must change cruise date because school board changed when the kids go back to school

CruzCra-Z

In Jan. we booked a cruise for Aug. 25th 2019. Last week we found out that our county has voted to send the kids back to school on Aug 12th instead of after Labor Day (this is a total surprise). My oldest doesn't want to miss a week of school because it will affect her ability to be exempt from exams. To rebook in either June or early Aug (cant do July) it will cost us an additional 976.00 minimum plus the 200.00 cancellation/rebooking fee. Has anyone every had any luck getting this fee waved? I'm looking into rebooking because of a local government change so I'm wondering who I should contact at Carnival to see if I can avoid paying the 200.00. I'm wondering if they would be at all sympathetic...

We are considering just cancelling the cruise altogether if we have to pay the 200 and plan a different vacation. It's not what I want and I would hope it isn't what Carnival would want but and additional almost 1,200.00 because of the school calendar change is just more that I was bargaining for.

Thanks for any input.

If you have a PVP, they MAY be able to help but there's no guarantee. Unfortunately that's the risk you take when you book Early Saver. Just because it's the "cheapest" doesn't mean it's the least expensive. Often fully refundable deposit rates are only $10-$20 more per person. All you can do is ask but the answer should be no according to the terms and conditions of Early Saver.

Insurance? My insurance covers change in school schedule

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I purchased the insurance through Carnival. I didn't even think of that. Did you purchase Carnivals or something better?

Instead of changing your booking, try contacting your children's school administrators and explain the situation you're in. I'd bet you're not the only parents that made vacation plans in advance not knowing there would be a change in your school district's starting date. Explain to the administrators how much money you stand to lose by rebooking or cancelling your cruise. If possible, try to meet with your children's teachers ahead of time and explain the situation to them as well. Maybe they could give your children any necessary homework they might have to do to keep from being behind a week in their lessons. Doing homework while on a cruise will take away some of the thrill from being on a cruise, but it's far more preferable than the costly alternative(s) you're considering. Since the cruise isn't until Aug. 2019, you'll have plenty of time to work it out, but I'd do it as soon as possible.

That’s a huge change, more than three weeks earlier! I would try calling Carnival and see what they say? Can’t hurt to ask nicely. I booked a Memorial Day weekend cruise for this year and had to cancel thanks the bills for crazy tree damage in the March storms. I called to cancel and asked if they would move my deposit to another cruise I had already booked. They did it without any fuss! Good luck

Instead of changing your booking, try contacting your children's school administrators and explain the situation you're in. I'd bet you're not the only parents that made vacation plans in advance not knowing there would be a change in your school district's starting date. Explain to the administrators how much money you stand to lose by rebooking or cancelling your cruise. If possible, try to meet with your children's teachers ahead of time and explain the situation to them as well. Maybe they could give your children any necessary homework they might have to do to keep from being behind a week in their lessons. Doing homework while on a cruise will take away some of the thrill from being on a cruise, but it's far more preferable than the costly alternative(s) you're considering. Since the cruise isn't until Aug. 2019, you'll have plenty of time to work it out, but I'd do it as soon as possible.

Or respect your child’s desire to go to school rather than cruise.

That happened to me a lot of years ago, but with my employer....based on past history, I booked and paid for a cruise with my family the end of May almost a year in advance. End of December comes, and they tell us they changed the fiscal year and the inventory is set for the end of May, so days off and vacations are suspended for those two weeks. So, I take my 'gazumbas" to the head honcho and tell him in no uncertain words that I have my vacation planned, paid for and am going or he can pay me double the cost of the vacation. Also didn't consider that time of year is full of graduations, weddings and such. Needless to say I went, no further problems encountered.

In Jan. we booked a cruise for Aug. 25th 2019. Last week we found out that our county has voted to send the kids back to school on Aug 12th instead of after Labor Day (this is a total surprise). My oldest doesn't want to miss a week of school because it will affect her ability to be exempt from exams. To rebook in either June or early Aug (cant do July) it will cost us an additional 976.00 minimum plus the 200.00 cancellation/rebooking fee. Has anyone every had any luck getting this fee waved? I'm looking into rebooking because of a local government change so I'm wondering who I should contact at Carnival to see if I can avoid paying the 200.00. I'm wondering if they would be at all sympathetic...

We are considering just cancelling the cruise altogether if we have to pay the 200 and plan a different vacation. It's not what I want and I would hope it isn't what Carnival would want but and additional almost 1,200.00 because of the school calendar change is just more that I was bargaining for.

