How far out do you book?

theSHAH

Hello all,

How far in advance do you book your hotel? I'm sailing on Jan 5th 2019 and haven't booked my flights yet and likely do not intend to for a little while longer. I have a feeling high traffic hotels such as around the port of Miami may fill up and raise prices sooner then flights. Would you book your hotels further out then your flights? At around what point do you pull your trigger on the room?

Bonus for any suggestions on Port of Miami hotels that offer free airport/cruise port shuttle transportation and are simply clean. (I know this information is abundant on this subforum, but figured to ask if you're already here).

Only hotels our near the MIA airport will offer "free" airport transport - and only a few of those also offer "free" port shuttles.

You are better off focusing on a hotel that meets your needs/budget, and then using Uber, Taxi or public transport. Look at the Hyatt, Doubletree, various Marriotts, Intercontinental, and the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell (and other hotels in the Mary Brickell area). Lots of local dining options and nightlife.

Are you planning to fly into FLL or MIA? :confused: Many choose to save $$ by flying into FLL and staying in FLL, and then using Uber or a shared shuttle to get to POM the morning of your cruise.

I usually book hotels right after I book the cruise -- book something that you can cancel with no penalty, and then keep shopping.

Only hotels our near the MIA airport will offer "free" airport transport - and only a few of those also offer "free" port shuttles.

You are better off focusing on a hotel that meets your needs/budget, and then using Uber, Taxi or public transport. Look at the Hyatt, Doubletree, various Marriotts, Intercontinental, and the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell (and other hotels in the Mary Brickell area). Lots of local dining options and nightlife.

Are you planning to fly into FLL or MIA? :confused: Many choose to save $$ by flying into FLL and staying in FLL, and then using Uber or a shared shuttle to get to POM the morning of your cruise.

I usually book hotels right after I book the cruise -- book something that you can cancel with no penalty, and then keep shopping.

I agree with JohninDC’s good summary of options. Also the “free” transport (where offered) is really part of the total one pays for lodging. It is a good advertising gimmick but the transport is not without charge ... it is just bundled into the room rate.

I book something right away, and keep an eye out for lower rates and increased availability. There's no downside to booking in advance unless you prepay, which I don't.

Roz

I book something right away, and keep an eye out for lower rates and increased availability. There's no downside to booking in advance unless you prepay, which I don't.

Roz

This is the answer. As long as it costs nothing to book a hotel, you should book early.

Airfares will not go down as you wait.

This is the answer. As long as it costs nothing to book a hotel, you should book early.

Airfares will not go down as you wait.

This. I search hotel/travel sites then book directly with the hotel. I look for senior, AAA or military discounts. I won't prepay and it must allow to cancel without charges at least 24 hours before check in date. It has worked very well for us. I have used the site where you name your price but I like knowing going in exactly where we are going to stay. Booking as far out as possible has always snagged a lower rate before check in.

I do as mentioned.

I book as far in advance as I can and take a fully refundable rate.

If prices go up I am protected. If they go down I lock in the new rate.

I do this pretty much anywhere.

Keith

We are going on a cruise the end of Jan 2019. I booked our air in March since it was a great deal. I also booked our hotel in March since it too was a great deal.

I only book directly on hotel sites and also book refundable rates. Everyone should note that most hotels are changing the cancelation policy to 48 hours or more out. So make sure you know the cancel by dates.

As for air, that is also booked directly with the airline. That way if there is a problem, the airline will work directly with you. Otherwise you have to go thru the company you booked with which can be a hassle.

I do as mentioned.

I book as far in advance as I can and take a fully refundable rate.

If prices go up I am protected. If they go down I lock in the new rate.

I do this pretty much anywhere.

Keith

I can second, or third this very good advice. I have now booked a Miami Hotel for April 2019. The stay for Upcoming November was booked this past January.

We have a March Break cruise next year and booked a hotel a couple weeks ago (when flights opened up)...so booking in advance by a little under a year. But this is a busy time so we booked early. It can be cancelled so I often check for either a lower price or if I see a better option, but at least we have something booked.

