Be Very Careful!

amberben

Having just returned from a recent cruise with our freinds to Heathrow from Miami they found there suitcases had been raided.! Goods were stolen from them.! Gifts for the family as well as some of thier own goods.

The items had been removed from boxes and boxes, ribbon left behind.!

The only people who could have stolen these items was at either Miami airport Luggage Lockers...Miami airport...or Heathrow, Which seems unlikely as the cases came through no later than anyone elses.

Please do not leave anything of value in your luggage as the insurance company do not pay out for any of the items stolen as they say ' The cases where left in an unsecure place.'

Edited by amberben

Did they do self disembarkation, or could this have happened either at the port or after their suitcases were picked up on the ship? Sadly I have seen some reports here of suitcases being raided after they were put out in the hall on the last night.

I've used the same ID and password to enter my account for years but today they no longer work. Password says I need it to be 7 figures long, never has been before. I can't believe they would change the rules without notifiying anyone or this could be another website glitch.

The site also has us w/ transfers on a future cruise with some crazy pick up in Miami when we won't be any where near Miami.

J.

Back on topic, one of our four cases was opened by US TSA on the way home from Miami on our latest cruise. There was a notice inside the case saying that this had happened. Although we used expensive TSA approved locks on all our cases, they had cut the lock off.

I know exactly how I pack my cases and it definitely had no more than a cursory search, if that. Absolutely nothing was disturbed but it left our case completely unsecured for the rest of the journey home.

To add insult to injury, the leaflet inside the case referred us to their website for advice on how to secure our luggage in the future. The advice - to use a lock exactly like the one they had cut off!

The moral of the story is to never put any valuables in your case.

Having just returned from a recent cruise with our freinds to Heathrow from Miami they found there suitcases had been raided.! Goods were stolen from them.! Gifts for the family as well as some of thier own goods.

The only people who could have stolen these items was at either Miami airport Luggage Lockers...Miami airport...or Heathrow, Which seems unlikely as the cases came through no later than anyone elses.

Please do not leave anything of value in your luggage as the insurance company do not pay out for any of the items stolen as they say ' The cases where left in an unsecure place.'

Hello Hun,

I know that was tragic, I was shocked when they told me. I am sure that the bags were raided in Miami and not heathrow, as they have no time at the LHR and the bags are screed at Maimi so they can see whats inside, makes it so easy for them to spot "hot" bags as it were. Its such a shame that the insurance companies take no responsibility as the bags are handed to "Security" after check in at the airport. I for one will now take advantange of the bag wrapping service that is avail at Miami.

Many thanks all,

This is just disgusting and yes Kamel I think I may do the same things next time.

Why do we pay our insurances? If they will not pay up...makes my blood boil..They take your money and never give it back.. And to say the cases are left in an unsecure place????? What at the airport???? in there secure areas?

To make matters worse Miami airport just wasnt interested and said they couldnt do anything.?

Just hope it doenst happen to anyone else. ..But form what your have said it has and will do in futher.! JUst dont let it happen to you!

Good advise, we try to avoid leaving valuables in our luggage.

One note, when we visited China our Vantage Program Manager advised us to put the small locks on our luggage. He even provided them for us. Within China, you can lock your luggage with the small inexpensive locks. It worked, it appeared we had no one into our luggage.

I have been robbed at MIA more than once.

We now just do carryon, but that still isn't enough for me to catch a security associate try to grab my wallet off the tray. I stopped him (he was reaching into the front end) and her took off. The people running the check point all took it in stride and saw nothing... in on it I'm sure... I am not making this up.

Miami has been featured on several news magazine shows over the years as the most crime ridden airport in North America.

Edited by A Sixth?

We have not used our TSA approved locks for several years. We are headed out of Port of Miami but flying in and out of FLL. After seeing this I do believe I will find those locks and use them just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amberben

We had exactly the same happen to us this autumn returning from a cruise with the same results. We now have an expensive suitcase with a broken lock! This is the first time in at least 20 trips that this has happened. As a matter of interest - we were flying 1st on BA (airmiles!) and the case was labeled first but it was still opened - so they don't discriminate!

We are seriously considering not including the U.S. in our future travel plans - it took 3.5 hours last year on the Celebrity Eclipse to go through immigration - you are not made to feel welcome!

However having seen some of the non EU national queues at at Heathrow - I don't think it's any easier here!

Such a shame!

Those little TSA locks are okay...but they are little more than a mild deterrent...

