ANOTHER near hit. This one is terrifying!!

alwaysfrantic

And these two ladies were doing exactly what, jet-skiing into this assumedly protected sea lane that caused them to ignore the size of the ship heading their way. Sun in their eyes?

Scary yes, But also stupid, yes.

I remember the days when a cruise ship was in port, anywhere, even in FLL or MIA, the coast guard and the ships own lifeboats were used to patrol the exposed side of the vessel. This was a reaction to the USS Cole bombing in Yemen, in 2000. No other vessels, even rowboats and jet skis could come within a specified distance. I guess restrictions have been loosened since then. But a jet ski could easily carry a few kilos of C4 and would put a nice sized hole in a cruise ship.

Is it not widely known that it is always the responsibility of the smaller vessel under power to make sure it gets itself out of the way of any and all larger vessels under power?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Lots of discussion about this on the Carnival Message Board as well as some postings from those involved. Clearly, the Sheriff's Deputy as well as the ship's Pilot should be recognized for what they did to prevent a tragedy from happening.

Stupid is right.

Jet skiers attempted to run in front of the Westerdam when we sailed out of San Diego last November. The Coast Guard had to intervene with their main gun pointed straight at the jet skier to force them away.

The funny part was that the jet skier that that he could outrun the Coast Guard boat. It was quite funny to watch the Coast Guard boat out-accelerate the jet ski at every turn

igraf

And these two ladies were doing exactly what, jet-skiing into this assumedly protected sea lane that caused them to ignore the size of the ship heading their way. Sun in their eyes?

Scary yes, But also stupid, yes.

1. The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard

2. Give Brevard County Sheriff Agricultural and Marine Unit Deputy Taner Primmer a medal for placing his own life in danger in order to save those two individuals. Chances were very real, them choosing to remain in the path of an outbound 130,000 GRT cruise ship which btw, had the right of way, could have ended in tragedy if it wasn't for Deputy Primmer's quick thinking and actions

Actually, from blogs by the Broward County Sheriff's office and the PC Pilots Association, the pilot on the Magic was the one who called the Sheriff's boat about the jet skiers, and was in contact with the boat at all times. He slowed the ship and maneuvered as close to the side of the channel as possible. I don't believe the incident was as close as it seemed from the video, as the boat was not being tossed around too vigorously by the ship's bow wave. It was a fine rescue by the deputy and well co-ordinated by both vessels. I'm not convinced that the girls were in mortal danger, as the pilot could well have stopped the propellers if needed, long before they would have been near, and that would have been the only thing that could have brought them under. Otherwise, some bruises and scrapes from being tossed along the hull. A serious accident, but one that I've seen acted out time and time again, at various Florida ports and California ports, and not just with cruise ships, but cargo ships that can't stop as quickly.

1. The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard

2. Give Brevard County Sheriff Agricultural and Marine Unit Deputy Taner Primmer a medal for placing his own life in danger in order to save those two individuals. Chances were very real, them choosing to remain in the path of an outbound 130,000 GRT cruise ship which btw, had the right of way, could have ended in tragedy if it wasn't for Deputy Primmer's quick thinking and actions

And very shallow! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What on earth are jet skiers doing in the Port Canaveral inner harbor area? Not only are there cruise and cargo ships moving about, but there is a national security area just a short distance away. I know it's common in all navigable waterways, but we have got to start having some more common sense views about port security. In the case of Port Canaveral area there are plenty of safer areas in the Indian River Lagoon and Banana River Lagoon to play around. For crying out loud there is restricted air space for safety and security reasons, why not harbors?

Dennis

I guess common sense is not that common.

Allan

Especially by students on March break. If it's not falling off hotel balconies, it's playing chicken with cruise ships. It's a good thing I never had $$ to go away when I was that age, otherwise I may never have reached my wonderful older age.:)

Is it not widely known that it is always the responsibility of the smaller vessel under power to make sure it gets itself out of the way of any and all larger vessels under power?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It is. And, in the words of Churchill, "If it isn't, it should be!"

How "A" for effort?

Agreed. Here are the rules:

Reproduction

Out of the gene pool: dead or sterile.

Excellence

Astounding misapplication of judgment.

Self-Selection

Cause one's own demise.

Maturity

Capable of sound judgment.

Veracity

The event must be true.

They score on 2 through 5, near miss on #1.

http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/