way to escape its winter. Celebrity is another line sailing from Bayonne that is worthy of consideration.

Even though I am Diamond on CCL, I have sailed the NCL Epic and the Breakaway, both twice. The studio cabin on NCL for solo is tiny, but the balcony was every bit as large as CCL's, but more modern. Shower on NCL is roomier than CCL's, beds were equally comfortable.

Entertainment on these 2 NCL ships simply blows CCl's away, and that includes the Vista. The specialty restaurants on NCL are numerous and varied. NCL's Cagney's is similar to Carnival's Steakhouse.

The only way to find out if you like another line is to try it out. NCL has some 10 and 14 day cruises out of NYC that for me were a great way to escape its winter. Celebrity is another line sailing from Bayonne that is worthy of consideration.

I guess it's all personal opinion....I found the Carnival shows and overall entertainment SO MUCH BETTER than the entertainment on NCL

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I went on the ncl Sun in 2015. Got the free alcohol perk. I think everyone else on the ship did too. Very hard go get drinks at times, especially on Lido. Lines at the bars are non stop. Bartenders had their backs turned from you as much as possible, obviously way overworked. Thats the downside to these promos, when everyone on the ship has it too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app