Thanks for any input.

Just determine what your priorities are and act accordingly:

If vacation time is more important than your child's education, to hell with school!

If your child's education is more important than your vacation time, to hell with the cruise!

Can you imagine if Carnival had to make an exception for every passenger who thinks he/she has a "legitimate" reason/excuse for needing to reschedule and/or cancel their cruise?

smh

I have booked many cruises far in advance. Each time I told my PVP, that I did not have my exact work/school schedule at the time of booking. I have had to change the dates on several cruises and each time my PVP has had the $50.00 fee waived. Since you have a long time before the cruise, I would try to discuss the situation with the school administration and get their advice. They may waive their requirements if the student could do some extra work over the summer.

Good luck and have fun.

Now I did not have something like a school board change but I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and spent 3 months in the hospital and was given a year to live and it was no dice for me

PS, (by the ways thru God and the miraculous doctors I have worked with I am now cancer free)

Talk to your PVP as others have said. If you're rebooking another exact or similar cruise they most likely will work with you.

If you do not have a PVP, contact Mischelle via the Carnival Cruise facebook page, and she will put you in touch with Customer Care.

Now I did not have something like a school board change but I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and spent 3 months in the hospital and was given a year to live and it was no dice for me

PS, (by the ways thru God and the miraculous doctors I have worked with I am now cancer free)

God bless you and your recovery!!! That is truly a blessing and I hope and pray you continue to be cancer free and take many many more cruises!!!

Interesting situation. My kids would rather go on a cruise than be exempt from exams, so it would be a no brainer for us. But I sure wouldn’t want to go on a cruise if my kids were not going to have a good time. Hope it works out for you either rescheduling or getting a refund.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting situation. My kids would rather go on a cruise than be exempt from exams, so it would be a no brainer for us. But I sure wouldn’t want to go on a cruise if my kids were not going to have a good time. Hope it works out for you either rescheduling or getting a refund.

Now there's someone who's got his/her priorities in order! :rolleyes:

I am a teacher in a district that also changed start dates; however, we were given a years notice. I am shocked at how late they made this decision for the upcoming school year. I know many teachers who take vacations like the week before, so they must be scrambling too. I would definitely start with the admin at your child's school, and see if there is a way to deal with the absences. As someone already said, you are not going to be the only ones in this situation. I don't know how that school works, but I know I use Google Classroom for everything, so it is easy for my students who are absent to get their assignments and announcements, so if his teachers use an online management system, it will be easy for him to get some work done on the way there and way home. Just thought I would give my advice if you end up going. Good luck :)

I am a teacher in a district that also changed start dates; however, we were given a years notice. I am shocked at how late they made this decision for the upcoming school year. I know many teachers who take vacations like the week before, so they must be scrambling too. I would definitely start with the admin at your child's school, and see if there is a way to deal with the absences. As someone already said, you are not going to be the only ones in this situation. I don't know how that school works, but I know I use Google Classroom for everything, so it is easy for my students who are absent to get their assignments and announcements, so if his teachers use an online management system, it will be easy for him to get some work done on the way there and way home. Just thought I would give my advice if you end up going. Good luck :)

They also have a year's notice: 2019.

As a straight A student with a Master's in Education and a self-proclaimed geek, I can see the kid's perspective. Good luck to all of you!

Now there's someone who's got his/her priorities in order! [emoji57]

Darn right. They are done with high school, but for them, missing a week of school would have been no big deal. And since they kept their grades up, I wouldn’t have cared. But for some, missing a week would be a big deal.

We had a similar, though not as drastic, school change back in 2003 (or it might have been 2004). We did not have as much of a time ahead as you as my wife's school change happened only a few months before we cruised.

School was supposed to start after Labor Day, Tuesday for a conference day and to get rooms ready, and Wednesday for the students to start. Then they added another conference day, this one in August when we would be on our cruise. (The cruise was supposed to disembark the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend.) My wife contacted her school superintendent, and ended up having to take a personal day for the conference she missed.

And it could have ended up even worse, as there was a hurricane. We ended up disembarking on Labor Day and were lucky enough to get a flight back on standby. Missing the second day and not being able to set up her art room would have been very difficult for her.

Or respect your child’s desire to go to school rather than cruise.

thanks lol - she's a straight A student... but the school has a rule about absences effecting final exam exemptions. Which really doesn't make sense to me. If you have the grade to be exempt that should be all that matters.