[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:47 PM.
Dallas, TX
1,003 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by bruadhin
So that is probably the biggest reason I like tipping, I know it actually goes where intended.

Do you?

Some restaurants were collecting portions of tips from the staff (see various lawsuits.) Many places pool tips, to cover busboys and runners. There is a rumor that should come back in about five posts that Norwegian collects cash tips and redistributes them.

There is a system in place. It is badly named. Why not just use the system?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Visit My Cruise Log and Notes (126 days at sea)

Carnival Freedom - Norwegian Breakaway - Norwegian Dawn - Norwegian Epic (x4) - Norwegian Getaway (x2) - Norwegian Jade (x2) - Norwegian Jewel - Norwegian Pearl (x2) - Norwegian Spirit
Hollywood, FL
549 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Mslmesq
I would rather have it as part of the cost. Makes it easier beforehand.

I just looked and saw the kids staff is not included in dsc. Iím definitely thinking of adjusting my sonís dsc downward and giving it to them. Plus extra to steward. That seems more fair as he will spend a lot of time there.
Here's something you may or may not need to consider.

How does your son behave in the restaurants?

Does the waitstaff take initiative to bring something special to pacify your son?

Did you need to make any special food requests through the waitstaff for your son?

I've observed tables with small children where the floor looked like a food fight must have occurred with the mess left behind. Some parents will acknowledge the bus person with an additional gratuity and say I'm sorry for the mess. Others will walk away thinking "that's their job to clean it up."

Did your son eat off of a plate and use the flatware as you did at the buffet? Did your son clear away and clean the table?

On a 7 day recent Getaway sailing I had opportunity to eat 21 meals. All but three were eaten in The Haven Restaurant. Of those 18 meals, I think 14 were eaten at the same table with the same server because the DR manager knew my preference.

At the end of the cruise I provided an additional gratuity to that server who approached me later with more gratitude and stated: "that was too much." I didn't think so. I left an additional cash gratuity for each of the two dinners I ate outside The Haven and a cash gratuity to the bartender that served me lunch and drinks on embarkation.

I provided an extra gratuity to my room steward. (And of course, I gave a gratuity to my butler and concierge team, as they do not participate in the DSC.)

I never set foot in the buffet or any of the MDR's. Despite that, every penny of my DSC remained in place. Was I cheated or did I feel I didn't need to pay? NO, not at all.

As you consider what to do, should you feel the staff isn't deserving, or you're being cheated, then perhaps instead feel that you're doing a little something extra.
Hollywood, FL
549 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Two Wheels Only
Introduced "Premium All Inclusive" which eliminated the DSC and promo services charges but increased the fare by more than the amount of the DSC and promo service charges. BTW, since there is no DSC, there is nothing that the guest can get removed or reduced.

Would the DSC removers prefer that?
Amen, Hallelujah! My prayers are being answered. Please enact this worldwide.
1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by ray98
Put it in the fare. It is now part of the cost of the cruise.
Great, so there is no longer any need to pay the DSC at all, nor to tip any staff.

End of discussion, stop tipping if they are already charging you for it.

By the way, while I live in the US, I do understand that America does not rule the world culturally. Required tipping is very much an American thing.

Do I support tipping staff? Absolutely.

But see the tipping threads, these employees are actually paid a decent wage, tips are a bonus, not part of their salary.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by BirdTravels
You have a choice. Donít cruise.

At home, donít go to a restaurant if you want to stiff the server because they are already being paid to serve you.

Donít go and get a haircut if you donít want to tip the stylist because they are being paid to cut hair.

Donít take a cab if you donít want to tip someone who is being paid to drive.

Donít tip your housekeeper in a hotel because they are being paid to clean your room.
Also, do not travel. Not all countries consider tipping polite. Some cultures consider tipping your wait staff to be rude.

I tip my wait staff in the US because they are paid less than minimum wage. I do not tip the person at McDonald's because they are paid minimum wage, I also don't tip the person at any of the fast food places that bring my food to my table for the same reason. If you don't tip the McDonald's employee you are stiffing them on 15% of your bill and are a very rude person by your standards.
In places where wait staff is being paid minimum wage and up, there is no reason to tip them for doing what they are being paid to do.

Tipping is for going above and beyond in service, it is not meant to be a part of your paycheck. Places where it is meant to be a part of your paycheck means that the employer is too cheap to pay his workers a decent wage. Why are you supporting that business anyway?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

brooklyn ny
2,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by BirdTravels
You have a choice. Donít cruise.

