taxi.... rip off

spearmint

Has anyone else been ripped off? This is a first for us. The taxi in question was one of several basically white with a wide blue stripe on the sides, ours being a Crown Victoria.

On the conclusion of our first Princess cruise last April, we took a taxi, from the ranks outside the terminal, to the Hilton Marina, which hotel is really close to Port Everglades. After loading the luggage into the trunk, and us into the car, the driver informed us that the cost would be $10, so I agreed although I thought it odd. We were already loaded into the vehicle, it was the first in a line of similar cabs and I figured that the driver was (correctly) counting on us not to get us and our luggage out of the cab and take the next one. Upon arrival at the hotel, the meter read a little over $5. I tip, but not that much.

Related question: How much is a normal tip for a cab? I have never known. For everything else, one tips !0-15%. Even at 20%, the guy only deserved a bit over a buck.

We are back on Regal next week, and now wonder if it is going to happen again. Is this cab company noted for overcharging the meter?

Bill

Edited by spearmint

Has anyone else been ripped off? This is a first for us. The taxi in question was one of several basically white with a wide blue stripe on the sides, ours being a Crown Victoria.

On the conclusion of our first Princess cruise last April, we took a taxi, from the ranks outside the terminal, to the Hilton Marina, which hotel is really close to Port Everglades. After loading the luggage into the trunk, and us into the car, the driver informed us that the cost would be $10, so I agreed although I thought it odd. We were already loaded into the vehicle, it was the first in a line of similar cabs and I figured that the driver was (correctly) counting on us not to get ous and our luggage out of the cab and take the next one. Upon arrival at the hotel, the meter read a little over $5. I tip, but not that much.

Related question: How much is a normal tip for a cab? I have never known. For everything else, one tips !0-15%. Even at 20%, the guy only deserved a bit over a buck.

We are back on Regal next week, and now wonder if it is going to happen again. Is this cab company noted for overcharging the meter?

Bill

I have been in many cabs to and from Port Everglades....and most (if not all) have a sign in the back that states that any fare to or from PE has a minimum charge of $10.

I don't have a problem with charges like that for a short trip and i'll often offer it when getting the cab. The poor taxi driver may have been queued there for an hour or more hoping to get a decent fare - say to Miami airport - to make the wait worthwhile. A $5 fare just doesn't cut it for them. And having just spent a few thousand on my cruise and related expenses - a $10 cab fare is insignificant in the scheme of things :)

Edited by Ando

The taxi you describe is a standard licensed Ft. Lauderdale cab. Minimum fare is $10. Fares to most of the Hotels on SE 17th St. including the Hilton Marina, are within the Min. Fare range. Don't believe that$10 ($5/pp) is unreasonable or a 'rip-off.' FYI metered fares to the airport are around $15 to $20.

If the fare was around $15 to $17 I would give the driver a $20 and call it even. For a $10 fare I would give a few dollars. I don't figure by percentage, just round up to what I feel is the right amount. If your ship docks at pier 2 you can fairly easily walk, wheeling your luggage, to the Hilton Marina or the Renaissance, weather permitting.

Edited by sknight

I remember seeing the same sign about the minimum charge in cabs. We usually walk from the pier if we're staying at one of the nearby hotels.

The only time we were ripped off was when a driver did not follow my directions in getting to our hotel after a cruise. He went a couple of miles past it, in spite of my telling him he should have turned, and then finally turned around. I made a note of the fare on the meter at the point he should have turned and paid him that amount. He did not argue.

I remember seeing the same sign about the minimum charge in cabs. We usually walk from the pier if we're staying at one of the nearby hotels.

The only time we were ripped off was when a driver did not follow my directions in getting to our hotel after a cruise. He went a couple of miles past it, in spite of my telling him he should have turned, and then finally turned around. I made a note of the fare on the meter at the point he should have turned and paid him that amount. He did not argue.

We walk as well.

However as stated there is a minimum charge.

We had the same situation coming from FLL to the Renaissance. Having been in Ft Lauderdale many times.......the driver took the long route and the fare was close to $25. I advised using his name on his herdic license that I was not paying the extra fare. I ended up giving him $15. :mad:

When we got off the Coral a few weeks ago, we got a cab to Hyatt off 17th for one night post. I was watching the meter as it ticked close to $7., but then noticed the sticker on the side window about minimum rates to/from FLL and PE. Personally, the drivers should have some type of notice adjacent to the running meter to alleviate anyone from thinking they were getting ripped off. Having a meter run, but charging an alternate amount does make one question the honesty of some drivers. Yes, I've been ripped off by some unethical drivers - being told the fee is pp not per ride, plus some undocumented service charges.

Ten dollars, plus tip is not unreasonable in lieu of hauling luggage in 85 degree heat.

Darcy

We will be going from the Embassy Suites on 17th to the pier on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure they have a shuttle. Does it cost anything? I thought I saw on their web site that it's $9. Is that per person? Might be cheaper to take a taxi.

We will be going from the Embassy Suites on 17th to the pier on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure they have a shuttle. Does it cost anything? I thought I saw on their web site that it's $9. Is that per person? Might be cheaper to take a taxi.

While a shuttle might be convenient, it is usually cheaper to take a cab, and you go when you want and not according to shuttle schedule. Also, they might drop passengers off at other ships first.

While a shuttle might be convenient, it is usually cheaper to take a cab, and you go when you want and not according to shuttle schedule. Also, they might drop passengers off at other ships first.

We are the only ship in port that day.