For our August cruise, we booked about 6 months in advance...once we confirmed we were going to go and booked flights. The time of arrival makes a difference too. For our cruises, we are getting in later afternoon/evening so we really just need some place clean with breakfast and stores nearby. For our March break cruise, we also need one night stay post cruise so criteria was different as we wanted something to do for the day (and near airport for early morning flight).

So...once we know our timing and flights (which dictates our hotel needs) we book something ...but something that can be cancelled.

Hi,

Does anyone have the name of good Hotels to stay st inMiami. My cruise with Carnival to the Eastern Caribbean is February 24,2019, but we are arriving a day early February 23rd Miami international Airport @3pm. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance

Hi,

Does anyone have the name of good Hotels to stay st inMiami. My cruise with Carnival to the Eastern Caribbean is February 24,2019, but we are arriving a day early February 23rd Miami international Airport @3pm. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance

Here is a list of hotels I recommend in Miami. It represents a wide range of pricing.

In terms of overall value, I would recommend Hampton Inn.

Keith

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Maquis (about four years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a list of hotels I recommend in Miami. It represents a wide range of pricing.

In terms of overall value, I would recommend Hampton Inn.

Keith

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Maquis (about four years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

Thanks for the help here! I am needing to book hotel in Miami soon too. This thread is helping!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wanted to add to Keith's list the brand new Hyatt Centric that opened here on Brickell. It's getting great reviews. The pool isn't open yet but should be shortly but the hotel looks great.

There is also the SLS Brickell which is another great hotel and yet another choice. Atton Brickell is yet another hotel here in the Brickell area and I know two parties that have stayed there and enjoyed their stay.

Wanted to add to Keith's list the brand new Hyatt Centric that opened here on Brickell. It's getting great reviews. The pool isn't open yet but should be shortly but the hotel looks great.

There is also the SLS Brickell which is another great hotel and yet another choice. Atton Brickell is yet another hotel here in the Brickell area and I know two parties that have stayed there and enjoyed their stay.

Haven't been to the SLS Brickell yet but the one in South Beach is one of my favorite hotels anywhere.

My cruise for May 2019 was booked in spring 2017. . Last spring/summer I started to look at the rates for hotels and air those dates in 2018, and made notes as to the prices and dates.....hoping they follow the same pattern for 2019. I did the same for airfare prices. Not sure if my theory will work or not, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Hello all,

How far in advance do you book your hotel? I'm sailing on Jan 5th 2019 and haven't booked my flights yet and likely do not intend to for a little while longer. I have a feeling high traffic hotels such as around the port of Miami may fill up and raise prices sooner then flights. Would you book your hotels further out then your flights? At around what point do you pull your trigger on the room?

Bonus for any suggestions on Port of Miami hotels that offer free airport/cruise port shuttle transportation and are simply clean. (I know this information is abundant on this subforum, but figured to ask if you're already here).

We are cruising in March 2019. Have had the hotel (Hampton Inn Brickell) booked for a little over a month. In that time I have seen the price increase, drop (so I cancelled and rebooked) and increase again. I just try to check on weekend mornings with my coffee. :) And we loved that hotel - were just there this past April. Great value, clean rooms, nice pool and close to lots of restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...
My cruise for May 2019 was booked in spring 2017. . Last spring/summer I started to look at the rates for hotels and air those dates in 2018, and made notes as to the prices and dates.....hoping they follow the same pattern for 2019. I did the same for airfare prices. Not sure if my theory will work or not, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

I do a similar thing and it has generally worked out - or at least I have some valid data from which to make decisions on when to act....

I also tend to check pricing every couple days or so after I have made a reservation - to see if something better is available at same or lower cost.... If I find a smoking deal I will take the plunge and book a non-refundable hotel, and again by the data from the research you know when to do that.... I don't generally book non-refundable until 30-60 days out (unless again its really a smoking deal...).

I just booked our hotel for our April 2019 cruise from FLL. I got a great AARP rate at an agreeable hotel (cancellable until 2 days before arrival). The very next day, that hotel shot up 49%! So always cross reference over the hotel's website too as consolidators like Orbitz/Kayak, etc. generally don't show affinity rates like AARP, AAA, etc.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX