Any benefits to port shopping talks?

I saw in a really old post that at the port shopping talks there is a coupon book you can buy that might get you drink deals or other things. Despite searching I have not found an answer about if they still do this. Anyone have details on this? If not, is there any benefit to going?

Going on Anthem at the end of March.

Thanks in advance.

Just off Grandeur, so this might not apply fleet wide. The shopping talk is about promoting those merchants that pay the cruise line. The "book" you are referring to was an item you pay for in the past. Now, there is a limited number of books available to the first X amount of people attending. Not true, as I saw piles of them by the port shopping guide at the gangway on the first port. You might win a prize. One cruise, I won the grand prize of a diamond necklace. It will be replayed all the time during the cruise, and you can ask for the cards at the port shopping desk as well, so I do not think it is that important to attend. That being said, if this is your first time in port, you might want to go, but just realize that only those merchants that pay will be represented in this "commercial". Better to ask questions here about shopping, but always trust yourself when it comes to major purchases.

On Grandeur, they let us know that St. Kitts might not be the best place to buy jewelry from someone not represented. They did not ention names, but said there was an incident where an upgraded stone was switched from diamond to CZ. If it looks to good to be true, it is. So, high end jewelry (based on your own perspective), I go to jewelers that I have dealt with in the past, or are well known.

Regards,

Mike

Truthfully I plan to purchase nothing of any significant value in port. I'm way to skeptic to go purchase diamonds in another country. I have never had any interest at all in going. A few days ago though I was reading some thread entitled "hidden secrets of RC" or something like that and someone mentioned that you go to the port shopping talk and you can purchase some binder that also has coupons for services on the boat and half price drinks on the boat. I don't buy the drink package because I'm not really much of a drinker so a cocktail a few times on the boat is plenty. I might not go to a speciality restaurant for lunch but might with a good deal., etc...

But...if it's 1.5 hrs of my life that I'll never get back, I won't waste my time.

Mrs. King often goes...sometimes I tag along.

I actually find them valuable if it's the first time I am going to the port.

If you are planning an expensive purchase it gives yu a starting point for a price comparison. I was pricing watches, just on a whim, and the recommended merchant had pretty competitive pricing. I don't remember if they were the lowest, but, they were right there. YMMV

If I'm going in the pool or lining up for FlowRider the wife goes to a port shopping talk to kill an hour or so but doesn't take any of the coupons unless she is really considering purchasing something(which happens rarely) and as she points out its less harmful than going to WJ or Sorrentos.

Do they still do these? I went to a couple years ago and thought they were a huge waste of time, but I am not a huge "shopper" so maybe it is just my take on it. :)

Yes, they still do these. The stores are paying the cruise line to drive the passengers to their stores.

Yes, they still do these. The stores are paying the cruise line to drive the passengers to their stores.

That is the feeling I got when I did go years ago...just a big sales pitch kind of like a circus barker!!! ;):D

That is the feeling I got when I did go years ago...just a big sales pitch kind of like a circus barker!!! ;):D

The only times I've seen real (non-infomercial) port talks has been on transatlantic cruises. Those are more cultural/historical and can be very interesting.

Those "coupon" books you purchase, unless you are going to purchase everything in the book....a waste of money. As mentioned, most of those shops with the "coupons" are "come on's" to get you into their store. IF you want coupons, try googling the specific island. Most have a tourism webpage, with coupons for the local business' no strings attached.

You will find out which merchants have paid the cruise line to be included in the talks.

^^^^^^

Yep. Pretty much a waste of time. The cruise lines push you to their "recommended" merchants (i.e. the one who give a kickback to the cruise lines for being one of their recommended merchants) and push their stuff. We went to two of them over the last 15 years or so. The prizes they offer are for the most part junk or not worth wasting an hour of your time for.

The coupon book is free and is mostly ads. I have found that they hand out the book at the beginning of the talk so just show up for that and then leave if you want. As mentioned if you attend the talk all the way to the end you might win a prize. Also, chances are that the coupon book will be available at the port shopping desk after the talk is over. Once I stopped by the port shopping desk to pick up a free charm for my wife (big spender I am) and that took all of 15 seconds and some feigned interest.

BTW when they say "shopping" they mostly mean "jewelry shopping" not clothing or art or much of anything else. The stores in the Caribbean can sell jewelry at high enough volumes to supposedly make it profitable so this is the focus of the talks.

When I first started cruising, I went to those "shopping" talks, got the map for the "free gifts" Those "gift" are laughable. I have so many loose "stones"...colored glass, the "diamond" earrings....HA, they should be arrested for false advertising....free sunglasses, bamboo "necklaces" and the list goes on.....Now, I don't have the time or patience to deal with that junk.

The only times I've seen real (non-infomercial) port talks has been on transatlantic cruises. Those are more cultural/historical and can be very interesting.

Totally agree with this. On Rccl I think they were called "enrichment seminars" or something like that and they were extremely interesting and given by people who really seemed to know their "stuff" .

Totally agree with this. On Rccl I think they were called "enrichment seminars" or something like that and they were extremely interesting and given by people who really seemed to know their "stuff" .

During my recent Navigator cruises, we had several enrichment lectures, including topics such as:

• Psychology and your memory
  • How safe is air travel?
  • How does an airplane fly?
  • A talk about policing
  • Using DNA to solve a murder case

The lectures about flying were given by a pilot and those about policing/crime were by a Scotland Yard detective. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think there were non-shopping port talks about the ABC islands or the other ports.