Which cruise lines have dispensed with the silly deck games and lame deck parties?

albether7

Anyone else out there who misses the real deck parties?

Look...I know there's going t be some, fine with me, BUT,

These "color war" competitions may be great for new cruisers, or those that like a "Carni" or summer camp atmosphere.

I've had enough of:

=the hairy chest contests, etc,

=the CD advertising bingo,

=the constant reminders of this being your "absolute":p last chance to get in on the art show... or port shopping or what ever.

I'm looking for the classic deck party with a great party-band without

the " Buzz-kill" of "Color wars" and artificial pumping-up of the party by staff.:eek:

So where are the ships that aren't into the cheapening of the deck experience??

AL out!

Anyone else out there who misses the real deck parties?

Look...I know there's going t be some, fine with me, BUT,

These "color war" competitions may be great for new cruisers, or those that like a "Carni" or summer camp atmosphere.

I've had enough of:

=the hairy chest contests, etc,

=the CD advertising bingo,

=the constant reminders of this being your "absolute":p last chance to get in on the art show... or port shopping or what ever.

I'm looking for the classic deck party with a great party-band without

the " Buzz-kill" of "Color wars" and artificial pumping-up of the party by staff.:eek:

So where are the ships that aren't into the cheapening of the deck experience??

AL out!

Well, I thought the best party was on Paul Gauguin (only 320 passengers) in Tahiti. They had a a pool party that was like a county fair. You went around and played silly games to win things. I recall someone tying a rope around my waist with a mango hanging. My husband did the same. We then raced each other on trying to swing the mango to hit an avocado to a certain distance.

This was near the end of the cruise and I kept requesting Bread Fruit from the chef. I still hadn't gotten it. Well, one of the games had the chefs behind a cute painted board with wholes cut out for their heads. You were given whip cream pies to try to throw at them. I took aim a the head chef and yelled "Where's my bread fruit!?!" I nailed him! :D The next day there was bread fruit! There were many other games. I think it was the best pool deck party we've been to.

Celebrity has none of those silly games. They have maybe one deck party, but no one says you have to attend. You will not see the hairy chest contests or stuff your bathing suit competitions on Celebrity.

Historically that has been true, but on my last cruise I was kind of surprised that they held a handful of loud pool games. One day I was taking a nap out by the pool and they held an air guitar contest complete with very loud music and the activities staff trying to rile up the crowd. It actually turned out to be fairly entertaining, but definitely something I would have associated with RCI or Carnival.

Historically that has been true, but on my last cruise I was kind of surprised that they held a handful of loud pool games. One day I was taking a nap out by the pool and they held an air guitar contest complete with very loud music and the activities staff trying to rile up the crowd. It actually turned out to be fairly entertaining, but definitely something I would have associated with RCI or Carnival.

You're right on that. But I guess it's all a part of who the cruise director is at the time. There's one in Celebrity's fleet who came from Carnival, so that might be the reason.

It isn't just Celebrity. On my last Princess cruise, just in Nov., they had a new cruise director that I thought was very annoying. Multiple announcements during the day, that we could hear out in the hallway, even though our cabin door was shut. And the program listed a Hairy Chest Contest! He eliminated some things that I had last year on Diamond and Emerals, such as the last night balloon drop in the Piazza, and the 'If I were not upon the Sea, which was usually at the end of the crew show. EM

It isn't just Celebrity. On my last Princess cruise, just in Nov., they had a new cruise director that I thought was very annoying. Multiple announcements during the day, that we could hear out in the hallway, even though our cabin door was shut. And the program listed a Hairy Chest Contest! He eliminated some things that I had last year on Diamond and Emerals, such as the last night balloon drop in the Piazza, and the 'If I were not upon the Sea, which was usually at the end of the crew show. EM

The C.D.s on Coral Princess make no such announcements, to my knowledge, and I have never heard of a 'Hairy Chest Contest' on any Princess ships that I have sailed on.

I normally listen to the C.D. on the TV, and that is about it.

john

I don't recall any hairy chest contests on the four Princess cruises I've been on, but have on my Carnival cruises as well as a lip sync contest that had a lot of innuendo to it.

On our December cruise on the Golden Princess, the deck party involved music, dancing and food.

We were just on Celebrity and one thing I loved was the absence of the annoying announcements all day. It made the cruise peaceful and serence. There were two deck parties which were nicely done with live music and dancers.

However, they did have a number of games in and around the pool area on sea days. Definitely not hairy chest or anything like that but officers vs. guest volleyball, golf putting contest, etc. Rich, the CD on the Millie, wasn't very good IMO, but the Activities Director was great.

On our recent Noordam cruises -- we had the Belly Flop pool games.

One thing I wish HAL would get rid of -- the ship building contests. They used to be fun. Years ago people would actually get on the ship and start to built a ship from scratch. Now there are a couple of people who get on the ship with all the materials they need to build a ship. Once couple on a cruise we were on actually had started their ship before they even got on the ship!!

Archived