Ship Time

Ship Time: what does that mean? For instance when we get on our ship at 2:00pm in Seattle, will that be what clocks on the ship say too? when we arrive a few days later in San Francisco, will my watch and ship time still be same or do we change to SF time? or do they keep time a whole different way? Thanks. from a newbie.

Ship Time: what does that mean? For instance when we get on our ship at 2:00pm in Seattle, will that be what clocks on the ship say too? when we arrive a few days later in San Francisco, will my watch and ship time still be same or do we change to SF time? or do they keep time a whole different way? Thanks. from a newbie.

My experience is that "ship time" is not always the same as the time zone the ship is actually in. We turned on the TV to check the time, their info station had it. The Patters (we were on Princess) also had when to move clocks back or ahead. If you are in port, be sure you know if the Ship time is in sync with local time, I would think it is?

SF and Seattle are in the same time zone, so you are fine there.

Seattle and SF time are the same, and the ship time will very likely match.

Ship time is usually based on the time zone from your departure port. It remains the same during the cruise. As Bob pointed out, Seattle and San Francisco are the same time zone.

Doesn't always stay the same as Port you left. Can change on Royal once or twice as Caribbean cruises I sail do...

Time zones change, ship time does not.
It's up to the Captain. We've changed ship time on some Caribbean cruises, and not changed others. Same itinerary.
Agree have been on cruises where ship time has stayed consistent the entire cruise even when the ports visited where different times, however have also been on cruises where the ship changed time to match local port times. No way to know 100% what will happen on a specific sailing.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

It's up to the Captain. We've changed ship time on some Caribbean cruises, and not changed others. Same itinerary.

I second that, and this is a good reason to listen to the Cruise Director's morning show, this info is usually a priority on their show.

My first two cruises to Cozumel (Obviously doesn't apply to the OP) the used ship's time and I think Cozumel and Sr Frogs helped create the legendary port runners here. My last time in Cozumel (2015 Freedom, they stated onboard time as local time.

Why would you repeat your so obviously wrong statements when others have said otherwise already?

I´ve never been on a cruise where the ship did not adjust the time accordingly to the time zone of the next port, even if it meant a time change about every day and sometimes even a half hour time change. However I know it´s not a hard and fast rule and there are ships that don´t do that.

Ship time is usually based on the time zone from your departure port. It remains the same during the cruise. As Bob pointed out, Seattle and San Francisco are the same time zone.

So when I´ve cruised Civitavecchia to Singapore or Galveston to San Diego or New York to Southampton.....you really think the ship time was based on departure port and we ended up at our destination with the ships clock being several hours behind or ahead of the local time?:rolleyes:

So, I learned something new! I've never had the time change on board but could see that on a TA cruise, for example!

Truly believe that ship's time, especially when talking an hour or so in the Caribbean or Mexico, is set by the captain.

Several years ago we were on an RC ship and realized friends, also cruising RC, on a different ship, were in port at the same day. We made arrangements to meet for lunch. Although the ships docked within half an hour of each other and were departing within about an hour of each other, the ship's time was different. Fortunately we were able to communicate and meet. This was in Puerto Vallarta.

Incorrect, it can. Ship time changes on the multiple Caribbean cruises I take every yr, can be same as Port but at times not.. Nothing new, been cruising with Royal for 30+ yrs and first cruise I took the Ship time changed, then changed back before we returned.

Always change your watch to Ship time, Captain will let you know...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I guess I will have to check because my last 10 cruises in the Caribbean ship time did not change (adjust) to any time zone changes. I do know that it is up to the captain and some choice to change I just haven’t been on a ship that has changed leaving from Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've also seen it both ways, on Princess they changed ship's time during a Caribbean cruise, on RCCL never.

The good news is that it's always made very clear so no one misses the ship. If ship's time and port time is different there are many signs, reminders etc.

It is only an issue if you are booking a local tour in advance and need to coordinate meeting times. You can always google the port and there will be a schedule of ship's arrivals in local time so you can use this as a reference.

I just use my world clock on my iPhone, one clock is always set to ship's time as a reference.

Here's some interesting history, in the days of sail, they took a daily "noon sighting" of the sun with their sextants, which was easy because it was simply when the sun was at its highest angle above the horizon as measured with the sextant. They then declared it noon on the ship and started the day's watch schedule etc. Thus the "ship's time" changed gradually a few minutes per day as they sailed around the world.

thanks for reply everyone although i am still a bit unsure :) i will make sure watch or phone matches the ships clock when getting off the ship at ports.. on board it will always be HAPPY HOUR !! Cheers everyone..

thanks for reply everyone although i am still a bit unsure :) i will make sure watch or phone matches the ships clock when getting off the ship at ports.. on board it will always be HAPPY HOUR !! Cheers everyone..

DON'T RELY ON YOUR PHONE. If your phone connects with a cell tower (or I think a wifi signal can do it), it can reset to local time.

DON’T use your phone.

I have an old Timex digital sports watch, that is strapped to one of the loops on my “shore” back pack, never remove it, and it is ALWAYS on ship time. (Side note-I set two alarms on the watch at each stop. One for 90 minutes before all aboard and another for 60 minutes)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums