Packing cosmetics

KARTI1955

Ok, I admit this is something I just cannot do in an organized manner. I have used makeup bags, ziplock bags, labelers- the whole nine yards but my beauty products always wind up a jumbled mess and I wind up taking stuff I never use. Any suggestions for good bags and or systems that don't take up too much suitcase space (always have to fly in and check a bag)

Thanks in advance!

First off figure out what you'll be using, how much will be used and when and where it will be used.

Organization is very personal. Maybe organize in bags by type- hair, cosmetics, night time, body, bathroom toiletries. I use several different bags, none alike, for ease of finding things quickly. Smaller pouches are easier to pack than one huge thing.

Check out ladylighttravel.com. She has a very good tutorial on packing 'just enough' lotions and potions.

I keep my makeup in clear cosmetic bags so I can find everything easily. I keep pencils and mascara in a small bag, lip colors in another, and everything else in a larger bag. When I travel I just put the small bag into the big bag, throw in a couple of lip colors, and go. If there is anything large in there I know I won't need I take it out and leave it at home.

With security what it is today, confine all your cosmetics or an approved airline plastic bag available at Amazon.

We watched before a flight two weeks ago where a security guard dumped 3 cosmetic bags from the woman in front of us. He left her with the legally allowed amount of small containers.

They have become much stricter and. Now watch that each passenger take only one allowed quart bag.

With security what it is today, confine all your cosmetics or an approved airline plastic bag available at Amazon.

We watched before a flight two weeks ago where a security guard dumped 3 cosmetic bags from the woman in front of us. He left her with the legally allowed amount of small containers.

They have become much stricter and. Now watch that each passenger take only one allowed quart bag.

Sounds like she had liquids in all those bags.

I keep my make-up in a small, 3 drawer Sterlite organizer (Wal-mart carries them)...I simple put a big elastic band around it for travel (to keep the drawers shut)..and everything I use at home is right there, just like at home. Of course, I pack that in checked bags for flights. I put my "must have" liquids in the zip lock for carryon, since I don't want to lose those things.

I, too, used to throw stuff into another bag for travel...big pain in the butt! This way, what I have at home, I have anywhere!

I also find it hard to stay organized and tend to bring EVERYTHING I own LOL. I have a few must have things in my 'liquids baggie' and a small makeup bag with me in my carryon (non-liquid).

I have something like this (from Target): http://www.target.com/p/soho-love-fest-cosmetic-box/-/A-16710257

hard to see but it has a double zipper - the top 'compartment' is completely separate from the bottom and has 'holders' for my brushes and a small zipper case for other stuff. Then there is a separate zipper for bottom part where I put most of my makeup... I like that it is flat and oval so when I open it I can see what's inside and don't have to scramble around inside to find anything!'

I now see they have a 'triple compartment' one on the target website as well - which I guess adds one more zippered compartment to the case adding to more 'serious' organization? :)

Edited by Froufie

I only take with the products that I know I'll be using. It all goes into a make up bag and I keep it in my carry on.

The liquids do need to be separated when going through security so I keep those in a small ziplock bag. As soon as I've cleared security I add them to my make up bag.

My mascara, blush and lipstick are all smaller sized versions for travel so they don't take up as much space.

For eyeshadow, I travel with a palette that has a mix of colors that can go from day to night.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have no problem packing clothing (oddly enough) but cosmetics and lotions, etc. make me nutty! I can stow the larger liquids in my checked bag so no TSA concerns there. I like the idea of the little drawers and I will check out the Target bag, it looks great too. :)

For longer trips when I check toiletries, I like the eBags pack it flat. I carry my non-liquid makeup on the plane. I don't want it broken and I don't want to replace it. I've never put lipgloss and mascara in my TSA bag either and never had an issue.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/pack-it-flat-toiletry-kit/54638?productid=10150318&sourceid=ADWPRODLU&couponid=94790994&gclid=CjwKEAjw-IOwBRD1wrTC27fSjFISJABUDZ171MwYU299AAHYMB5S-6Lb-yELCInntBKIQONcbfSujhoCy0bw_wcB

Edited by sr4mjc

I also find it hard to stay organized and tend to bring EVERYTHING I own LOL. I have a few must have things in my 'liquids baggie' and a small makeup bag with me in my carryon (non-liquid).

