In New Orleans before boarding...can we bring food on with us?

CruiseMomTX

We are sailing from New Orleans and wondering if we can bring food on with us when boarding or at any of our ports?

Thinking of grabbing some beignets at Cafe du Monde to eat on our balcony during sail away or if we have some leftovers from dinner the night before or early breakfast that mooring. What about some beef patties in Jamaica?

I know we can take packaged chips and snacks, that sort of thing but did know know about fresh food. Thanks for any help!

No.

Here's the policy, straight from the website:

• Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention. We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items.

not sure you can bring unsealed food aboard. IMHO biegnets are only good hot out of the fryer. there are much better biegnets than Cafe du Monde, but not as popular

Thank you and we have also tried Cafe Beignet, what other places do you suggest?

No.

Here's the policy, straight from the website:

• Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention. We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items.

Thank you and I appreciate you finding that information! Yes I know I could have looked it up myself but I also wanted to see what others thought or if anyone has actually taken homemade/pre-cooked onboard with success. As always I enjoy the discussion on these boards and the information nice people like you are helpful with.

I really can't tell you the name Cafe du Monde's line was 2 blocks. We asked a cab driver and he directed us to a really quaint bakery, excellent. Try Trip Advisor and ask about biegnets in NOLA

Get a nice big breakfast or lunch burrito made to order at Blue Iguanas and eat it out on your balcony. We love doing that! And it’s all wrapped up and easy to transport. We also get the mini boxes of cereal at breakfast and munch on them in our cabin or while out on an excursion. My daughter loves to grab a few chocolate milks at breakfast and put them in the cabin fridge. She’s a milkaholic! There’s plenty of free stuff on board that you can take back to your cabin to enjoy. No need to worry about bringing stuff along. Though beignets are pretty awesome. :)

Get a nice big breakfast or lunch burrito made to order at Blue Iguanas and eat it out on your balcony. We love doing that! And it’s all wrapped up and easy to transport. We also get the mini boxes of cereal at breakfast and munch on them in our cabin or while out on an excursion. My daughter loves to grab a few chocolate milks at breakfast and put them in the cabin fridge. She’s a milkaholic! There’s plenty of free stuff on board that you can take back to your cabin to enjoy. No need to worry about bringing stuff along. Though beignets are pretty awesome. :)

Thanks and we also like getting our pizza to go and taking back to our balcony to enjoy. Yes beignets are yummy and might not be the best when not fresh from the fryer but would be nice to enjoy with our wine at sail away. We will just have them before we board.

SaveSave

I was able to bring a bag of two beignets and the associated powdered sugar from the Riverwalk Cafe du Monde onboard the Triumph on 2/9/17. It was still in my jacket pocket when I put it on the belt. I didn't try to hide it. It never even occurred to me to check the food policy.

Thank you and we have also tried Cafe Beignet, what other places do you suggest?

Thank you and I appreciate you finding that information! Yes I know I could have looked it up myself but I also wanted to see what others thought or if anyone has actually taken homemade/pre-cooked onboard with success. As always I enjoy the discussion on these boards and the information nice people like you are helpful with.

Lorettas in the French Market, praline filled beignets to die for!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

Those sound delicious! Thanks!

Depends on the ship and the port. Just brought Churros onto the Inspiration.

:') Good to know and hope you enjoyed them onboard! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

SaveSave

SaveSave

I just drooled on my keyboard. ;p My mom used to make us fresh beignets on Saturdays when I was a kid. Mine are nowhere near as good, but my gumbo is fantastic.

I really can't tell you the name Cafe du Monde's line was 2 blocks. We asked a cab driver and he directed us to a really quaint bakery, excellent. Try Trip Advisor and ask about biegnets in NOLA

I agree. I had always heard about Café du Monde so I had to try it. Waited in line for almost an hour to order some biegnets to go -- not even table service. They were just OK. I'll try somewhere else next time.

But wherever you get them, eat them fresh and don't try to take onboard. As others have pointed out, they probably won't be allowed.

Cold beignets are yucky.

I would have to be very hungry to enjoy them, like lost in the wilderness eating weeds and bugs kind of hungry.

What about some Hubigs pies for the balcony?

Very New Orleans and they are packaged.

Sweet potato is really good or chocolate or even apple.

I'm sorry, it looks like Hubigs is out of business. :(

So so sad

Edited by mzloolue

We have brought some small things onto ships over the years with no problem not even thinking they ship might not want us to do it. Who knew?

However in general enough food that we already paid for is on the ship so we see no reason to bring on more

We've brought pre-packaged cajun trail mix for a snack & protein bars for scuba trips, but never anything that wasn't packaged. No problems with either of those. Unless you just have cravings for a specific snack item, there's usually no need to bring anything. But, sometimes you just have that go-to snack that the ship doesn't have.

Never understood why passengers bring food or bottled water, when they are abundantly available on the ship for free. Then there was the guy on one of our cruises who brought his own bottle of Tabasco sauce & carried it around in a pouch on his belt. Yes, they have condiments, too.

Never understood why passengers bring food or bottled water, when they are abundantly available on the ship for free. Then there was the guy on one of our cruises who brought his own bottle of Tabasco sauce & carried it around in a pouch on his belt. Yes, they have condiments, too.

While there is "abundantly available" food and water available on the ship included with your fare, bottled water is generally not complimentary and many prefer bottled (at least for excursions). Certain foods are also not abundantly available. While Tabasco usually is, I generally cannot find Red Hot (cayenne pepper sauce) - totally different tastes.

As long as it is allowed by the cruise line it doesn't matter to me what others bring on board:)