Disaster....what would you do?

gepgelmik

I had my gallbladder out around Thanksgiving (nice timing huh?). I can't relate to going on a trip afterwards, but I can tell you how I felt afterwards. I was actually able to eat pretty much whatever I wanted, I ate within an hour of getting out of the hospital (I've heard of others not being able to eat properly for awhile though)... but walking was another matter. I was encouraged to go for walks by my doctor and I did, but I was super sore and walking for more than 30 minutes for the first week at a time was not happening. The pain wasn't that bad if you stay still and sit most of the day; I actually had painkillers left over, but the more I moved the more I hurt. I have 2 dogs and the doctor told me NOT to walk them for 2 weeks, so I had to have my mom come over and do it for me. I had to go to walmart for medicine on day 2 and I had to sit down every 10 minutes from exhaustion. I am lucky to have had help from my family. I'm not sure about car rides.. they didn't really bother me during that week... BUT I wasn't in the car for more than 10 minutes or more at a time.

Oh and editing after reading everyone's answers to add that my surgery went normal, no complications and I was kicked out right after the surgery after I came to... and like I said earlier I was so hungry I hobbled straight into Jimmy John's (it was the grand opening and I wasn't going to miss it!).... people were nice and let me sit down... like I said as long as I wasn't standing for more than 10-30 minutes the first few days I felt pretty much ok. I have unfortunally had bladder issues since having it taken out that I never had prior... but 5 years later I finally heard of Questran and it is a miracle drug <3. Just a tip if you have the same issues... don't wait 5 years to learn about it.

Edited by beccaseraph7
Adding stuff

My wife had her gall bladder removed and was up and walking around the same day. After a couple of days she was pretty much back to normal with restrictions on lifting things. There were three very small incisions that healed very quickly. If your doctor is OK with you going I would go and get lots of help moving and lifting things like luggage.

My wife had her gall bladder removed and was up and walking around the same day. After a couple of days she was pretty much back to normal with restrictions on lifting things. There were three very small incisions that healed very quickly. If your doctor is OK with you going I would go and get lots of help moving and lifting things like luggage.

Your wife was very lucky. My daughter had her gall bladder removed, and the doctor told her not to return to work until 4 days after surgery. It took her one week before the pain subsided.

Good luck. When is your cruise again?

jc

Hi everyone!

The cruise is Saturday the 18th, but I would need to leave Cleveland the morning before for the drive. I was discharged Tuesday evening and am now recuperating at my parents. I’m jealous of everyone who recovered quickly because I’m struggling. I have oxycodone which works for pain but makes me sleep. As an experiment to see if I’d be able to drive, I took just ibuprofen this afternoon. I was able to stay awake but wasn’t comfortable enough to drive.

I’m exhausted and sore and stifffen up horribly when I sit too long. I won’t be able to swim and I’m terrified I’ll eat something that will make me sick. I’m even annoyed that because I can’t reach my feet, I can’t paint my nails all pretty so I can wear sandals. As it stands this evening, it looks like I’ll be cancelling.

Hi everyone!

The cruise is Saturday the 18th, but I would need to leave Cleveland the morning before for the drive. I was discharged Tuesday evening and am now recuperating at my parents. I’m jealous of everyone who recovered quickly because I’m struggling. I have oxycodone which works for pain but makes me sleep. As an experiment to see if I’d be able to drive, I took just ibuprofen this afternoon. I was able to stay awake but wasn’t comfortable enough to drive.

I’m exhausted and sore and stifffen up horribly when I sit too long. I won’t be able to swim and I’m terrified I’ll eat something that will make me sick. I’m even annoyed that because I can’t reach my feet, I can’t paint my nails all pretty so I can wear sandals. As it stands this evening, it looks like I’ll be cancelling.

Only you know how you are feeling and what your limitations would be. Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best.

...I’m struggling. I have oxycodone which works for pain but makes me sleep.... As it stands this evening, it looks like I’ll be cancelling.

Oxy is amazing but yes, it makes you sleepy. I am so sorry you are in pain but I do agree with you cancelling your cruise.

Take care and God bless.

Hi everyone!

I am so sorry - I know how much you were looking forward to this cruise! I saw someone else mention last minute cruise deals for next week...or the week after. Any chance you could make one those happen? I hope you feel better soon. I have my gall bladder removed on Dec 7th.

Kathy

Being in that kind of pain, Cancelling is the right decision. I had mine out one morning, was home by 11:30 am and because I was nursing an infant, never had any pain medicine, (but also never felt I needed any). Clearly your gallbladder was angrier. I would be afraid of complications. One of my friend's had hers out, but a gallstone had gotten lodged in her bile duct. She was in a lot of pain for days after and she became so yellow that 4 days after her initial surgery, she was back in surgery to remove it. They are not likely to be able to handle emergencies/complications aboard the ship. Sorry you have to miss your trip. Congratulations on your degree though!

I’m actually on board now!

I started to feel much better Thursday, and drove to New Jersey without incident on Friday. I had one harrowing experience...the shuttle to the port was so bumpy it left me feeling ick for hours.

Some things aren’t as I envisioned. I can’t wear what I wanted because some items irritate incisions, I can’t go swimming, I’m still nervous about eating some of the stuff I wanted to try (high fat), and there are these norovirus protocols in place that also make me nervous.

All things considered (health, finances, scheduling),this turned out to be the right decision for me.

(And holy cow, this super studio on the hump is awesome!)

Yahoo! I came on here just to see if you ended up going or not. Very windy here today so guess the ship will be rocking. Maybe you will get a good night sleep. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums