Tipping question (auto-tip cancellation)

readsontheship

Is there a downside to cancelling the auto tip on Carnival and just tipping the staff as they deserve to be tipped? I am a generous tipper, but I believe in tipping for service and tipping REALLY WELL for excellent service. I do not like the auto-tip, but do not want to mess over the staff either.

Yes. There are many employees who share in the tip pool that work hard to make your cruise wonderful who you many not engage with personally or recognize as someone to be tipped. I always leave the auto-tips on (they are minimal when you think about what you would tip for the same services on land - think eating in a restaurant 3x a day) and then tip extra for extraordinary services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. There are many employees who share in the tip pool that work hard to make your cruise wonderful who you many not engage with personally or recognize as someone to be tipped. I always leave the auto-tips on (they are minimal when you think about what you would tip for the same services on land - think eating in a restaurant 3x a day) and then tip extra for extraordinary services.

This.

The auto-tip is not really that “generous”. If you were to figure what a “generous” tipper would leave for three meals, chamber service at a hotel, something for the maitre d’ at dinner, etc. and then throw in something for the people WHO YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED work behind the scenes, who you do not see, you will realize that the $12.50 (or whatever) per person per day is actually quite ordinary.

The “generous” tipper would likely want to leave more - perhaps directly to those who visibly went out of their way to provide superior service.

Is there a downside to cancelling the auto tip on Carnival and just tipping the staff as they deserve to be tipped? I am a generous tipper, but I believe in tipping for service and tipping REALLY WELL for excellent service. I do not like the auto-tip, but do not want to mess over the staff either.

And THAT is the downside. If you do that you will most definitely mess over the staff.

The auto-tip is not really that “generous”. If you were to figure what a “generous” tipper would leave for three meals, chamber service at a hotel, something for the maitre d’ at dinner, etc. and then throw in something for the people WHO YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED work behind the scenes, who you do not see, you will realize that the $12.50 (or whatever) per person per day is actually quite ordinary.

The “generous” tipper would likely want to leave more - perhaps directly to those who visibly went out of their way to provide superior service.

My wife and I ate out twice in the same day once, breakfast and dinner. The tips for the two meals came to $9.50 per person (and we weren't eating at high scale restaurants either).

$12.50 for three squares, twice daily housekeeping services and misc. services is a downright steal.

My thing is, for instance, that we will not use housekeeping services, so I would prefer to tip (truly) generously to others whose services we do require.

It is a safe bet to assume that no experienced cruisers will state this is a good idea. The auto tips work, and are painless provided you have allowed for them in your budgeting / planning.

This is one of the recurrent subjects (Walkie Talkies is the other one (aren't we due for that this week?)) where the experienced folks are the 'voice of experience'.

My thing is, for instance, that we will not use housekeeping services, so I would prefer to tip (truly) generously to others whose services we do require.

They still have to get the cabin ready for you and clean up after you (a week's worth of cleaning all at once), plus they are still required to check on you. That you are choosing not to use them is a poor excuse not to provide the compensation they would get if they were providing the service.

Do you plan to leave the Do Not Disturb sign out for the entire cruise? That can create a problem and you can expect a visit from head of housekeeping to make sure you are not ill, that you do not need sheets changed, or fresh towels/washcloths, that you do not have food spoiling, or any other problems.

Your cabin steward cleaned the cabin before your occupancy and will clean it after you leave, but you don't plan on giving any tip?

Leave the auto-gratuity in place and then tip extra to those you wish.

Who is going to empty your garbage? Same towels for the week? Additional toilet paper? Deliver the daily’s?vacuum up sand? Deliver ice?

And what about the behind the scenes people washing your dishes and pool towels? Stocking the buffet? It’s really simple, leave it on and tip extra in cash. We frequently gave bartenders tips, and tipped the dietary manager (dd has celiac) and our room steward extra at the end.

As a new cruiser, you may not realize how things are significantly different on a ship. Regardless of whether you think you are “using” housekeeping services, it is really not optional (see previous posters). What about those who work on the Lido to serve and clean up after you (assuming you will elect to eat there at least once)? They share in the tip pool, but I am confident that you will not be able to chase them all down to tip them. What about the entertainment staff who share in the tip pool? Do you plan to chase them down every time they offer some sort of assistance? What about those people who would be serving you that you don’t interact with personally (such as those who deliver your luggage and others behind the scenes—they ARE there).

Carnival does ask about guests who remove their auto-gratuities. It is a matter of making sure that the service level is maintained. If you tell them that you want to remove gratuities for housekeeping (for example) because you didn’t “use” those services, that employee will take a hit on their review for lack of service.

If you choose to not listen to or understand the answer to your question because it isn’t what you wanted to hear, I’m sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Simply put, if you cancel the auto tips you will ‘mess over the staff’. You will be very well compensating a few staff members while skipping over others completely. I would urge you not to pre-decide which services you will use. Unless you are on a 3 day cruise I can’t imagine completely skipping housekeeping the entire trip. The rooms are small; the garbage cans need emptied often, housekeeping is the only way to get fresh towels and ice, plus you’d be missing out on the personal touches like towel animals. Not to mention someone will be going by your room daily to drop off your dailies. And in our post Las Vegas society, a do not disturb up for multiple days will result in inquiry, not someone happy to have a break.

Also remember that cruise ships are much more contained than other holidays you have been on. The crew know exactly how many rooms per week they service and how much they can expect to be paid for it. You don’t have the variability a hotel would with high occupancy and low occupancy. The staff that serve you will notice in their pay if you take the gratuities off and if they aren’t the few you have identified as serving you, they will be out of luck for the week.

Does anyone know the price per day they add for tipping on Royal Caribbean ? its been awhile since we cruised and on Carnival ( it was $11.50 @ day @ person )

The automatic gratuity is $14.50 USD, or $17.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis. The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

Is it even possible to cancel your automatic gratuity?

Depends on the cruise line. Some will not allow it; though I guess it was the cruise from He11, maybe they would. Costa, for one, doesn't make a practice of cancelling.

Do you plan to leave the Do Not Disturb sign out for the entire cruise? That can create a problem and you can expect a visit from head of housekeeping to make sure you are not ill, that you do not need sheets changed, or fresh towels/washcloths, that you do not have food spoiling, or any other problems.

Your cabin steward cleaned the cabin before your occupancy and will clean it after you leave, but you don't plan on giving any tip?

Leave the auto-gratuity in place and then tip extra to those you wish.

Totally agree with this. Great advice!