At home, donít go to a restaurant if you want to stiff the server because they are already being paid to serve you.

Donít go and get a haircut if you donít want to tip the stylist because they are being paid to cut hair.

Donít take a cab if you donít want to tip someone who is being paid to drive.

Donít tip your housekeeper in a hotel because they are being paid to clean your room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wheres the like button? :-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

BREAKAWAY JULY 2, 2017

Plus 2 cruises on RCCL 2 CC and approx. 18 more on NCL-I cant remember which ships!
Ellenton Florida
974 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I would rather debate anything else on this site.

The whole tipping thing has tons of comments on it and I will not add another just wish these
threads would not take up the whole forum.

Along with Kids on ships and Smoking

We talk about things NCL could change what about changing our behavior and not posting this garbage over and over again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dallas, TX
9,412 Posts
Joined May 2008
Really?

$3 a day is a big deal?

I think cleaning the extra sf in a suite more than justifies it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna (Dallas, Texas)

Previous Cruises:
NCL Epic - Forward Owner's Suite (17004) - Eastern Caribbean (after
being cancelled TWICE by NCL)
NCL Jewel - aft PH - Western Caribbean from Tx - 4/15
Carnival Magic - aft balc - Caribbean from TX - 11/14
NCL Sun - aft PH (9076) - So. Caribbean - 03/13
Carnival Paradise - Baja Calif - 03/11
NCL Sun - aft PH (9076) - So. America (& Antarctica) - 2/09 (Favorite)
NCL Dawn - NYC to Nowhere -04/08 -
NCL Jewel - TransAtlantic to Greece - 04/07
RCI Monarch - Baja Calif - 03/05 - Family Reunion Cruise!
Celebrity Summit - Alaska - 08/03
Carnival Ecstacy - Bahamas - 5/00
NCL Norway - broom closet (Inside) Caribbean - 7/86 My 1st!!!
Dallas, TX
9,412 Posts
Joined May 2008
I always do research on foreign countries to inform myself of their rules and customs.

I understand most do not.

I was appalled by the way many acted inside the Sistine Chapel.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna (Dallas, Texas)

Previous Cruises:
NCL Epic - Forward Owner's Suite (17004) - Eastern Caribbean (after
being cancelled TWICE by NCL)
NCL Jewel - aft PH - Western Caribbean from Tx - 4/15
Carnival Magic - aft balc - Caribbean from TX - 11/14
NCL Sun - aft PH (9076) - So. Caribbean - 03/13
Carnival Paradise - Baja Calif - 03/11
NCL Sun - aft PH (9076) - So. America (& Antarctica) - 2/09 (Favorite)
NCL Dawn - NYC to Nowhere -04/08 -
NCL Jewel - TransAtlantic to Greece - 04/07
RCI Monarch - Baja Calif - 03/05 - Family Reunion Cruise!
Celebrity Summit - Alaska - 08/03
Carnival Ecstacy - Bahamas - 5/00
NCL Norway - broom closet (Inside) Caribbean - 7/86 My 1st!!!
1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by DMH15
I always do research on foreign countries to inform myself of their rules and customs.

I understand most do not.

I was appalled by the way many acted inside the Sistine Chapel.
OK, now you have me curious?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by detroitlions
We talk about things NCL could change what about changing our behavior and not posting this garbage over and over again.
Or maybe NCL could take note of the things that passengers care about and are passionate about and address those issues.

Address tipping, maybe add the butler and concierge in to the suite DSC.
Address kids and maybe enforce the rules on no children in adult areas.
Address smoking and maybe stop people from smoking where they aren't allowed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

forest hills, ny
1,065 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Suite staff not only have a larger space to clean, but because they are also expected to provide more services, they have less cabins assigned to them. That means less cabins from which to receive tips. In order to compensate them on par with other housekeeping staff the daily tip would need to be bigger.

Hollywood, FL
549 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by DarkJedi
Great, so there is no longer any need to pay the DSC at all, nor to tip any staff.

End of discussion, stop tipping if they are already charging you for it.

By the way, while I live in the US, I do understand that America does not rule the world culturally. Required tipping is very much an American thing.

Do I support tipping staff? Absolutely.

But see the tipping threads, these employees are actually paid a decent wage, tips are a bonus, not part of their salary.
Doing a search on "YouTube Cruises Undercover: The Truth Below Deck"

To watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfcKUwzbWpE&t=113s

It's about 6 minutes, but you won't need to watch that long to hopefully change how you feel about "decent wages."
1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by rbt001
Doing a search on "YouTube Cruises Undercover: The Truth Below Deck"

To watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfcKUwzbWpE&t=113s

It's about 6 minutes, but you won't need to watch that long to hopefully change how you feel about "decent wages."

