When did you last...

NolaFireLI

Stop and ask your Cabin Steward if they needed anything while in port??

I say this because I have gained MANY tidbits of knowledge on these very boards and I read a review some time ago about how a fellow cruiser asked his cabin steward this very question...

Now, that I have come back from my cruise and was given a glorious smile and told "No, thank you." by my cabin steward, I ask you this question... When was the last time you stopped and just asked - it doesn't hurt to ask, and you too can get a smile on your face knowing you brightened someone else's day!

Happy Cruising everyone! :cool:

On our last cruise we had a port stop in a town that had a Costco. Many of the crew had time off and it seemed that they all headed off to Costco. What did they buy? Lots of pots and pan sets, lots of huge sized munchies, a couple of laptops, and one Weedeater!:confused:

So no, never thought of asking. And after our last cruise - will never ask!

As my lawyer friends like to say, "Never ask a question you don't already know the answer too.":D

We always ask. Have brought back nuts (I guess they don't have them for the crew on the ship and that's what our cabin steward wanted) another asked for chocolate. When I was on the Radiance in Alaska someone brought back a particular brand of diet soda the diamond concierge asked for. She was so happy :)

Ive asked and was told thank you but no

^ This, exactly. I can't believe a cabin steward would actually ask a passenger to get them something in port. The crew and staff do get time off; our cabin steward last week was able to go into port every day except our short 1/2 day in Aruba.

To answer the question, we did several cruises ago. He said to us, "The only thing I want is for you to come back safe and sound." Nice. :)

I may be missing something here?

When was the last time I asked my cabin steward if I can run any errands for them?

Should I make my own bed as well?

Yes, I'm defiantly missing something here.

Thank you NolaFireLI, that is a great idea we will definatly ask in the future. :)

Stop and ask your Cabin Steward if they needed anything while in port??

I say this because I have gained MANY tidbits of knowledge on these very boards and I read a review some time ago about how a fellow cruiser asked his cabin steward this very question...

Now, that I have come back from my cruise and was given a glorious smile and told "No, thank you." by my cabin steward, I ask you this question... When was the last time you stopped and just asked - it doesn't hurt to ask, and you too can get a smile on your face knowing you brightened someone else's day!

Happy Cruising everyone! :cool:

I agree...why would I run errands for someone else? People don't come to my work and ask me if they can go run errands for me. They get to go into port, let them shop on their own time. I definitely didn't pay thousands of dollars to be someone's errand boy :what:

I may be missing something here?

When was the last time I asked my cabin steward if I can run any errands for them?

Should I make my own bed as well?

Yes, I'm defiantly missing something here.

Perhaps compassion???

Thank you Phoenix1181!!

Some people get it :rolleyes:

I have to admit that it never occurred to me to ask the cabin attendant, or any land hotel staff if I can get them anything when I am out and about. I guess it seems like a nice gesture but have any of you who offer been asked to get anything that was out of the way? What about if you offered and then did not get the items(s). I ask because there are many times that we have plans, are pressed for time and never stop in any store. Seems once an offer is made, you are now obligated to get the items. I can't see myself going from store to store to locate some particular brand of candy.

Do most who offer seem to get a response of " Thank you - I don't need anything" and maybe that is the standard acceptable response, or are you really asked to get something?

an eye opening thread.

Thanks all

I figure cabin stewards have friends among the crew who run errands for each other on port calls.

My policy is to tip generously and keep our cabin as clean and neat as possible to ease the steward's work load a bit. I also praise highly the effort they are making and let them know I appreciate their work.

Beyond those things, I don't want to get on a more personal basis with them anymore than I would for land-based wait staff in restaurants or room cleaners in hotels.

We always ask if there is anything we can bring back for our steward(s). They rarely say yes but always appreciate the gesture.

We once had a crew friend who smoked a particular brand of cigarette that was hard to find in the islands. Seeing we were friends and we asked, he mentioned if we happened to notice that brand, would we pick some up for him. We did come across some and we did bring them to him. He was most appreciative and we were happy to have been able to do a small favor for him. There was a certain irony it was cigarettes knowing my preference to avoid being near them. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Never. This did make me try and remember the last time my cabin

steward asked me if I needed anything or if I had any preferences ?

I can't remember the last time but I do remember they used to.

I can't remember the last time our steward(s) did Not ask if we needed something or had any preferences. :confused: They always do.