Is it possible to pay to upgrade once onboard?

I will be boarding Allure of the Seas in 3 wks, currently in an inside cabin but I see prices have dropped significantly for a balcony. Of course when I called they say it applies to new bookings only So my question is, is it possible to pay to upgrade once onboard or at the time of boarding?

Thanks in advance :D:D

I will be boarding Allure of the Seas in 3 wks, currently in an inside cabin but I see prices have dropped significantly for a balcony. Of course when I called they say it applies to new bookings only So my question is, is it possible to pay to upgrade once onboard or at the time of boarding?

Thanks in advance :D:D

1. Try calling again. You will often get a different outcome from different people.

2. No, you can't upgrade on board. They take care of filling all of the cabins before the ship sails. It used to be that you could ask at the pier, but no longer. The chances of finding an available cabin above your category after the ship has sailed is between slim and none, and slim just walked out the door. :D

When you call you are basically cancelling your current reservation and getting a new one. You can't get money back on what you paid, but you should be able to upgrade to a better cabin for the same, or maybe a little more, than what you initially paid if they have one available. On our last cruise we moved from one ocean view to two balcony rooms for around $200 or a little less. They should be able to get yours moved to an upgraded cabin by phone.

When you call you are basically cancelling your current reservation and getting a new one. You can't get money back on what you paid, but you should be able to upgrade to a better cabin for the same, or maybe a little more, than what you initially paid if they have one available. On our last cruise we moved from one ocean view to two balcony rooms for around $200 or a little less. They should be able to get yours moved to an upgraded cabin by phone.

I don't believe you're "cancelling" and I would always avoid using that wording. You're asking about ugrading your cabin category...your booking number will stay the same...some terms of your booking may or may not change like OBC.

I don't believe you're "cancelling" and I would always avoid using that wording. You're asking about ugrading your cabin category...your booking number will stay the same...some terms of your booking may or may not change like OBC.

Totally agree. Always ask what would it cost to upgrade. Often after a new bookings only sale, you can get that same price as an upgrade. Keep calling.

You are right in that I wouldn't ask to cancel and then book. You ask for the upgrade. Maybe transferring cabins is a better term. They do have to cancel out the room you are booked in though and then book the new room. That's all I meant by cancelling. The money you already paid is transferred to the new room and you pay any difference. I also termed it as cancelling because of the possible changes of some of the terms, such as OBC. You may lose some of the credit if they aren't offering the same amount.

You are not "basically cancelling" when trying for an upgrade.You just explained exactly what the OP already called and asked for

You are right in that I wouldn't ask to cancel and then book. You ask for the upgrade. Maybe transferring cabins is a better term. They do have to cancel out the room you are booked in though and then book the new room. That's all I meant by cancelling. The money you already paid is transferred to the new room and you pay any difference. I also termed it as cancelling because of the possible changes of some of the terms, such as OBC. You may lose some of the credit if they aren't offering the same amount.

No. Again as other posters have said never use word Cancel, you wouldn't be doing that. A change of cabin is just that, though another has to be available and you might have to pay more, possibly a lot. But be aware for the upgraded cabin availability average Royal passenger totals has for years sailed at above 104% capacity. Last time I regularly saw available cabins at pier was right after 9/11 2001...

Thank you, I will try calling again. It's not a big deal really, it's pour first cruise so I'm sure we'll enjoy it regardless of the room we are in.

Beware, our first cruise was in an inside cabin. With upper and lower bunks no less. Instant addiction and 34 years and 53 cruises later, we’re still addicted.

Went to porthole cabins to outsides with a window to balcony to jr suites.

I hope this first cruise is just as glorious as ours was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Beware, our first cruise was in an inside cabin. With upper and lower bunks no less. Instant addiction and 34 years and 53 cruises later, we’re still addicted.

Went to porthole cabins to outsides with a window to balcony to jr suites.

I hope this first cruise is just as glorious as ours was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have the bug too, I see. Yep...one cruise was all it took. No if I'm not reading about cruises or talking about it, I'm looking to book another...

No. Again as other posters have said never use word Cancel, you wouldn't be doing that. A change of cabin is just that, though another has to be available and you might have to pay more, possibly a lot. But be aware for the upgraded cabin availability average Royal passenger totals has for years sailed at above 104% capacity. Last time I regularly saw available cabins at pier was right after 9/11 2001...

I really wasn't trying to start a debate on here. I already agreed that the term transferring would be better.

I upgrade when I see price drops many times. You simply use the same reservation number and pay the difference. I have upgraded for very little money

and sometimes for no extra charge at all when prices drop after final payment.

Agree...call back again, ask how much to upgrade, and good luck! :D

If you upgrade but have already made mtd dining reservations, show reservations, etc., do they stay or do you have to re-do them?

They usually carry over but you have to re-confirm (I know, though to do with the new web site). Some things do get lost - like M&M invitations.

If you upgrade but have already made mtd dining reservations, show reservations, etc., do they stay or do you have to re-do them?

Normally your reservations are connected with your reservation booking number, which stays the same. But like Biker said...with the new website and all the problems the RCI IT demons :evilsmile: are giving us...would pay to recheck. :o

When we were on the Allure maybe 3 years ago, the sign was up stating “ship is full”. I went to guest services immediately when we boarded and put my name on a list. I think there were 5 names above mine. To be honest, I had forgotten about it. We received a call the next afternoon from guest services. They offered us an upgrade to a suite (not Jr. higher) but the cost was like $3k. I told them thanks but no thanks, we were already settled into our balcony. We hadn’t paId that much for our balcony cabin total. You have to ask at guest services, this isn’t something that is advertised. You never know until you ask! ��

When we went from one room to two, the people with the same reservation number kept the reservations and planned items for everything. The new room had a new, second reservation number and all their items were cancelled. We had to go back on cruise planner & rebook everything for the people in the second room. It wasn't a big deal to do.