Escargot Report

Hopefully they'll be available on my cruise so I can understand all the hype about them.

Snails are among the cheapest foods and easiest to cook so I really don't understand why everybody on CC is so excited about them :confused:

Hopefully they'll be available on my cruise so I can understand all the hype about them.

Snails are among the cheapest foods and easiest to cook so I really don't understand why everybody on CC is so excited about them :confused:

At least where I am, snails are rather expensive foods. And once, I found real live snails, and they were the hardest things to clean and remove from their shells. I also found that Wegmans has frozen escargot with herb butter at a reasonable price. You just bake them, and it smells like a cruise :D

Yeah, I had them for the first time on a cruise, and I've been wanting them ever since. I went from one order the first night to three orders on the last.

Just because something is cheap and easy to prepare doesn't mean it isn't good :rolleyes:

At least where I am, snails are rather expensive foods. And once, I found real live snails, and they were the hardest things to clean and remove from their shells. I also found that Wegmans has frozen escargot with herb butter at a reasonable price. You just bake them, and it smells like a cruise :D

Yeah, I had them for the first time on a cruise, and I've been wanting them ever since. I went from one order the first night to three orders on the last.

I;ve had them on cruises and from Wegmans many, many, many tomes and love them. They were NOT available on my last cruise in January (Enchantment out of Baltimore), but they were on the menu. I got the chef to make a substitute dish using mushrooms. Good, but not as great as escargot. I hope they have them on my cruise in November. Please, please, please, be available every night!

Its funny that people think they are fancy gourmets and like to eat escargot.

In fact what they really like is only the Butter & Bread crumbs its smothered in.

I want to see someone eat the snails plain...

For me it's the texture combined with garlic butter that I like (I love garlic - maybe a middle eastern heritage thing). Just like sushi, it is the combination of everything that brings it all together into a great bite of food. I would definitely be open to trying escargot other ways. My favorite escargot preparation came from a Russian Restaurant located in Great Falls, VA that put them in a puff pastry and served them with browned garlic butter. One of the best appetizers that I have ever had anywhere in my life. Mmmmm...

They were available as an option every night on the 4 September Serenade sailing.

We spoke to head of Food & Beverage about them and he said they were much easier to obtain in Europe, hence presumably why it's often the European sailings which have them, which the above posts seem to bear out.

Edited by Bobal

Navigator, July 2013, available every night.

And of course the butter and garlic are part of the appeal of escargot. (I can take or leave bread crumbs!) I wouldn't eat snails plain, but I also wouldn't eat garlic plain or butter plain. It's the combination that is so good - and the substitution of scallops for escargot is just NOT as good to me.

AHOY SHIPMATES

FASCINATION / Jax Fla----AVAILABLE ---on menu every week

They remind me of the slugs we poured salt on to watch them shrivel up

when we were kids.-----Bon Appitette or in English " I hope the cook is sober"

No wonder Fascination sails full every time. Tried escargot on my first cruise in 1984 and am not looking forward to missing them on Oasis next week.

I am not sure why but I think they are close to becoming totaly removed from all ships. I am surprised as people are posting that they are still available on some ships.

This is my experience over the past year.

Jewel August 2012 yes everyday

Explorer December 2012 not available

Grandure April 2013 not available

Jewel August 2013 not available

Enchantment Sept 2013 not available

Brian J

8/22 Explorer - escargot not on the menu, but our waiter was able to get it for us the last two nights (and yes, it was reflected in his tip!)

Also, we stopped in San Maarten, and headed for the "Le Escargot" restaurant in Phillipsburgh - closed while they hunted for more Escargot! (really)

On the French side, in Magrigot - we were able to get escargot - simply broiled in shell - not with a heavy sauce like on Explorerer. Both good, though!

There is a large marine snail called scungilli which may be easier to find and is much better. We sold it in the seafood section of the market I used to work in. It is prepared in a savory marinara sauce with garlic and herbs. They are as large as a golf ball and when cooked right are truly wonderful. Much better than your usual escargot.

Bob:)