I notice you did not link to the same video with comments enabled where all the cruise line employees called BS on this story.

If you believe that people are going back to these jobs over and over for $50 a month from places like the US, UK, Australia, Germany, Italy, ect then you believe that your fellow countrymen are morons.

Especially those who can get jobs in land based resort employment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Meg actually has some pretty good videos about crew life, she did it for a few years and vblogged about it while on board:
https://www.youtube.com/user/itsmegsface/videos

Michelle Tim has some really good perks of the job here (and mentions why those ratings matter so much):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6mJsvF0A4

Here is her collection of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/m1chelletim/videos

So yes, some undercover reporter discovered something, your point? Why do these other people keep re-upping their contracts for new ones?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

6,019 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Also, do not travel. Not all countries consider tipping polite. Some cultures consider tipping your wait staff to be rude.

I tip my wait staff in the US because they are paid less than minimum wage. I do not tip the person at McDonald's because they are paid minimum wage, I also don't tip the person at any of the fast food places that bring my food to my table for the same reason. If you don't tip the McDonald's employee you are stiffing them on 15% of your bill and are a very rude person by your standards.
In places where wait staff is being paid minimum wage and up, there is no reason to tip them for doing what they are being paid to do.

Tipping is for going above and beyond in service, it is not meant to be a part of your paycheck. Places where it is meant to be a part of your paycheck means that the employer is too cheap to pay his workers a decent wage. Why are you supporting that business anyway?
I honestly donít mind tipping, if the restaurants paid fair wages, prices would go up. Dd21 waitresses to pay for room and board at college, gets paid $2.13 an hour. She comes out ahead of minimum wages because she does a great job. Here in the US, tipping at restaurants is for doing A job, the customer decides if it was good or not and can adjust the tip accordingly.
Hollywood, FL
549 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Meg actually has some pretty good videos about crew life, she did it for a few years and vblogged about it while on board:
https://www.youtube.com/user/itsmegsface/videos

Michelle Tim has some really good perks of the job here (and mentions why those ratings matter so much):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6mJsvF0A4

Here is her collection of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/m1chelletim/videos

So yes, some undercover reporter discovered something, your point? Why do these other people keep re-upping their contracts for new ones?
Because enough of us leave the DSC in place and provide decent additional gratuities? Maybe?

Seriously, for a moment, while looking for that video, I did view a few others that make this all a matter of perspective.

Contracts in some cases are re-upped because it's a great opportunity compared to what's available at home in their country.

I watched two videos by USA residents who had worked on cruise lines. The first "Coffee with Sean" is a single guy that packed all his stuff in his parents basement free of charge and worked two contracts of 6 months each in a somewhat skilled position in Audio/Visual for the entertainment. He seemed happy that he was able to save about $10,000 each of two contracts that combined covered a year. He points out it was possible only because he had no expenses, that in reality he earned little.

The other was a USA citizen, female, who was recruited out of college. She used words to describe her experience including: exploitation, abuse, sexual abuse, etc. Somehow she expected glamour and luxury, it seems. It's obvious that she was naive. And that's my point: the majority of cruise passengers don't fully understand what's going on behind the scene to make the passenger experience enjoyable.
Canada
1,683 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by rbt001
Because enough of us leave the DSC in place and provide decent additional gratuities? Maybe?

The other was a USA citizen, female, who was recruited out of college. She used words to describe her experience including: exploitation, abuse, sexual abuse, etc. Somehow she expected glamour and luxury, it seems. It's obvious that she was naive.
So a woman signs up with a cruise line, is exploited and sexually abused, and a CC poster replies that "It's obvious that she was naÔve."

I think we have a new record.
Hollywood, FL
549 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Shawnino
So a woman signs up with a cruise line, is exploited and sexually abused, and a CC poster replies that "It's obvious that she was naÔve."

I think we have a new record.
Watch the video before you comment.

I should have cleared up that she selected "charged words" to give her take on the situation and make her point about conditions aboard ship as an employee.

She felt "exploited" because she was made to work long hours every day of her contract without a day off.

Point is: what she felt was labor exploitation is another crew member's dream job.
Hollywood, FL
549 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
I notice you did not link to the same video with comments enabled where all the cruise line employees called BS on this story.
I'd appreciate a link to one with comments. Didn't know there was a different one and I sure will read what's said by other crew members.