Cruisecare Travel Insurance

cltnccruisers

We've never bothered with cruise insurance before but we are considering a Southern Carib on Equinox in September, 2019. With this past hurricane season fresh in my mind I checked out the Cruisecare Travel Insurance offered by X. Frankly, the $$ limits look kind of weak. How does this plan compare to others you more experienced folks might have used?

I second this.

This is exactly what I was looking for. My BC/BS policy covers us for international treatment but it's a little vague on evacuation and couldn't careless how a hurricane might affect our trip. This site looks like we'll be able to pick and choose - kind of like eating at the buffet. :)

I have always insured my trips and have used the cruisline insurance. I have had to cancel 2 cruises at the last minute due to medical emergencies and have not had any trouble getting my money back. I found the companies to be very helpful in completing the claims. I have compared prices for my upcoming cruises with insuremytrip and found there not to be a big difference in pricing. My sister gets yearly trip insurance from an outside vendor and is very happy.

I have always insured my trips and have used the cruisline insurance. I have had to cancel 2 cruises at the last minute due to medical emergencies and have not had any trouble getting my money back. I found the companies to be very helpful in completing the claims. I have compared prices for my upcoming cruises with insuremytrip and found there not to be a big difference in pricing. My sister gets yearly trip insurance from an outside vendor and is very happy.

I’m depending I’m my chase reserve. C/C. They claim they offer good insurance and travel protection

I’m wondering how good this people is if you need to submit a claim

Any body out there had any experience dealing with Chase Bank claims

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a rule of thumb, if you feel you must purchase insurance it is wise to check out the websites mentioned in previous posts. Cruiselines offer a "one size fits all" approach. Shopping around will poivide you with the ability to find a policy that fits your needs and budget (you will even find ratings of the various companies). Usually you'll find better coverage at a lower price. One thing most cruise liine policies do not cover is financial default - since they are insuring themselves. Do not rely on your travel agent for an unbiased recommendation, since they get a commission for policies sold through the cruise lines. We now pay for all of our travel with our Chase Sapphire Card, which has excellent benefits, and we have purchased a long-term Medjet Assist policy since we travel quite a bit and want medical evacuation coverage.

• 7 months later...
As a rule of thumb, if you feel you must purchase insurance it is wise to check out the websites mentioned in previous posts. Cruiselines offer a "one size fits all" approach. Shopping around will poivide you with the ability to find a policy that fits your needs and budget (you will even find ratings of the various companies). Usually you'll find better coverage at a lower price. One thing most cruise liine policies do not cover is financial default - since they are insuring themselves. Do not rely on your travel agent for an unbiased recommendation, since they get a commission for policies sold through the cruise lines. We now pay for all of our travel with our Chase Sapphire Card, which has excellent benefits, and we have purchased a long-term Medjet Assist policy since we travel quite a bit and want medical evacuation coverage.

I have always wondered how a credit card travel cancellation policy compares to 3rd party insurance through insuremytrip, etc. Based on your response, I am assuming that your card does not cover emergency evacuation but does cover most of the other things an independent travel insurance company would cover?

Just a reminder that if you are on Medicare, you are NOT covered outside of the United States. Be very careful when considering insurance. And anyone over 65, really should get medical insurance that will cover your medical expenses as well as evacuation expenses. One evacuation can cost you upwards of $100,000.

I have always wondered how a credit card travel cancellation policy compares to 3rd party insurance through insuremytrip, etc. Based on your response, I am assuming that your card does not cover emergency evacuation but does cover most of the other things an independent travel insurance company would cover?

We have found that the Chase Sapphire does cover most our most basic travel insurance needs.

Regarding medical evacuation, most assume the coverage will get them to a medical facility close to home. That is absolutely not the case. Most medical evacuation coverage will get you from the point of incident to the closest medical facility that is qualified to treat you. (Example: you get injured or sick in China, the insurance company pays to get you to the closest hospital and you stay there until you are well enough to get yourself home.)So if you are in a foreign country and desire to have your treatment continued back in your home country, you will be responsible for getting yourself there. That was of great concern to us and the MedJet policy will get us to the medical facility of our choosing if an incident occurs more than 150 miles from our home, and we are deemed well enough to be transported. The policy is long-term, not per trip, and because we travel frequently, both in the US and abroad, it seems to fit our needs.

As always, insurance is a very personal choice.

As others have said, insuremytrip is a great resource fot comparing policies for the coverage and price that suits you. We have found that the older we get, the higher the cost is of travel insurance. Although Medicare doesn’t cover us out of the US, our supplemental policy does. For our trip cancellation/delay coverage, we rely on our Costco Citi card. In addition, the on line TA we use offers inexpensive evacuation insurance to supplement our Medjet policy. I just hope we never have to use it!

We’ve had to cancel two cruises due to family deaths, and have found that as long as you supply the insurance company with EVERYTHING they request, reimbursement is timely.

BRA !!!!BRA!!!!BRA!!!!BRA!!!!

All I know a lot of TOP cruisers never buy insurance while making booking,they use GEO BLU.

I don't know why?

Many believe that GeoBlue offers the same evacuation coverage as MedJet. All I can say is read the policy carefully. We compared them prior to purchasing a blanket coverage. They are not the same.

You do need insurance to cover your cost of hospital stay and also the evacuation cost if you are on the ship. Med jet DO NOT cover your medical bills,It only provide transportation from the Hospital on land that you are hospitalized to the hospital where you desired to be treated, it needs the approval from the doctor that you are fit to travel.Also the hospital that willing to admit you as patient. Hope this is clear to everybody.

We would not travel without medjet. Having said that there is one important gotcha in the medjet policy. They will only assist if you are admitted to a hospital. If you are injured/sick, but not admitted to a hospital....they won’t cover you. Do not let a foreign hospital discharge you...do not discharge yourself.