Oceania since merger? Plus or minus?

UDSpud

I have had 5 cruises on Oceania, but none since the NCL merger/buyout. I am interested if things are improving, slipping or about the same. It appears that former Oceania/Regent executives are now NCL Inc. corporation executives and have to concern themselves with the overall NCL corporate good/profit rather than just Oceania/Regent.

I remember significant changes to Holland America when Carnival Corp had serious financial problems due to Costa and Carnival cruise line subsidiary problems. From my point of view, it appeared that HAL was told to cut costs and raise profits in order to offset losses at the other two lines.

I would be interested in the comments of those who have sailed often on Oceania AND both before and after said merger/buyout. Thank you, in advance, for responding.

Those who are cheerleaders will just jump all over anyone who posts anything that is the least bit negative.

That being said, and without saying more, since I have already posted this, the O-Life program and other things have caused us to look at other lines.

Watch the fires! LOL

We've had a couple of cruises since the merger. We have not seen any differences in staff, service or food that can be related to the merger. I have noticed a somewhat different crowd with many first time O cruisers, but that has nothing to do with the merger.

Neither does the O Life promo, IMO.

The only thing I've noticed is less choice on items available for redemption for Big O points. Most people wouldn't care about this. Or it could be the last couple of cruises I was on hadn't had a chance to restock on these items.

If this is the biggest issue I've noticed then there are none.

Not a dangerous question at all. Frankly, I don't know. Since we shot our budget on the Insignia world cruise, we haven't booked an Oceania cruise since 2014. I'll let you know my personal feelings sometime after Jan 4, and even then our experience may be colored by the special circumstances of a world cruise.

But, I take solace in the fact that management is the same, all the top folks with experience right back to the beginning of Oceania, who know how special the cruise line is. I also take heart from the fact that NCL is a much different product with a different demographic, and management knows they would be absolute fools to make Oceania more like NCL.

I'm excited by the positive reports coming from experienced Oceania guests. They have a basis for comparison. There are always a few who thing that because the name is Cruise CRITIC, they have to be negative. And, there are always a few one-post wonders who come in with baseless, minor complaints and disappear. But, overall, the people who know Oceania, and have experience on both sides of the merger, have been positive.

Many of the few complaints have no basis in the merger, and are thus not not especially helpful in answering your question.

One last thought -- based on the short time that Mr. Sheehan was still in charge of NCL Holdings, and the changes he had already started to implement before FDR took over, we could have been much more in trouble than any perceived changes now. As a guest who has been sailing on Oceania since 2006, and is also Platinum on NCL, I can tell you accurately that NCL has been gong through MANY more changes than Oceania guests can speculate. I'll be aboard NCL Pearl for 11 days starting November 19, so I'll be able to offer my own opinion of those changes.

Stay tuned. (I tried hard to keep cheerleading out of this).

I would not be concerned about it on Oceania. All I can see for them are the port time changes which people have said is over. It seems to me NCL is being squeezed for money maybe to support the other two. I just came back from a trip on the Gem in the three bedroom garden villa. A 4500 square foot two story villa. Altho we had a nice trip I was surprised at how little came with the best room on the ship and beside the size how plane and tired it looked. The goal on NCL seems to charge extra for everything except the buffet and basic MDR. Even their the menu has many extra charge items. So Oceania passangers are safe.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I like to think that I'm not a cheerleader although I AM biased towards Oceania. That's because we have traveled with them since before they were Oceania and we like the product.

We were on Marina last April/May and didn't see any differences. Our next cruises will be in October '16 and April '17 (unless something changes in the interim) and I could answer the question better then.

For the record, we were in a PH on Marina last spring but before that our cruises were twice in a VS, once in an OC. That might color our experience, at least in terms of service in our suite.

Mura

I have been on several times since the merger and have noticed no difference...the changes in times on the ports were the only thing I noticed and that was from this board..but I know these have stopped..

I look forward to my next O trip..although we are doing a family trip on NCL Getaway in February..

Jancruz1

I would not be concerned about it on Oceania. All I can see for them are the port time changes which people have said is over. It seems to me NCL is being squeezed for money maybe to support the other two. I just came back from a trip on the Gem in the three bedroom garden villa. A 4500 square foot two story villa. Altho we had a nice trip I was surprised at how little came with the best room on the ship and beside the size how plane and tired it looked. The goal on NCL seems to charge extra for everything except the buffet and basic MDR. Even their the menu has many extra charge items. So Oceania passangers are safe.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I do believe that is changing and people will be getting more according to FDR..

Jancruz1

We are on Regatta now, Montreal to Miami. . The ship looks great and the service has been wonderful. . We eat in Terrace Cafe for lunch and dinner and the food has been has excellent . Can always find something to eat. Pollo Grill last night was wonderful. Service has been very attentive and smiles all a round.

The only thing I have noticed, and this might not be new, is that the nice wonderful people who clean our room and our Butler tell us they are off at 1pm. Meaning, if not out of room by then it might not be taken care of? We always made sure to be out before that time.

