Poll on Specialty Restaurants

Iamthesea

Your experience?  

407 members have voted

1. 1. Your experience?

• No, have never dined in a SR's and don't plan to...waste of money.
    • No, have never dined in a SR, but do plan to on a future cruise.
    • Yes, but did not enjoy and do not plan to dine in SR's again.
    • Yes, and loved the experience. Plan on dining in SR's for future cruises.

We loved Ocean Liner on Connie, and both specialties on Equinox but were not impressed with either specialty on Silly. There needs to be another choice to vote: it depends on ship and whether or not the dinner is complimentary which all of ours have been due to being in a suite.

Can't add another option, but mainly curious about those that do or don't enjoy them altogether. Obviously, you have liked some and plan to book them again. However, you do bring up a good point. If someone has a bad experience the first time, they may not take another chance at paying to dine in one again.

So, if anyone out there did not like their experience in a SR, but DO plan on giving it a 2nd try, let us know.

Edited by Iamthesea

We loved Ocean Liner on Connie, and both specialties on Equinox but were not impressed with either specialty on Silly. There needs to be another choice to vote: it depends on ship and whether or not the dinner is complimentary which all of ours have been due to being in a suite.

We loved the specialties on the Equinox! Couldn't get much better, and we are very large northeast coast city foodies!!

We also do BLU, but look forward to trying one or two specialty each cruise...Tuscan and Silk Harvest are favs, Murano/Ocean liners, excellent but now we only go if we get an "offer", ALso like the lunch specials on sea days. Great idea.

Used to enjoy LCG but had a bad experience on Reflection (waiter messed up orders,tried to deny his error & maitre d took a very long time to sort it out and make amends) not sure we'd go back...it's a fun time but pricey and weather dependent...nothing new on menu.

we also do Bistro....at least once each cruise...

From our two Solstice sailings, we enjoyed Murano and Tuscan very much. The Asian dining location was more average during our second sailing. If we would be doing another sailing, the answer would be . . . "IT DEPENDS". Much of the variation is up in the air depending for what the pricing points and potential packages would be available at that time of our sailing. These locations do allow more flexibility in timing that with the main dining room where the early or late timing can be a little challenging at times.

This poll needs an added category for having done these experiences, liked it, but not totally certain depending on several other factors, including costs.

Below are a couple of my visuals from Murano and Tuscan for those who have not yet dined there. More on the full live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 198,953 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For dining in Tuscan Grille on the Solstice in January while sailing from Australia to New Zealand, we started with a nice glass of sparkling Italian wine (Prosecco Spumanti). Fun, especially as the glass kept being re-filled!! Our main course was Lobster Papardella Alfredo. But, the best is always saved for last . . . a nicely designed and super tasting of this Italian favorite, Tiramisu. I also had some Limoncello to top off the dining delights. Did we like it all? Absolutely!! Plus, we had lots wave action to see (and survive) from this great viewing position on the back of the ship with its big glass windows on the fifth floor of the Solstice. :

TuscanampBridge1_zps179efed3.jpg

TuscanampBridge14_zps6b5518d2.jpg

My wife and I ordered Châteaubriand for two at Murano. Here is it being prepared table-side. The second pictures shows how it looked on my plate with its fricassée of baby vegetables. There were the options of Béarnaise & Cabernet sauce. I had to be fair and could not choose between these two great options. Solution? How to decide? Have BOTH!! Great decision.:

MuranoDining12_zpsa0781883.jpg

MuranoDining13_zpsedee9985.jpg

For dessert, the choice was Grand Marnier soufflé. The sauce? Crème Anglaise á la Gousse Tahitienne.:

MuranoDining15_zpsb7294f7a.jpg

We very rarely book a SR but my DH has a soft spot for the Lawn Club Grill so I imagine we will be doing that in 2016. But our group is quite happy with the food in the MDR (Early Traditional) so no SR on the next 2 cruises.

We have always used the SR one or two times per cruise, except for the last one because we were Aqua for the first time and enjoyed Blu. Our next cruise, we will also be Aqua on the Summit and plan to go to the Normandie.

We sailed on the Reflection in Feb and ate in Murano, Qsine, Tuscan Grill, and the Lawn Grill. We have loved the SRs on Princess and HAL. Murano was good, but not great. Qsine was fun, but quirky. The service, food, and atmosphere in the Tuscan Grill was to be polite.... Bad. The lawn club was relaxed and fun. For the price, however, we really expect more from X compared to the other SRs we have dined in. At least on the Reflection, Celebrity has to step it up a notch. We have heard so many great things about the food on Celebrity. Maybe our experience was an anomaly? I'll be on the Connie later this year and will try Ocean Liners.

His name is Bujon, and he's one of the items listed on the dessert menu!

villauk: Wonderful photos' date=' Terry. Sorry, got a little distracted by the waiter - now he does look good enough to eat [/quote']

Yes, Bujon is his name and he is from Serbia!! Just checked my photo file with the enlargement tool to verify those details from his name ID badge. Good work/catch by BEAV. Appreciate the kind comments by villauk on the photos.

Very nice photo sharing by Pushka.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these recent updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 30,422 views for this posting.