Take the cab and pay the poor guy and give him a tip. Cheaper than NY and cheaper than being robbed at gunpoint and better than a walk in the Heat and Humidity. It's a fair price considering he has his own equipment leased to the co and gets a % of what they make.

Not to intrude on this thread but which hotels are reasonably within walking distance to terminal 2? Thank you!

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Forums mobile app

The closest are the Renaissance, the Holiday Inn Express and the Hilton Marina. On this map of the port (https://res-1.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf) the Renaissance is on the north side of the intersection of 17th Street and Eisenhower Blvd, the Holiday Inn Express is on the south side of 17th Street between icons 1 and 2 and the Hilton Marina is at the 17th Street bridge under the binoculars icon. You can use google maps to check out the locations of other hotels along 17th Street, just search on hotels near Port Everglades.

Shuttle prices are per person. A couple staying in a 17th Street area hotel (like the Embassy Suites) will usually do better with a cab or Uber (a group of 3 or more will definitely do better). Plus you get to chose your own departure time and don't make stops at other terminals.

Not to intrude on this thread but which hotels are reasonably within walking distance to terminal 2? Thank you!

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Forums mobile app

If Princess is using Pier #2 or #4 then the Renaissance and Hilton Marina (both on 17th St) are right across 17th street from those piers.

The Embassy Suites/Hyatt Place/Extended Stay/Holiday Inn are 2 or 3 long blocks further but still very walkable if one can handle their own luggage with the Hyatt Place being the furthest out of those mentioned.

If Princess is at any other outlaying piers its not possible to walk.

Paying $10. for a cab ride to our FLL hotel instead of a metered $6-$7 is the absolute least of our worries.

Life must be wonderful if this is such a big issue. Why sweat the small stuff.....and this does not even make it on the radar screen!

Edited by iancal

Paying $10. for a cab ride to our FLL hotel instead of a metered $6-$7 is the absolute least of our worries.

Life must be wonderful if this is such a big issue. Why sweat the small stuff.....and this does not even make it on the radar screen!

I agree

Let me get this straight--Some of you who have spent thousands on a cruise are upset about a $10 taxi ride and are even willing to schlep luggage blocks and blocks in jungle heat and humidity? Really????? :eek::rolleyes:

We walk as well.

However as stated there is a minimum charge.

We had the same situation coming from FLL to the Renaissance. Having been in Ft Lauderdale many times.......the driver took the long route and the fare was close to $25. I advised using his name on his herdic license that I was not paying the extra fare. I ended up giving him $15. :mad:

Is this the Renaissance that is right across the street, or one that is farther? I wouldn't have given more than the $10 if it was the close one.

For those of you who say you walk to the Renaissance, do you go along Eisenhower Blvd. or take the sidewalk on the water side? I was trying to use google maps to see where things go, but it is difficult to know the best route.

We are staying at the Renaissance. We will be on the Island, but the Royal Princess will also be in port. Obviously if we are at terminal 21 or whatever it is, we will be taking a taxi, but from 1 or 4, I'm thinking walking is a good option unless I take too much luggage.

Thoughts?

On the conclusion of our first Princess cruise last April, we took a taxi, from the ranks outside the terminal, to the Hilton Marina, which hotel is really close to Port Everglades. After loading the luggage into the trunk, and us into the car, the driver informed us that the cost would be $10, so I agreed although I thought it odd. We were already loaded into the vehicle, it was the first in a line of similar cabs and I figured that the driver was (correctly) counting on us not to get us and our luggage out of the cab and take the next one. Upon arrival at the hotel, the meter read a little over $5. I tip, but not that much.

Bill

LIke others have said, a short trip, $10 is reasonable... don't think you were ripped off at all.

We had a difference experience going to the ship, from the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale.... taxi driver went wrong way, pulling into the area near the ship, ground staff force him to go around again; when that happen my dh and I,told the driver don't worry about it we will take care of you, thinking the taxi driver would be okay. When he went around again, he did not drop us off where he should have, he dropped us some distance from the luggage drop... my dh is 83 and I am 70; we had significant luggage on a TA .... I felt the driver was a jerk.. Luckily this was the first time this happened.

chrysalis: I must not be very observant! :eek: Have been taking cabs to PE for over ten years and have never known that there is a minimum charge. Now,I know and will look for the signage. I rarely take taxis other than Fort Lauderdale. Thanks for the explanation.

For those of you who don't mind being overcharged, no matter what the amount, that's fine. All that "poor" overworked cabbie had to do was point out the signage, and I would never have given it a second thought, no matter what the meter read. Instead, saying "that will be $10" threw me off completely as that was a first, and therefore, an oddity.

Edited by spearmint

Is this the Renaissance that is right across the street, or one that is farther? I wouldn't have given more than the $10 if it was the close one.

Its the one across the street at 17th/Eisenhower.

For those of you who say you walk to the Renaissance, do you go along Eisenhower Blvd. or take the sidewalk on the water side? I was trying to use google maps to see where things go, but it is difficult to know the best route.

We cross at the light by Walgreens then walk on the pier side of Eisenhower to the entrance.

We are staying at the Renaissance. We will be on the Island, but the Royal Princess will also be in port. Obviously if we are at terminal 21 or whatever it is, we will be taking a taxi, but from 1 or 4, I'm thinking walking is a good option unless I take too much luggage.

Thoughts?

I agree it makes it a lot easier to walk if you can handle the luggage.

Last time we walked they were loading up the shuttle from the Renaissance and we beat the shuttle to the pier.