Star Princess Ghost Ship? April 29th ~ May14!

RetiredNTraveling

:eek:We recently booked a 15 Day Hawaiian cruise on the Star for April 29 ~ May 14. I keep watching the bookings to see if things are picking up, but the answer is "NO"! :rolleyes:

How often does Princess cancel a sailing date due to poor bookings? . :confused:

Just Mike

In my experience of over 20 Princess cruises, I have not had a cruise canceled due to a lack of bookings. What else would Princess do with the ship if it did not sail?

You'll probably start seeing some really awesome sale prices.:eek:

FYI! There are 83 mini-suites on Dolphin deck and 15 suites (mid and aft) not to mention more balcony rooms that I care to count! My wife stated that we should get the most fantastic service that anyone could get. ;)

Now I understand why the Roll Call is so slow, "There are many of us!" :eek: :D

This might just end up being one of the sweetest packages offered by Princess in a long time. For those of you wanting a cheap cruise to Hawaii check this one out!

Our TA stated that she didn't feel that they would cancel. She is of the same mind as you are!

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

We sailed on this last year, and it was a slow sell until they lowered the price at the end. I think a lot of people are waiting to see where the prices go. We live just outside Vancouver and will be going on this cruise, but I will see what they send us for a standby offer.

We sailed on this last year, and it was a slow sell until they lowered the price at the end. I think a lot of people are waiting to see where the prices go. We live just outside Vancouver and will be going on this cruise, but I will see what they send us for a standby offer.

My experience has been that years ago Princess had reasonable prices for those who booked very early & we'd hope for a price reduction which didn't often happen.

Now the cruises I check have higher prices when booking early & very few better deals (price/perks) before final payment. Now the cruises I check do not have lower prices until after final payment which is when I'm more likely to book a cruise.

CCL CEO Arnold Donald has been quoted on CC from last year's stockholders meeting that they are willing to sail under capacity instead of drastically reducing cruise fares. RCI's CEO (RCL, Celebrity, Azamara) just stated there will be no price reductions within 30 days of sailing (except on 3/4 day cruises) to not deminish their cruise lines status & to not upset passengers who paid more.

You can't tell how many GTY bookings there are, so you can't really tell how full the ship is.

Yes & also blocks of cabins being held by travel agencies for group bookings which are released & available for booking closer to sailing.

My experience has been that years ago Princess had reasonable prices for those who booked very early & we'd hope for a price reduction which didn't often happen.

Now the cruises I check have higher prices when booking early & very few better deals (price/perks) before final payment. Now the cruises I check do not have lower prices until after final payment which is when I'm more likely to book a cruise.

CCL CEO Arnold Donald has been quoted on CC from last year's stockholders meeting that they are willing to sail under capacity instead of drastically reducing cruise fares. RCI's CEO (RCL, Celebrity, Azamara) just stated there will be no price reductions within 30 days of sailing (except on 3/4 day cruises) to not deminish their cruise lines status & to not upset passengers who paid more.

Yes & also blocks of cabins being held by travel agencies for group bookings which are released & available for booking closer to sailing.

Additionally the new 2016 Princess pricing strategy is to offer more and more OBC to protect their published per diem pricing. Many main stream cruiselines have tried this pricing scheme before only to fold when the internal cost of sailing less than full ships becomes to much of a drain on their financials. Ships still sail with full crews who require passengers onboard who through tips compensate all their wages, so this is a risky strategy.

Princess tried this in 2012 going into the 2013 season only to see the prices collapse in march 2013 .. Lets see this time how long Princess continues this strategy before we see once again across the board prices start dropping inline with Celebrity and HAL current offerings

Srpilo

Last year we booked earlier and could have saved a significant amount of money if we waited. I wasn't worried because I really wanted to go. This year, if the price does not drop, and we do not go - oh well. It is a nice cruise, but something else will always come up. I think they would be better off having one of the two cruises out of Vancouver to Hawaii become a cruise to Mexico. The Hawaii cruise on Apr. 4 still has a lot of cabins left as well. I would be very interested in a cruise to Mexico and back from Vancouver. Taking a plane to LA and San Francisco is such a hassle.

In my experience of over 20 Princess cruises, I have not had a cruise canceled due to a lack of bookings. What else would Princess do with the ship if it did not sail?

I have to go back pretty far but in 2002 or 2003 (after 9-11), Princess had 2 ships sailing the Med in Europe. They cancelled one ship and re-accomodated everyone on the sister Grand class ship and brought the ship to the Caribbean that summer instead. So while not the same thing - they have done odd things. And they did this with plenty of notice.

RetiredNTravling - your ship will sail! Enjoy your cruise!

Additionally the new 2016 Princess pricing strategy is to offer more and more OBC to protect their published per diem pricing. Many main stream cruiselines have tried this pricing scheme before only to fold when the internal cost of sailing less than full ships becomes to much of a drain on their financials. Ships still sail with full crews who require passengers onboard who through tips compensate all their wages, so this is a risky strategy.

Princess tried this in 2012 going into the 2013 season only to see the prices collapse in march 2013 .. Lets see this time how long Princess continues this strategy before we see once again across the board prices start dropping inline with Celebrity and HAL current offerings

Srpilo

Absolutely! Too often they increase the cruise fare & then maybe offset some of that increase by giving "free" OBC or perks. So we're paying more for our cruise & then possibly spending the "free" OBC on things we would not otherwise purchase.

Let's face it, not many things are truly "free" & instead are ways to generate additional income for all cruise lines as they strive to be profitable.

Soft Sailings do happen for whatever reason.

After Final Payment , Princess will insure a full ship with promo's and FLASH rates . Many sit on the fence to book until Final passes . 60-30days before sailing you will see the New Booking Only "Guarantees" available.

Won't be many Ghosts I'm quite sure.

Soft Sailings do happen for whatever reason.

After Final Payment , Princess will insure a full ship with promo's and FLASH rates . Many sit on the fence to book until Final passes . 60-30days before sailing you will see the New Booking Only "Guarantees" available.

Won't be many Ghosts I'm quite sure.

Oh now don't be too sure about "No Ghosts"!

Just Mike

Thanks to Val & Bob (Valbob89) for the Halloween Ghost Ship picture!

713423570_Haunting2.jpg.ffba5bc54c3f4e61016ed37a2ee60249.jpg