Explore4 and price drops

DaveOKC

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I would let someone know what happens price wise after Explore4 ends.

Well, my Feb., 7 day cruise has now dropped $500 per person (category SY) a few days after Explore4 ended! The cruise is still prior to final payment, so I can cancelled and rebook if I want to.

I figure it is pretty much a breakeven deal, as the $1000 price difference for the 2 of us would result in us losing $500 in OBC, Pinnacle and Caneletto diners and 7 days of "free drinks".

DaveOKC

I really can't picture ever drinking enough to make the Explore 4 worthwhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We feel the same way. Can't ever drink that much to justify keeping the Explore 4 and immediately took advantage of the price drop.

Terri

I had the Signature Beverage Package as part of a cruise I have booked. I called yesterday and asked if the cost of the SBP counted toward on board spending. The answer was that it didn't. I had my cruise rebooked without the SBP and the cost dropped by about the cost of the package.

I am close to another "star" and the cost of my drinks would go a long way to achieving that level. Without credit for that spending, I would not be able to advance after that cruise.

I had the Signature Beverage Package as part of a cruise I have booked. I called yesterday and asked if the cost of the SBP counted toward on board spending. The answer was that it didn't. I had my cruise rebooked without the SBP and the cost dropped by about the cost of the package.

I am close to another "star" and the cost of my drinks would go a long way to achieving that level. Without credit for that spending, I would not be able to advance after that cruise.

Smart! :D

We were looking at a cruise whose cost went up after it lost Explore 4. I'm not sure if this is a rare exception, or if the pricing computer is out to get us. (Personally betting on the latter. ;))

Either way, it pays to watch and compare fares. It also makes sense to have an idea of how much you normally spend on beverages. Because while the Signature Beverage Package has a nominal value of around $50 per day, each person's real world value will vary based on consumption.

It could be anywhere between zero and about $120, depending on thirst levels.

Edited by POA1

We were looking at a cruise whose cost went up after it lost Explore 4. I'm not sure if this is a rare exception, or if the pricing computer is out to get us. (Personally betting on the latter. ;))

Either way, it pays to watch and compare fares. It also makes sense to have an idea of how much you normally spend on beverages. Because while the Signature Beverage Package has a nominal value of around $50 per day, each person's real world value will vary based on consumption.

This is very true. We figure that the SBP has a value, to us, of $20/day/person, based on past cruises. And that is, we think, overestimating our beverage consumption.

Two thumbs up. That's the way to go. :)

It could be anywhere between zero and about $120, depending on thirst levels.

Also evaluate what you drink and be sure the price is $7 or under. What I drink in lounges is $7.95 each so the SBP wouldn't be usable.

obcs on Jan. cruise with X4 and I will probably max out my drink card every day and order some on my partners card. I usually order doubles so they can pour 2 and hit my card 2x.

You might want to check on this - I understand that this is not allowed, there is a 5 minute wait between drinks.

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I would let someone know what happens price wise after Explore4 ends.

Well, my Feb., 7 day cruise has now dropped $500 per person (category SY) a few days after Explore4 ended! The cruise is still prior to final payment, so I can cancelled and rebook if I want to.

I figure it is pretty much a breakeven deal, as the $1000 price difference for the 2 of us would result in us losing $500 in OBC, Pinnacle and Caneletto diners and 7 days of "free drinks".

DaveOKC

That what we found last year, that our fare was about 1,000 less without explore 4.

We always avoided beverage packages and felt the same way...we would never drink that much. However, just did 1 week cruise on Maasdam and we checked our bill. We are not big drinkers at all. I have a glass of wine with dinner and hubby the same. Some days we would go to the "happy hour"/buy 1 drink/get 2nd for $1. We bought a 3 bottle wine pkg and get a 25% discount. Some days I would get a coke in the afternoon. We did eat at Pinnacle. We checked our bill. Total $210 for drinks and @ $60 for Pinnacle I think. We are doing the Westerdam in January. Booked with Explore 4 pkg for $949 each. Price dropped this week to $849 so we are still sort of ahead of the game. However, I'm looking at the Explore 4 beverage card as a convenience. I'll try it. We used to love the "wine cards" a few years back. Won't have to make any wine package decisions and we can do some fancy coffees too. :)

We always avoided beverage packages and felt the same way...we would never drink that much. However, just did 1 week cruise on Maasdam and we checked our bill. We are not big drinkers at all. I have a glass of wine with dinner and hubby the same. Some days we would go to the "happy hour"/buy 1 drink/get 2nd for $1. We bought a 3 bottle wine pkg and get a 25% discount. Some days I would get a coke in the afternoon. We did eat at Pinnacle. We checked our bill. Total $210 for drinks and @ $60 for Pinnacle I think. We are doing the Westerdam in January. Booked with Explore 4 pkg for $949 each. Price dropped this week to $849 so we are still sort of ahead of the game. However, I'm looking at the Explore 4 beverage card as a convenience. I'll try it. We used to love the "wine cards" a few years back. Won't have to make any wine package decisions and we can do some fancy coffees too. :)

I don't think the wine packages are included in Explore 4. POA1 will confirm or dispute if I am wrong.

I don't think the wine packages are included in Explore 4. POA1 will confirm or dispute if I am wrong.

No, you can't get bottles of wine with the Signature Beverage Package, but you can get wine by the glass in lieu of a wine package.

Edited by POA1

I really can't picture ever drinking enough to make the Explore 4 worthwhile
We feel the same way. Can't ever drink that much to justify keeping the Explore 4 and immediately took advantage of the price drop.
I've been trying to work out what this might mean to us, because my initial reaction would have been the same. But when I added up the daily cost of a couple of fizzy drinks during the day, a cocktail before dinner, a bottle of fizzy water with dinner and then one or two after dinner drinks, it soon got to the $20 a day level that Alberta Quilter mentioned. But I don't think I could get to the $70 a day level implied by the OP's price drop!

Our original plan was to book an Alaska trip while sailing this December. When X4 was announced we decided to go ahead and book Alaska. At the end of the X4 promotion, the stateroom category we booked now shows "Sold Out." :eek: The sailing the week prior shows availability, but for $240 pp more than we paid. We're feeling rather lucky!! Our Mediterranean trip was booked prior to the X4 promo. Although we didn't request it, we received notice that they were adding it to our booking. :p There has been no price change, yet, but we'll keep watching.

DH and I have a cruise booked for January on the NA. Price dropped $160 pp without the X4. Neither of us drink alcohol but I figured I would try the "Drink of the Day" each day (probably not finish half of it), have a latte or two at the coffee shop and DH would probably have a daily smoothie. Easily decided to rebook without the package.

My girlfriend and I have a week booked on the Eurodam in March. The price dropped $250 pp without the package. I figured the drink of the day would be roughly $50 for the week and a couple of lattes per day would be another $60 or so. Definitely giving up the package.

Lastly, I booked two cabins for Thanksgiving next year on the Eurodam. The price has stayed exactly the same, so we're going to enjoy the package!