Looking forward to our first cruise on the Marina next August.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

They get a well-deserved rest from 1 pm until evening turn-down. I've had occasion to stay in bed longer than 1 pm when I wasn't feeling good, yest stepped out of the cabin by 3 pm or 4 pm. What happened is that our bed was made up at evening turndown and things generally put straight. Linen and towel changes, and vacuuming, resumed the next morning. This was before the merger, and to the n=best of my knowledge, has always been that way.

Edited by hondorner

Don (hondorner),

I am very interested in following your world cruise......since we may never get to do this. (A WC is indeed my dream trip!) Will you be posting reports and pics somewhere? And, when does this start? I have never had the pleasure of cruising with you two, but have always respected your comments on these posts. Holly

We've been on one cruise prior to the takeover and 2 since. No difference at all.

We have been on 2 cruises since the takeover and find no changes at all. Everything still as good as before. :):)

They get a well-deserved rest from 1 pm until evening turn-down. I've had occasion to stay in bed longer than 1 pm when I wasn't feeling good, yest stepped out of the cabin by 3 pm or 4 pm. What happened is that our bed was made up at evening turndown and things generally put straight. Linen and towel changes, and vacuuming, resumed the next morning. This was before the merger, and to the n=best of my knowledge, has always been that way.

Thanks for the information. Exactly what I thought.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

been on a 34 and a10 day cruise...and haven't notice the anything. Infact, my last to Alaska my wife declared it was the best ever.... AND on my next cruise I loved the O life... as a real bargain.

Cant see how it could be considered a negative... gratuities, internet, shore ex included !!!... In fact I see things getting better.... have 3 more cruises booked as I cant find any better quality and environ for the price....

I do believe that is changing and people will be getting more according to FDR..

Jancruz1

Thanks for the info. We are going back in July in same room and taking family so the three bedrooms is nice. I do not like people sleeping on a pull out, how luxury is that. I really do not want much but to have the Butler serve a meal in the villa and then have to pay extra for the food or being told a lobster is extra on top of extra really takes the fun away for me.

Thanks for the info. We are going back in July in same room and taking family so the three bedrooms is nice. I do not like people sleeping on a pull out, how luxury is that. I really do not want much but to have the Butler serve a meal in the villa and then have to pay extra for the food or being told a lobster is extra on top of extra really takes the fun away for me.

I am lost. What three bedrooms, what villa? Are they hiding these things from me? :confused::confused::confused:

I am lost. What three bedrooms, what villa? Are they hiding these things from me? :confused::confused::confused:

LOL! This threw me for a sec too, until I remembered that they'd been talking about the villas on NCL earlier in this thread:

The largest villa on NCL Gem has three separate bedrooms in it.

Just to add my agreement to Hypercafe's comment - before we selected our upcoming Oceania cruise, we were booked on an NCL cruise. But one of the reasons we switched (besides the ridiculous extra charges for everything) was that I just couldn't stand the look of the NCL suites - even the nicest ones. We were booked in a Haven villa of some kind on Gem, can't remember which...it was a pretty large suite. But the decor is just horrific! It looks like the decor in a children's daycare. Definitely NOT my cup of tea.

Once I saw the photos of the Riviera, I was hooked!

The largest villa on NCL Gem has three separate bedrooms in it.

Just to add my agreement to Hypercafe's comment - before we selected our upcoming Oceania cruise, we were booked on an NCL cruise. But one of the reasons we switched (besides the ridiculous extra charges for everything) was that I just couldn't stand the look of the NCL suites - even the nicest ones. We were booked in a Haven villa of some kind on Gem, can't remember which...it was a pretty large suite. But the decor is just horrific! It looks like the decor in a children's daycare. Definitely NOT my cup of tea.

Once I saw the photos of the Riviera, I was hooked!

To be fair to NCL's decor, our favorite suite can only be found on Star and Dawn. Fot some reason, they decided to move a deck 12 forward observation lounge (think Horizons) to deck 7 aft. They converted the former lounge to suites, with no balconies but floor to ceiling, wall to wall glass, 406 sq ft, huge bath with tub, shower large enough for 2, double sinks -- and a scale! Priced lower than balcony penthouses, they have a king bed, full sleep sofa and two upholstered chairs, murphy bed and dining table with 4 chairs. The decor is reserved, almost classy. Not in the Haven -- which is not my cup of tea, as the other suites get the same amenities.

We have not sailed any of NCL's big, new ships, and likely never will. Our upcoming cruise is 11 days on Pearl in a standard midship balcony. When we return it will be 34 days until the world cruise!

Don (hondorner),

I am very interested in following your world cruise......since we may never get to do this. (A WC is indeed my dream trip!) Will you be posting reports and pics somewhere? And, when does this start? I have never had the pleasure of cruising with you two, but have always respected your comments on these posts. Holly

Just like figuring out what I want to do when I grow up, I plan to do something to report but haven't yet figured out what. My favorite blog-type journal software has been discontinued. It will be something like Wordpress on my homepage or Facebook updates, probably on my wife's page, or I might set up a new page. Whatever, I'll let folks know here.