to color or not to color....

sherilyn70

Hmmmm, I'm stuck in a quandary now. I just decided to book a cruise for January 25th. I had been planning on letting my hair grow out all pure white since my current cancer meds cause it and I have no plans to go off of it anytime soon. However I'm not sure if I want pictures of me from the cruise with my hair in this stage of the transition, lol.

It's the not most flattering picture since I wasn't wearing any makeup... but this is how much of the roots are white now.

cancer_zps1ab3ea53.jpg

*edited with a slightly better picture*

Edited by sherilyn70

I am growing out my hair and I can certainly relate to the bi colour hair situation .... I personally am leaving mine as is but I have had friends go the other way and dye their hair colour as white as they can go to ease the transition ... My hair is very dark and half way down my back so I am wearing it up in a pony until enough of it comes in to cut off to a reasonable long length ... but I say embrace it and with the right attitude all is possible :)

As stated above, It's all in your attitude.

You got choices- Leave it the way it is, color it (red or white) or cut the red out and go super short. Of course the last choice is not to take pictures on the cruise.:p;)

To keep the white looking good you need to use a bluing shampoo every so often. Just be careful of the Blue-Haired lady look.

I've been using Joico Endure Violet about twice a week.

I would cut a cancer patient more slack with their hair than to call their look tacky. Hair issues during chemo and radiation can be quite a challenge.

Thank you. I'm shocked that someone would call it tacky. I'm sure some said that when I went bald and didn't hide it too. I actually do get compliments on it. I tell them my insurance pays $8,000 a month to give me that look. :p.

The white growth is what has come in since my cruise in June. I've been debating cutting it a bit shorter into a pixie cut. I'm not sure how much color that will end up leaving in it. I just know I don't want to have do dye my hair every month because the white roots will be a never ending battle. I don't have the energy for that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

According to my beauty operator, there is something called a "reverse frost" ( brown instead of blond) which makes those who have decided to let their hair get gray do it so it seems it is doing it naturally without any sharp lines from where they had been dying their hair.

I had commented to her on what a great job she had done on a woman who was leaving as I was coming so she explained what she had done to me.

I'd never heard about the "reverse frost" and thought it was interesting.

LuLu

I love the white, but if you want to ease the transition do a lowlight. That's what I did & then cut quite short the transition was a lot less painful than the treatment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Transition is always hard however yours looks fine. Now a days you see all types of cuts and colors. The bottom line is how you think and feel about it. Don't worry about others go have a blast.

However if you are worried just wear a hat or baseball cap. Life is to short (lol) to worry about it and if anyway if someone says anything use your 8000 a month comment that's priceless. Chemo is so costly.

I would do a pixie! Both gray and pixies are in right now so take advantage of it! Here is a link (I hope it works) she had her long hair cut super short and it is so cute! Find a good stylist and go for it!

http://themakeoverguy.com/2012/09/dramatic-long-hair-cut-short-makeover-by-christopher-hopkins-the-makeover-guy/

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that you are going through this. If cancer isn't traumatic enough, I think that losing your hair or hair color can be devastating. Doing whatever you want to do is empowering. If you cut it and it seems too short, you can always change it up with a cute wig (or 2). Just get better and feel better.:)

Thank you for all of the positive feedback so far. It really is just hair so it hasn't been to traumatizing for me. I found I looked good with a shaved had and I've liked it at all the lengths I've had now. The white is just now starting to over power the red though so it's time to do something.

Here are the bald look and then a pic from January when it first started coming back in but before the color turned white. Then there is the color in June to hide the roots.

0c549f824faf1a6a08c2e7074a51465a.jpg

35958840ae32ecc81cfe15c57d15d646.jpg

6dfabca1f5a9161c3e28465db9d0b578.jpg

Edited by sherilyn70

You have a lovely face & smile. I think short pixie suits your facial structure and I think white just adds light & looks great. One of my close friends just finished her last chemo. Neither of us expected how great she would look grey but she just sparkles. She has hers in a short punk pixie. She has a little rocker chick look now. She acts more bubbly now too. Change happens, she is rocking her new look which she never would have tried before!!! Now she is loving it. That said, if you don't love it, whenever the dye is ok again, you can change it. If you keep to a shorter cut, roots wont show for long.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

That reminds me...my nephew used to spike his hair and use colored gels...when I took him to D.C. he did red, white, and blue. So you can use colored gels to get color when you want it, and it washes out.

Edited by royalcruz

You have a perfect shaped head...

I agree with others and I would go with a shorter pixie that you could also spike. I just got my hair cut short and I think shorter hair looks great with headbands and wraps. I would do an all over platinum color, that way any grow out wouldn't be that noticeable.

I love the red, but it requires more up keep.

Whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should go for.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Hi

I'm so sorry you're going through this.........I lost all my hair during chemo and it grew back like corkscrews.....

It's how you feel about it (and yourself) that matters.........I know for me, I just wanted straight hair.....went to a great hairdresser who worked wonders............I actually cried when she'd finished.........

If you're happy & comfortable with the colour, then just get your hair styled.......I agree a pixie cut would look great on you....and the colour would blend in....if you'd feel more comfortable, have it streaked, that way it blends in......

Basically, whatever makes you happy!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your treatment.....

Thank you for all of the positive feedback so far. It really is just hair so it hasn't been to traumatizing for me. I found I looked good with a shaved had and I've liked it at all the lengths I've had now. The white is just now starting to over power the red though so it's time to do something.

Here are the bald look and then a pic from January when it first started coming back in but before the color turned white. Then there is the color in June to hide the roots.

]

I love your cut/style in the last photo... & I like the white hair look on you, so my vote is, don't color, but cut/style like #3

Best wishes :)

I think the white and red actually looks pretty cool! Some people really don't pull that off (I'm looking at you, gentleman at my church who is trying to grow out his grey but still wears his old, black toupee!). But yours looks like you did the tips that way on purpose, and it's cool. I also think the all-white pixie would be stunning. I think you can't lose either way!