When we traveled to China this past summer, we were advised to buy these...

We were using 30" Hybrid Rolling Duffels, so I bought about 4 or 5 for each case since they need to be attached to all of the zippers on the separate compartments...

I was laughing as I attached them...

All one would have to do to bypass the locks completely would be to pull the zipper handle off one of the zipper closers...The locks are weak, but there are weaker links in the system...

But, what it really does is that, if a thief wants to steal from someone's luggage, they have lots of choices and little time...so, they might as well go to the ones that DON'T have the little locks...that much easier...

I also used to tell people to buy CHEAP luggage...or use old ratty luggage...

People who buy those expensive name brand suitcases are just identifying themselves as targets...Thieves don't waste their time with my cheap, worn luggage...They figure what's inside can't be all that valuable either...

+1 on the cheap luggage for the reasons you state plus of the beating they all take. I even avoid the wheels on a swivel as they break off easier.

Those little TSA locks are okay...but they are little more than a mild deterrent...

When we traveled to China this past summer, we were advised to buy these...

We were using 30" Hybrid Rolling Duffels, so I bought about 4 or 5 for each case since they need to be attached to all of the zippers on the separate compartments...

I was laughing as I attached them...

All one would have to do to bypass the locks completely would be to pull the zipper handle off one of the zipper closers...The locks are weak, but there are weaker links in the system...

But, what it really does is that, if a thief wants to steal from someone's luggage, they have lots of choices and little time...so, they might as well go to the ones that DON'T have the little locks...that much easier...

I also used to tell people to buy CHEAP luggage...or use old ratty luggage...

People who buy those expensive name brand suitcases are just identifying themselves as targets...Thieves don't waste their time with my cheap, worn luggage...They figure what's inside can't be all that valuable either...

When we flew out of MIA to Ecuador last year, I noticed how many people paid to have their bags wrapped in plastic. I had never seen bags wrapped up like that before except for suitcases with broken zippers. Of course, there is a disclaimer that says that the bags may still be opened for security purposes, but I'm sure it's a deterrent.

MIA is probably my least favorite airport in the USA for many reasons. I don't think I've ever flown in or out that I didn't have some kind of problem.

I always use TSA locks, but they are almost a joke. I can't tell you how many locks my friends and I have had removed. I honestly think some of the airline people just steal the locks.

I always feel bad when I hear of visitors to our country who are victimized or treated poorly. I'm sorry, amberben, that your friends had their gifts stolen. Not the type of memory we want people to have of our country. Unfortunately there are some bad people in this world, and we have our share of them.

Unfortunately, the US TSA has had many issues with theft, so it could be that it was lifted during the security screening after the bags were checked. I'm so sorry that this happened to your friends

The TSA mess has been cleaned up for year. An easy way to deter anyone is to simply put a zip tie on your bag. If TSA needs to clip for inspection they will and they will re-zip.

I just don't pack anything in my bag I'm not 100% willing to loose.

If you don't have a lock and have a fabric suitcase or backpack you can use large safety pins to secure the zippers. They take some time to undo and will often deter would be thieves. I always use them on my backpack when I travel because you can't see what is going on behind you.

I have watched them wrap what looks like plastic wrap all over the bag. My question is: how do you get that mess off the bag when you get to destination or hotel for layover? If it is anything like the rolls of plastic wrap, I can not imagine anything I would less like to have to deal with after a flight. You can not carry knife on plane so what would you cut with? Another load for the landfill also. I agree that theft is a horrible feeling -- we had one in our party loose a bag to a "run-by" thief in a rail station in Antwerp. One distracted while another came from nowhere and grabbed 3 rolling carry-ons. AND THAT IS WHERE MOST FOLKS try to secure their "electronics and good stuff". Police were aware of the gang but just had not been able to catch them.

Anywhere and anyplace there are thieves. I have had theft more often in home area (shopping/car/and work locker) than when traveling. All makes you miserable and sad:(.

Thanks for the large safety pin idea. I will buy some to use for hubby's packpack. Also I am curious about the zipties. Do you mean they are the same thing as cable ties? We had our luggage pulled for security screening in Chicago and our TSA locks were intact when we arrived in Toronto. However, I can see that cable ties would be effective and much less expensive.

Were the bags locked? We use KEYED locks..not the TSA things! Bags not in your hand should always be locked. I know they can still be gotten into, but with all the bags that aren't locked, stands to reason a thief will go for the easier target.