I have something like this (from Target): http://www.target.com/p/soho-love-fest-cosmetic-box/-/A-16710257

hard to see but it has a double zipper - the top 'compartment' is completely separate from the bottom and has 'holders' for my brushes and a small zipper case for other stuff. Then there is a separate zipper for bottom part where I put most of my makeup... I like that it is flat and oval so when I open it I can see what's inside and don't have to scramble around inside to find anything!'

I now see they have a 'triple compartment' one on the target website as well - which I guess adds one more zippered compartment to the case adding to more 'serious' organization? :)

Thanks, this is one of the more usable looking ones I've seen. Amazon also has them a bit cheaper, so I wishlisted.

The second one...the roll up one is what I use. I put my eye makeup in the top section. My lip stuff in the middle section, and my face products in the bottom section. It works great. It goes into my checked luggage. I also carry a very small cosmetic case in my purse or tote bag to hold the makeup I wear while traveling to the ship so I can touch up if need be.

Edited by mousey

I use the roll up makeupcases that unroll and can hang from a hook. I have one that zips up for each compartment so that nothing goes flying around. I also use my ipsy bags for foundation and other items that I want to keep separate from the rest of my make up due to either size or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I use mineral makeup and have sample size containers of everything I use that I refill as needed. I also refill sample size containers of eye cream, neck cream, etc. The creams go in the 311 bag. I have a hard sided container that I got years ago from a Clinique promotion that holds the mineral make up, brushes, eye shadow, etc. When I unpack I can spread some things out in the lid so everything is easy to find.

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I have been trying to find sample sizes of the products that I use the most. Got lucky at Ulta, they had a give away with IT cosmetics (which I love) that had a lot of samples - even mascara. I may have the makeup under control finally. I found a hard sided pencil box - of all things - that holds all of the makeup and brushes. Now I just have to figure out the body lotion. :confused:

I've been looking for this thread again. I got the multi compartment Soho bagged linked upthread. I like the layout a lot, but the zippers are cheap and "sticky". I want to keep the bag but it's irritating. Anyone know any tricks for this? WD 40? :)

I love my Vera Bradley hanging travel organizer (I think that's the name). It's fabulous for cruising or even hotel stays where counter space is limited. I just hang it on the back of the door or a towel rack and pull stuff out.

I tend to bring just the makeup basics-a primer, bb cream, mascara, a lip stain and a small shadow pallete.

I bring travel size of my face wash. I bought little 5ml pump bottles that are perfect for things that just use a couple dabs like eye serum and even moisturizer. They are even enough for a week of primer/BB cream for me as I only use very light coverage.

Angelakerry 5pcs 5ml Empty Airless Spray Bottle Cosmetic Pump Travel Plastic Atomizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0123DL9Q0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_FGZewbP4FBX2A

They make different sizes and I love these things! I stopped having to try to collect the right sample sizes and just make my own. You can fit a TON on these in a quart sized ziplock.

Lush shampoo bars are a weight/space saver and don't count towards liquid.

Edited by pixiestyx

I've been looking for this thread again. I got the multi compartment Soho bagged linked upthread. I like the layout a lot, but the zippers are cheap and "sticky". I want to keep the bag but it's irritating. Anyone know any tricks for this? WD 40? :)

Get a silicone pencil (like for filling a scratch in furniture)

Gee, I'm feeling odd. I never thought about organizing my makeup and toiletries.

My dop kit is just a single compartment, flat bottom (so it stands up by itself), zipper close bag that I think I got free with some makeup purchase.

I take a small travel toothbrush and sample size toothpaste, razor and travel size shaving cream, foundation for evening and tinted moisturizer for daytime, mascara, 2 lipsticks (one pinker, one more coral), a couple of eyeshadows, travel size deodorant. The biggest things are my contact lens solutions, partly because I use two different ones.

If we're going to a hotel, I plan to use their shampoo/conditioner/lotion.

On the month long vacation we're leaving on today, we're staying in apartments, so I'm bringing those things.

Never realized how low maintenance I am. LOL!